Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amaya XT: Share your experience

Dear Amaya XT users,

Was wondering if I could get some feedback from Amaya XT Users on what your overall experience has been with

1.) Melco training and Tech Support

2.) Design Shop Software.......was the training adequate? Are there any issues with compatbility/glitches in software/ system freeze-ups?

3.) And how about the machine itself? Quality/reliability/durability issues?

I just got through with two days of touring both Tajima and Melco equipment. I am looking for feedback from real Users of the equipment. Any and all comments appreciated!

Thank You...............

Mike Corforte

I can only answer 1 and 2 since I do not have an Amaya but have an older Melco machine.
    1) Melco training and Tech Support - I took my training in New Jersey and John(the trainer) has been with Melco for many years(He tought my parents thier first machine in 1993) and really knows his stuff. He can walk through anything in DesignShop blindfolded and answer any question correctly the first time. You didn't say what state you live in so I don't know if NJ is where you will be training. Phone Support - The guys really know what they talking about and have been able to walk through all my problems. I'm lucky enough to have a tech that lives about 30 miles from me so I can someone here in a hurry if the machine is down.
    2) Design Shop - From what I have seen here, you will want a computer with lots of memory (at least 512mb) or you will experience problems. I have 1gb of memory in my computer and it runs fine. My old computer had 256mb of ram and kept crashing DesignShop.

No matter which machine you buy, plan on spending a couple hundred dollars on additional stuff like thread, scissors, backing, hooper, work table, bobbins, machine oil, and maybe some extra hoops. Some companies give you just enough supplies to get started but you will soon find out it isn't enough.

Comment

Steve,

Thanks for your reply. I live in NJ also...up in the Northwest corner in Sussex County. So I will be taking my training in Atlantic Highlands. Heard all about John already...but when it comes from a sales person you don't know how much is hype and how much is true. Glad to hear of your positive experience.

Thanks again,
      Mike

Comment

Mike

First, you are wise to make training and support a big part of your decision on which machine to buy and I think most will agree that either Melco or Tajima will serve you well in that area. Having a good qualified tech near by is always a big bonus [means less $$ out of your pocket if you need to bring one in].

Second, you do not have to purchase the software which the machine dealer sells [whether you go with the Amaya or Tajima]. You are free to choose any software you like as long as it will save in a format that your machine can read .... which now generally means DST. Both Design Shop [Melco] and Pulse [Tajima] offer good software but there certainly are others also. Embroidery programs can be a big investment, put as much time and effort into researching your software as you do the machine. Find what is best for you ... do not limit your choices to what the machine dealer sells.

Last, there is no "best" embroidery machine ... instead there are a number of very good ones. Find the machine that you feel comfortable with, the one that you are convinced will offer you long reliable service and choose from a dealer who will be there to provide the after sales service / support which is so important. Both the Amaya and Tajima each have their own advantages and disadvantages ... it will be up to you to decide which you prefer.

Just remember when it comes to embroidery machines and software, there is no such thing as the "best" .... there is only what is "best" for you.

Good luck

Bob

Comment

Bob,

Thanks for the objective advice. Can you tell me what kind of equipment and software you operate and what your experience has been?

Thanks,

Mike

Comment

Hi Mike

As far as machine, we use a Tajima and have been very happy with both the machine and support.

Now having said that, it does not mean that I think everyone should go out and buy a Tajima. I do however believe that for anyone considering the purchase of an embroidery machine, the Tajima is well worth considering ... as are the Amaya, Barudan, Happy, ZSK, SWF, Toyota and Brother. My personal opinion on most Chinese machines [especially the multi-heads] is less enthusiastic ... at least until they have been in North America long enough to prove themselves.

The Amaya is more technologically advanced than any other embroidery machine [auto thread tensioning, software controlled presser foot adjustments, etc.] and this technology does provide advantages such as higher stitching speed. Technology though, can also have its own set of disadvantages and because of this some may prefer a machine less technologically advanced. There really is no right or wrong here ... just personal preference and comfort.

Regardless of which machine you purchase, learning to properly operate, adjust and maintain that machine will be a key factor in how the machine performs. It doesn't really matter if its an Amaya or Tajima, using the machine does have a learning curve.

For software, we use Embird and low level Pulse. Again, this does not mean that I think everyone should be going out and purchasing either of these ... it is only what I like to use and what I feel comfortable with.

Embird software will often be scoffed at by the "big boy" software companies but do not judge it by its very low price. Embird is powerful, flexible, quality software which provides the user with complete control over all parameters of a design and it certainly is very capable of handling the needs of most embroiderers.

Software choice can often boil down to personal preference so take your time and research as many of the good programs available as possible. Check out ones like Design Shop, Pulse, Wilcom, Embird, iPunch, TES, Wings, Sierra, Design Maxx, Punto [apparently can mork with Mac computers], SEDS, etc.

