No announcement yet.

Amaya for Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some very good points about an embroidery business made in previous posts.

I think many newcomers to embroidery are ill informed and unrealistic about their business expectations because they are often fed a lot of misinformation by company advertising, overzealous sales people and clueless friends, family or advisors.

How many in this group have heard:

- if you have an embroidery machine, all you do is pop in the design hit a button and the machine does all the work.

- with this digitizing software, it is very easy to create your own designs.

- you will learn all you need to know about embroidery in our 2 day training course

- buy this machine / software and you will be able to quit your job and be your own boss

- the potential for a return on your investment is very good

The truth is, embroidery has a huge learning curve and there is no such thing as instant success and riches in this business.

It takes months to learn and understand machine operation, maintenance and adjustment. Add to that all there is to know about stabilization, hooping, material characteristics, solving stitching problems, etc. and for many people it simple becomes overwhelming.

For those who wish to learn to digitize, expect to spend months at it before you even begin to grasp what it takes to make a good design. The good digitizers are the ones who have years of experience, knowledge and practice under their belt. Buying digitizing software does not make someone a digitizer.

Most newcomers who start an embroidery business can expect to lose money [or at best clear very little] in that first year or two of operation.

Not trying to discourage anyone here .....just being realistic.

Bob

Comment

Okay. Here's my story. Started off with a reposessed AMAYA and DS Pro+. Did my homework before I bought. I wanted a platform where I could add a machine if needed, although I had NO intentions of adding more machines.

Started in my house (and still am), with no intention of quiting my day job. This was an endeavor to bring in more income, work from home, have some fun, and get out of the business in 5 or 6 years after recouping startup costs and making some profit.

Just started my 3rd year (June) and I am up to 3 machines, still in the house. I should have all of my costs recouped by early 2008 if not sooner.

I'm spending about 30 hours a week at the embroidery/digitizing and range from $500 to $3500 a month PROFIT. I have no overhead costs, so my prices are very reasonable and I DO NOT ADVERTISE.

I don't even have business cards right now.

Have I thought about throwing in the towel? Yep, lots of times. Have I thought about going full time? Yep, a few times.

My point is, I haven't failed because I did my homework before I started the business and I left myself options for expansion even thought I didn't think I would expand. I knew what my competition was charging and I knew my only niche would be quality vs. quantity.

I took advantage of "free" floorspace in my home and kept overhead costs to a minimum. I also kept my day job and was sure that I could pay the bills.

The most important part of my success was the fact that I purchased my first machine for cash. No monthly payments and no pressure to get work done. I allowed myself a learning period. The additional machines I added a few months ago I paid cash for one and financed the second. I have a monthly payment on that one, but am established now with a monthly income from the business, so no worries.

I think businesses fail because of poor preparation either in startup or expansion. Faith is good, but blind faith in business is known as foreclosure!

Comment

Mr. or Ms. Pure(Embroidery),
        Excellent story. Glad to see you are a success.
        I once read a sign in someone's shop that said something similar and it always stuck in my head.

"Proper Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance or Products".

Ed
        -The Embroidery Authority-<br /><br />\"Turning your Problems into Production.\"<br />Ed Orantes<br />504-258-6260

Comment

Working...
        X