Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got HeatPress, Got Dazzle (100%Poly), Got No Idea What Heat Applied Product to Use!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got HeatPress, Got Dazzle (100%Poly), Got No Idea What Heat Applied Product to Use!

Hi there,

I inherited a heat press when I bought my first used embroidery machine (EP1 - I have an AMAYA XT now). Anyway, I have an order for basketball jerseys. They are the Badger reversible dazzle tanks 100% polyester.

I am at the Stahl's website and I cannot figure out which heat applied product to use for the lettering/numbering.

I did some soccer jerseys last year with the poly-twill and that was a pain. This is my first non-embroidery order and I really want to do it right. Stahl's says to use ThermoGrip for 100%Nylon Dazzle. But, I have 100% Poly Dazzle. Can I use ThermoFilm? Vinyl? SimStitch?

My worst nightmare is to do the job and have the lettering/numbers peeling off after the first wash!!

Any tips on working with Dazzle fabric and heat presses?

While I'm typing, what do you guys charge for this kind of job? There are 17 jerseys. 8" numbers on back. Team Name and small number on front...On BOTH SIDES of the reversible jersey.

Thank you for your help!
    Loyda Olson<br /><a href=\"http://www.PreciousKeepsakesStore.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.PreciousKeepsakesStore.com</a>

Call Stahls, they are often very helpful. 1-800-4-STAHLS
    David Sklar<br />Ballyhoo!<br />Arlington, VA <br /><a href=\"http://www.ballyhoostore.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.ballyhoostore.com</a>

Comment

That is a great idea and thanks for including the number. I called them and got my answer. They said that as long as it is polyester, I do not need the thermo-grip. Thermo-film or SimStitch will work. I hope they are right because I just placed my order. Thanks!
      Loyda Olson<br /><a href=\"http://www.PreciousKeepsakesStore.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.PreciousKeepsakesStore.com</a>

Comment

Stahls is correct and I can tell you that Thermo-film (especially the improved product that been shipping for about 18 months) works great on everything except nylon. I use it all the time for the past six to seven years.

Nylon requires Thermo-Grip, but I avoid using it because it is difficult to prepare and apply.
        Digital Stitchz / LaserWorkz<br />905 Texas Street<br />Fairfield, CA 94533<br />707-426-9963<br /><br />Embroidery, Screenpriinting, laser engraving and banners<br /><br />We keep you in STITCHZ, make your life colorful & your business more visible.

Comment

Just read your original message. You might consider buying the precut numbers. I believe it to be both cost and a time saver. I use pro block numbers which is similar to varsity, but does not have serifs. I cut my team names inhouse. I charge $8 for 2.5 inch names and $10 for 3 inch names. Using precut numbers I charge $2 per number for 8 inch and $1 for 4 inch numbers in the quantity that you are doing.
          Digital Stitchz / LaserWorkz<br />905 Texas Street<br />Fairfield, CA 94533<br />707-426-9963<br /><br />Embroidery, Screenpriinting, laser engraving and banners<br /><br />We keep you in STITCHZ, make your life colorful & your business more visible.

Comment

Oops, I also wanted to mention that based on your location, New Mexico, you might want to use Wellington House in Portland, Oregon. They are the western distributor for Stahl's. 1-800-234-4890. That could save you shipping cost and shipping time.

Comment

Dear Digital Stitchz,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with me. I feel much better about using the Thermo-film.

Thank you also for sharing the prices you charge. I do have one question on these. Are the prices you mentioned for 1 color? Do you just double it for 2 colors?

Thank you very much!

-Loyda

Comment

Because you can only apply one color at a time (due to the adhesive carrysheet) yes, you have to charge for every color!
                I have a 'basic' price for everything from iron on lettering to making banners and signs-all start with a 'base price' that includes one color, and then add-on for extra colors by the square foot (or inch).
                So a 'banner' in vinyl starts at $50 minimum, $10 per sq. ft. 2 color, $15 per sq.ft, 3 color $18, etc. Since I work in vector lineart all day long for past 15 years-once I setup for 1 color-the work is already done for multi colors-I just grab the outlines and click the new color and change the rolls in the cutter. For iron ons-a one color teeshirt, small front pocket area name, large number/last name on the back (team sport type of order) I get $15.00 Extra colors depend on how much material is used-so a 10" number on the back, that needs a 2nd color outline all around the number-uses the same amount of heat seal vinyl-90% of it wasted. So that would be another $10 just for the back number. If they wanted one color for name, different color for number-there is no waste compared to all one color-so it is $10 for the back, plus I would charge another $3-4.00 for the extra time/work-that's all.
                Take your roll of material (15" x 10' for example) and you can only use 13" of that-so you are paying for 13% waste material.
                Divide the price you paid including shipping, divide by the actual usable square inches, and you now have your cost. Triple this at least...and that will give you what you would charge per square inch for the total 'box' around the name/number in vinyl you use.
                Let's say $50 for a 10' roll-works out to 3¢ an inch for cost. Times 3= 9¢ a square inch or $12.96 PER SQUARE FOOT of material. An 8" number with a 3" name over it will fit in a square foot. Make sense now? I know heat seal vinyl isn't $50 per roll but that was easier to do the math.
                Roland

Comment

Hi Roland,

Thank you for taking the time to spell it out for me. I appreciate your time. It makes perfect sense.

Thank you!

-Loyda

Comment

One more thing, when you cut names for the back of jerseys... Adult garment names should be no wider than 13.5 inches and youth garment names no wider than 12.5 inches (If a long name goes beyond that length hold the the height at the size created and shorten the lenght to the maximum size) if that isnt too cleaar email me direct at [email protected].

Comment

I know this is an old topic, but I find myself with a similar order for 100% poly basketball jerseys. I do not have a cutter, so I am planning on ordering precut names and numbers. I have ordered from Transfer express and had good luck, however I have never tried it on poly fabric. The recommended temp to apply thier product is 340. Is this too hot for the fabric?

Thanks,
                      Jean

Comment

I would highly suggest calling Wellington House. The shipping may be farther, but they have just what you need. I have used them for the basketball jersey that I have done. If you follow the instructions you shouldn't have any problems. Their # is 800-234-4890. Just tell them what you are doing and they will tell you what will work the best.
                        Tara Childs<br />Impressing Promotions, LLC<br />2575 Campus Dr., Suite 341<br />Klamath Falls, OR 97601

Comment

Jean,

I do not believe 340 degrees for 8 to 10 seconds is too hot for the poly (dazzle) fabric. You can move the heatpress down in temp to 320 ort 330 and add some pressure and/or time. Like 320 degrees for 12 to 14 seconds. But you should not have any problems. If you can, always test/emperiment first because some poly fabrics can not stand too much pressure. I hope this helps.

Lee @ Digital Stitchz

Comment

Working...
                          X