Sublimation vs. Direct to Garment Printing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sublimation vs. Direct to Garment Printing

We are considering offering sublimation and/or DTG printing this upcoming year for a very specific niche market. We are weighing out options/price and just getting started with our research. Any advice? Things to consider? Any info. is appreciated!

IMO, both of these require you to know something about color. I thought I knew about color. NADA! I took painting for 5 years but it didn't translate. So if you do decide to enter either markets, but sure to get a good education. I found that I understood practically nothing. It was a disaster. Very humbling.

The in thing now is all over sublimation. Sublimation requires a white or nearly white polyester shirt. Kind of limiting. Equipment for that would run about $25m min. And remember, with both the sublimation and the DTG printer, you MUST print at least once a week, WITHOUT FAIL! Otherwise the head gets clogged.

I heard that Digital Art Solutions has a DTG that doesn't require the once a week printing. You might want to check that out. DTG does not require a heat press, but sublimation does. DTG takes a long time, and with Sub,you can print out the sheets ahead of time and press later.

Lots of things to consider.

Juli in Kona

Juli in Kona
    Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Comment

We've seen a DTG printer in action in a demo. but I knew there was more to it than how simple it appeared. I just didn't now HOW MUCH more. We have an awesome graphic designer lined up who says he needs a person to do printing for him as well. I don't think we'd have an issue running it weekly. What knowledge of color is necessary? Something for settings? In the software?

Speaking of heat presses - we need a hat press and a flat press (for applique). Anyone have recommendations? Anyone used Stahls for twill cutting?

Comment

Working...
      X