promotional items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• promotional items

Does anyone know of a community site like this one, for the promotional industry? Sometimes its hard to find what the customer is looking for. There are soooo many suppliers its like looking for a needle in a hay stack.
    Joy Guidry<br /> Be Recognized<br /> Embroidery and Promotions<br /> Larose, Louisiana<br /> 985-860-2919

distributorcentral.com
    John Yaglenski
    Amayausers.com - Webmaster
    Levelbest Embroidery - Owner
    Hilton Head Island, SC
    http://www.levelbestembroidery.com

Comment

Oh, you meant a community where users ineract... Hmmm, not off the top of my head. I got confused for a second there.
      John Yaglenski
      Amayausers.com - Webmaster
      Levelbest Embroidery - Owner
      Hilton Head Island, SC
      http://www.levelbestembroidery.com

Comment

I have to ask, is it really profitable to add promtional products to an apparel shop? Most of the people I have spoke to in that segment of the business say the profit margin is maybe 20%. Also states it takes a good deal of time for each order, to find the right product for the customer, meeting with the customer, etc. As a small, 2 person, shop in home business is it worth it?

Mulling it over in Phoenix
        Cindy

Comment

I'm probably going to get tarred and feathered for saying so...but promotional items and embroidery just shouldn't be sold next to each other. One is a "throwaway" item for advertising, and embroidery is a statement to the wearer who paid good money to have something skillfully created or designed. Hopefully, embroidery isn't just a phone call to some mass production warehouse...that would be an insult to the art of stitchery.

Comment

Well to me it is easy money because I don't have to do any of the work except to make sure the customer will be getting the right item and I am submitting the artwork. I try to have the product ship directly to me when possible to make sure everything is perfect. Even though we get a paper proof I still like the security of checking it over before the customer.
            JMO
            Debbie Garifi
            www.designwizardembroidery.com

Comment

I disagree with the 'throwaway' comment...because MOST embroidery on the market today IS throwaway (or GIVEAWAY) like the hats and even keyfobs handed out by the gazillions at tradeshows and fairs.
              For the 2 person shop-it is an EXCELLENT source of income AND will keep your customers coming back. Why? because if you send your customer to someone else to get their pens and keychains, that new 'salesperson' is ALSO going to whip out THEIR EMBROIDERY SUPPLY CATALOG...guess what-we aren't the only ones selling embroider out here! And, YES, embroider IS just a phone call to a mass production warehouse...many, many of them!
              I have MANY catalogs in here with embroidered items that are so low priced you will regret trying to sell embroidery on your own...seriously-I can supply ANYONE with 6,000 stitch embroidered ballcaps for $1.99 RETAIL...you can't even BUY the blank hat for that price in small quantity. But I don't show these catalogs to my customers...but if I had a huge order for them, I'd order from the catalog-because no way do I have time to do 500 or 1000 hats at a time! I've had the mamay (first the Big Red and now an XT) for over 5 years...and quite honestly-I sell more 'ad specialty' products per month than I do embroidery...up here there isn't much market for it. Another shop nearby specializes in it with a multi head machine...and now HE is branching into screenprinting and small vinyl sign & banner making-cutting into my territory. Last week alone I ordered a small pen order ($200 retail) and 50 political signs ($300) and my NET profit is 40%. Whoever said the average profit is only 20$ is way off...that is only on a few companies and usually high quantity orders. Takes the same amount of time to sell 100 keychains as it does 10,000...so the markup on higher quantities is lower. BUT if you get a catalog from a company that ONLY gives you 20%...think twice about selling for them...because there are over 10,000 suppliers listed in UPIC alone!

Comment

Cindy,
                Almost every embroidery customer also orders promotional items. Why shouldn't I make that extra (easy) money? I already have the art. All I have to do is place the order, and I am making money on that order while I am stitching another order. And the customers like the one stop shopping. I would rather order there promotional items for them, instead of the other promo guy to take there embroidery order and contract it out. Who ever told you that there's not much money in it must not want you to become there competitor.
                Just another point of view
                Joy Guidry<br /> Be Recognized<br /> Embroidery and Promotions<br /> Larose, Louisiana<br /> 985-860-2919

Comment

Wow, great feed back. I love this form of communion and communication I have been considering getting into that side of the business so I will certainly get more research done. One last question, well maybe not the last, do I have to join ASI or PPAI in order to retail promotional products?

Thanks for the replies.
                  Cindy

Comment

been over this for the last couple years...LOL...
                    NO you don't have to join EITHER ONE OF THEM...there IS a FREE alternative...www.upic.org
                    you can fill out the info on line, or faster-just give them a call and they will walk you through it.
                    I was ASI for a couple years-close to $1000 per year...and then found UPIC and it's totally free...and you get ALL the info, catalogs, search engine website-more than you can imagine-for FREE...
                    and no, I don't get paid a dime from them.
                    Just like to help others save money.

Comment

Ok, now I understand the messages re: UPIC. I will go to the website.

Thanks
                      Cindy

Comment

Since there are so many companies providing promotional products, is there any way to know about their quality before you place an order?

Comment

Just wondering if this site is the correct forum for promotional item discussions? I prefer to keep it embroidery specific...

Comment

this topic is for Complimentary Businesses
                            I for one like to know what is out there and like the info in this form.

It is easy enough just not to read this topic I would think.

I know I have no right to say any thing here it is just my thoughts.
                            [email protected]
                            Jerome in Minnesota
                            (320)259-1151

Comment

This site is owned by Levelbest...he is right on top of deleting 'unneccessary' chatter. It has nothing to do with Melco (company) but is for the use of all of us Amaya owners (and a few out there that don't own Amaya's yet!) There have been other posts John has deleted so don't worry-he stays on top of it.
                              I know ASI has a distributor rating system, not sure if UPIC has one because I have never had to use it. My trick is to request samples up front from any company we are going to order from...and test them out ourselves. I also 'refer' ONLY those suppliers I feel are putting out a quality product if any of you contact me requesting info.
                              A quick call to UPIC would tell you if your FREE membership with them gets you access to a distributor rating list...

Comment

Working...
                              X