Regardless of which software you choose, having a full understanding of embroidery basics [densities, underlay stitches, push-pull effect, etc.] goes a long way in creating quality work. To learn embroidery basics, look into good non-software specific tutorials like John Deer's "Creative Digitizing Made Easy" DVD's, Thomas Moore's book "Digitizing 101" or Trevor Conguergood's online embroidery design lessons. Any of these will make understanding what to do with your embroidery software so much easier, regardless of software brand chosen.

Bob

Comment

Hi Bob,

I appreciate your advice! I found Moore's book "Digitizing 101" while doing a Google search a few days ago and was going to ask some people their opinion of it. Since you recommend it, I may just buy it. Would purchasing the DVD's by John Deer just be redundant? Or would you recommend one over the other?

We also did the Tajima tour last Wed and were impressed by the equipment...built like Bull Dozers, good training and support.

But a number of things have me leaning towards the AMAYA XT:
              1. The modular concept adds a greater dimension of flexibility.
              2. Two AMAYA XT Heads are about $6,000.00 less than a Tajima M series 1502 (2 head)
              3. The AMAYA @ 210lbs is portable.......the Tajima at some 550lbs (1 Head) is not.
              4. Training and support appears to be about the same with both companies.
              5. There is a noticable speed advantage with the AMAYA XT
              6. The Auto Tensioning feature seems to be a really big plus. Other USERS say that it works well.

These are my conclusions so far.....

Thanks,

Mike

Comment

Hi Mike

Both Thomas Moore Jr.'s book and John Deer's DVD's contain valuable info. Some of this info will be common to both and some will be unique.

The "Digitizing 101" book tends to cover more aspects of embroidery [things like fabrics, basic digitizing info, pricing, business tips, etc.] than John's DVD's. On the other hand, the DVD's go much deeper into the art of digitizing and will take the viewer from embroidery basics to advanced techniques.

If you are considering buying "Digitizing 101", by all means do it. This book is a very good introduction to embroidery .... but keep John Deer's "Creative Digitizing Made Easy" DVD's in mind for your next purchase [especially if you eventually wish to digitize most or all of your own designs ].

If you like the Amaya and feel comfortable with it, then it certainly can be a very good choice for you. Also, the Amaya is definitely the king when it comes to stitching speed.

However, just to clear up a couple of things regarding the Tajima. It looks like you may have been comparing the full size 2 head Tajima M series machine to the Amaya and that is fine but Tajima also has another option for you ... the Neo [200lbs, networkable, etc] which may be worth looking at also.

A couple of more points on the Neo 1) a new model Neo will be available very soon - dealers now have a few of them 2) if you are interested in the Neo, also check out the Toyota ESP9300 .... except for some cosmetic plastic and possibly software, they are the same machine [Tajima head and cap frame coupled with a Toyota pantograph and control system].

Regardless on which machine you decide on, you should be congratulated on the effort and research you are doing to find the machine that best fits your needs. In the end, your shop will have the right machine.

Good luck

Bob

Comment

I heard rumors that Tajima is adding USB to the NEO(Right now it is network or floppy disk.)Usually new models get released at the Long Beach show in January.

Comment

The already released Toyota ESP9003 has a USB port so I think you are probably right about the Neo having a USB port as well.

Guess we have to wait and see.

Bob

Comment

Thanks Bob........

I will look into that Tajima Neo.

Mike

Comment

Bob,

I was able to download a PDF file from Tajima on the NEO. I will have to look closely at this!

I spent 3 hours at the Tajima facility on Long Island last week and NO ONE even mentioned the NEO to me!
                        This really bugs me...in fact I'm annoyed the more I think about it, because I asked them about a modular configuration and the sales rep played it down. Looks like they just want to sell me on the most profitable machines!

Comment

Mike

The information you downloaded will be of the first generation Neo. Have not officially seen any info posted yet on the new series Neo but if you have a look at the Toyota ESP9100 [think I wrongly called it the 9300 earlier]at http://www.pantograms.com/9100.asp?p=m9 the new Neo will be almost identical.

Not sure why the sales rep did not show you the Neo. Certainly doesn't make him look good, does it? If I were you, I would demand an explanation from him ... you deserve it. Would also be a good time to remind him that you think the Amaya would fit your needs just fine.

Don't know where you are located but if you are anywhere near Long Beach, CA. [or have the urge to go there] you could attend the Imprinted Sportswear Show January 19th - 21st. This will be a good place to compare all the machines under one roof and possibly take advantage of some show specials. Both Melco and Tajima will have a good showing of their machines at this show.

Bob

Comment

oldkush, he mentioned he was in New Jersey. If you are not in a hurry, there is a show in Atlantic City the 1st or 2nd weekend of March. I would walk around the show and 'play' with all the machines before making a final decision. The NEO was at the show last year. As far as salespeople not showing all machines, It is hard to say why, it could be a million reasons(Sometimes it comes from corporate offices.) Melco makes an EP1 machine that they rarely advertise but they sell them. (I have never seen one at a trade show.) It is a small single needle machine for flat goods only with max. sewing field of 5" x 9".

Comment

I wasn't aware that the EP1 was still available. Haven't heard anyone from Melco talk about that machine for years.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X