Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlas Embroidery Screen Printing

The Sad Story:

I sent a large job (2,470 shirts) to Atlas. their pricing seemed much less on a large job than my regular screen printer and this was a strictly low cost bid. It was a 4 color print on the front and one color on the back. The shirts were ordered from Sanmar, who Atlas lists as a "preferred" source. Sanmar prices shirts on 4 tiers (white, grey, light colors, dark colors) rather than the standard 3 tiers (white, grey, and colors). The following text is cut and pasted from Atlas's website:

Flashing (On dark garments): Add $0.15 per piece

The shirts were from the Sanmar PC61 "Light Colors". I assumed that there would not be a flash charge since these were light colors. My purchase order did not include this and I never received any price confirmation from them. I was charged for the flash ($370.50). I sent an e-mail explaining the issue to Mitchell Lombard, president of Atlas. This was ignored. After 3 or 4 days I called and spoke with him. He was immediately defensive (there is no conversation when this happens!) and told me that I did not know anything about screen printing and that everyone knows that any shirts that are not white are dark colors.

What are my options?

I have the option to protest this charge with the credit card company that I used to pay for the order. Before I cause Atlas grief (whether I am successful at getting or not) I would like some feedback from the list... particularly those that do screen printing or sell contracted screen printing.

The question is not whether they should have used the flash or not, it is whether the "dark garment" statement is misleading and if it is reasonable, due to this statement, to expect some better resolution to this issue than just swallowing that cost.

Thanks.

David Sklar
    Ballyhoo!
    Arlington, VA
    David Sklar<br />Ballyhoo!<br />Arlington, VA <br /><a href=\"http://www.ballyhoostore.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.ballyhoostore.com</a>

I need more information...what color were the shirts, and what color was the imprint? A flash is just a 'quick dry' step in the process but it does add 'time' to the process so it slows the production rate way down. If you had 'butt register' colors they may have had to flash to prevent blurring of the edges.
    Did you make enough profit to cover the extra 15ยข charge or did you cut the margin too close? Even an order of this size you should have made at least $1 per shirt at the minimum...and 20-30% markup on the screen and setup charges.

Comment

Based on your info:
      The flashing charge should have been spelled out in your quote. If you did not ask, shame on you. If they did not tell, shame on them. NEVER ASSUME...
      Roland is correct, need more info as to the colors involved. A light orange shirt is a light color but won't accept some colors well without a white underbase.
      Herb<br />Royal Embroidery

Comment

I agree, with the above, I have been printing for 22 years and there are many times we have to flash even on light colors depending on how the art work is engineered, but this is obviously a purposeful gray area so that it can be added at will. and the fact that he went into instant defense mode tells me that he knows that it shouldn't have been added without a quote. and always get a price commitment first!
        Maybe you can talk them out of half of the cost but I'll bet the did flash and it was stated that they charge for it, but i think he described it poorly and if he had taken time and explained the process, you wouldn't have questioned it.
        If it was me I'd pay and leave knowing more than when I came.
        There are a number of people here that are screenprinters as there major business so if you ever have questions post them and I'm sure you can get a quick response.

Now you know why they were so cheap...
        Ron
        Ron Vinyard<br />Body Cover Design<br /><br />Grants Pass, Oregon

Comment

I always add in the flash charge on anything but white shirts. If it's needed, it's covered. If it's not, I make an extra 15 cents a shirt.
          John Yaglenski
          Amayausers.com - Webmaster
          Levelbest Embroidery - Owner
          Hilton Head Island, SC
          http://www.levelbestembroidery.com

Comment

I have never charged for a 'flash' which for the non-screenprinters means a quick drying heater in the print sequence-it doesn't mean an extra color.
            I DO charge for white underbase when I print ANY colors on darks (black, forest green, navy blue) but unless someone wants a brighter color on lights I don't do an 'underbase'. When you have to PRINT an extra white for an underbase that counts as an extra color, different from a 'flash'.

Comment

My regular screen printer does not charge for the flash. There were two color shirts: stonewashed blue and orange sherbet. My question was not whether they should or should not have flashed, but given the specification on their website that they only dark colors get flashed, is this misleading? Of course they should have confirmed the order with a firm price. But since they did not, I assumed that my PO was correct.

David Sklar
              Ballyhoo!
              Arlington, VA
              David Sklar<br />Ballyhoo!<br />Arlington, VA <br /><a href=\"http://www.ballyhoostore.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.ballyhoostore.com</a>

Comment

When I've sent out for ad specialty products for clients occasionally I get the oddball 'charge' for something I didn't ask for, or a 'setup' charge that shouldn't be on the invoice, failure to honor a promo price...and I (or my wife) immediately call the company and get it straightened out...even have complained about 'misleading information' in pricing in someone's catalog and told them-'you published it, you stand by it!'...so...this is something you have to think about...eat the charge if you want to do business with them again, or contest it if you have another supplier for when you need the next job!

Comment

I visited their site. As far as I am concerned they do not explain this very well. I also was shocked at the digitizing....$16.00 per K. Not getting my business...
                  Herb<br />Royal Embroidery

Comment

Working...
                  X