Get a scalpel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get a scalpel

I have struggled for a long time about the best way to rip out stitches. Seam rippers are kinda dull, even the best ones. Razor blades are too large to give the precision needed to hit just the bobbin threads.

I found a pointed end scalpel. BARELY touching it to the bobbin threads produces wonderous, immediate results. You'll still need a seam ripper for the walking stitches in the underlays, and you'll have to be careful where you touch the scalpel. I am here to tell you it does a heck of a job. Super fast, super clean, no garment distortion, and about $2 each. I am hooked.

That sounds like a great addition to Peggy's stitch eraser, Judy! Just as long as you have the patience for it. Thank you for sharing that little tidbit.

[ January 04, 2012, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: gcannon ]
    Gregory

Comment

That does sound like a great tool. Could you share where you purchased the scalpel?

Thanks

Comment

In California you can't buy them with the blade attached...or so they told me at the medical supply store. So I bought a disecting kit with the handle separate from the blade. I have to tell you that was the worst scalpel I have ever seen. bbbbbuuuuuttttttttttt

I was helping my dad with one of his real estate listings, which was for a hydroponics store. I was taking pictures for him and spotted them on the shelf there. They come encased in foil wrap, blade attached to handle, with a cap for the blade. I haven't checked eBay yet, so am wondering if they might be there.

Comment

I have used an Olfa KB art knife for years. It's a bit easier to control than the longer blade of an Exacto knife and readily available on-line for under $10 for the knife with a few blades and a 25-pack of extra blades at olfaproducts.com. I don't know how it compares with a scalpel, but the tip is very fine. I save the blades for cutting other stuff with when they are no longer sharp enough for cutting bobbin threads.

Comment

Working...
          X