Transfer v. Screen Print

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer v. Screen Print

I use a contract screen printer who's price is always better than buying custom transfers regardless of the number of items or colors. The only way the transfer makes any sense is when I can gang several onto one sheet when they are small. Is my screen printer too cheap? (Please don;t tell him!) It seems to me my uneducated brain that transfers should cost less. Can anyone explain this? Is this your experience? Thanks.
    David Sklar<br />Ballyhoo!<br />Arlington, VA <br /><a href=\"http://www.ballyhoostore.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.ballyhoostore.com</a>

David,

If this is the case, don't tell my screen printer either! I purchased a heat press earlier this year, but have not found much work for it yet. I have asked my screen printer about printing transfers for orders where the customers do not know sizes in advance, and he has not been too anxious to take on the business. If you really consider it, the set-up costs (screens, etc.) are basically similar in each case. I would think it would come down to whether it requires additional resources, or is more difficult, to print transfers vs. shirts.
    Robert Brooks<br />Buy The Stitch<br />Custom Embroidery & Graphics

Comment

Are you being charged setup for each screen?
      Transfers are printed in reverse, tricky process by hand (I've done it) and the inks are usually wet-on-wet, another tricky process.
      Much easier and faster to print direct to garment on screening.
      Your transfers may cost more because they are building the setup charge into the price each-your screenprinter (99% of the time) charges it separately.
      There ARE places to get transfers done that use a press (printer) to do them, or automatic presses-which keep the price way down.

Comment

The screen printer has to check in the merchandise that I send; unfold; slip it over the platen and make sure it is aligned properly; flash if multiple colors; put it through the dryer; QA; fold; box; ship. As I understand transfers, they put a piece of transfer paper on the platen (alignment is not real critical); print and flash. There is no dry (that is what the heat press does). Flipping through a stack of paper is faster QA than flipping through a bunch of t-shirts. Stack them up and slip them in an envelope or box. It seems to be an easier and faster process. There are printers that only do transfers and I do not understand why they are more expensive.
        David Sklar<br />Ballyhoo!<br />Arlington, VA <br /><a href=\"http://www.ballyhoostore.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.ballyhoostore.com</a>

Comment

No, I don't pay a separate set up charge. It is built in to the per item charge. Would you share the names of the guys you know who use the presses? Is the quality comparable to the screen printed transfers?

Comment

There's several companies out there for transfers but press work is for quantity orders-not small runs.
            ONE color transfers are fast to do, but multi color is more difficult on transfer paper than shirts are. When I do transfers, most of the time they still have to go through the tunnel dryer-flash dry doesn't cure them all the way through-only the skin coat. Transfers are not fully cured-but the ink under the skin is not wet either.
            What kind of quantity do you need?

Comment

Well, you definitely don't understand transfers or have been seriously mislead. The process for Screenprinting is pretty close. but transfers are printed on paper that is true but as far as alignment that is far more critical than a shirt. simply because you print each color, then send it through the dryer at only around 180 to 230 degrees depending on the ink. if you cure the ink which is 320Degrees it while NOT adhere when you heat press since it will be solid vinyl, also then when the next color goes on it's the same setup as printing but the paper needs to align perfectly where it was before, but when it goes throught the dryer in the previous cycle it usually will shrink, if it does
              nothing will line up and your shot. Each color requires a print and then a trip through the dryer and each pass through the dryer could end up with shrinkage. as far as a regular press which we use for T-shirts it doesn't work well for paper since adhesive to hold the paper also messes with the speed in which you are trying to print, you really need a vacuum hold down to hold the paper without adhesive like we would on shirts. true paper is cheap compared to shirts and there are only pennies worth of ink on a piece of paper but as Roland stated, printing in a mirror image printing in reverse order (color you see on top of design needs to print first on a transfer instead of last.) and the different printing platens, dryer temperatures, not to mention that printing on paper is a whole different ballgame than printing on absorbent material. (know the difference between sewing on lace hankies or leather jackets? It's all just embroidery, right?) and know you start to see why it's just a pain for us printers, not to mention that we do the same amount of physical work ie; the act of printing with ink and squeegee, and we are expected to give it away for much less than when we do the same thing on shirts. There are companies that specialize in this and kick butt at it, but for Joe printer that has attempted it, it usually means more work for less profit and we cringe when it comes up. I do understand all the benefits such as gang printing small logos on large sheets and having just as many logos as you need to fulfill any size order and fast turn re-orders or fill in orders, and you can even throw away misprints or extras without feeling you gave away the farm.

If anyone is interested I can do some research and provide some contact info and websites for some very reputable transfer companies. but know ahead of time that it takes all the same setup, screens, equipment, and work as regular screen printing.

Just my 2 cents, not meant to offend anyone.

Ron
              Body Cover
              Ron Vinyard<br />Body Cover Design<br /><br />Grants Pass, Oregon

Comment

Thanks, but there is nothing on tap right now. I finished a job last week with full color left chest and one color full back. 100 t-shirts. I had an e-mail flyer with pricing for transfers, but they would not do it at the price advertised, so I ended up screen printing the front and using inkjet transfers for the front. It was not a keepsake project so the inkjet was OK as long as they don't wash it too many times.

Comment

Thanks for the details, Ron. I did not know that process. So, just to get it straight in my mind (and anyone else who uses a heat press), the reasons to use transfers are:

1. if you can gang print it may be cheaper (and less expensive too!)

2. the customer has a "fluid" team roster and will probably need a few more later

3. you buy preprinted transfers out of a catalog (t-shirt shop).

However, under "normal" circumstances it is cheaper to do direct screen printing.

Can you (anyone) add to the list?

Thanks.

Comment

I use transfers for customers who are ordering less than 24 items on a reoccuring basis. I've been very pleased with Ace Transfer if you need
                    a source in the future.
                    Janel Pinneke<br />Silver Star Embroidery

Comment

Janel said it best, transfers are best for recurring customers especially ones that use simple one and two color prints. Say you have a guy that wants his left chest logo on T's. It's one color but he only orders 12 or so at a time. If you knew he would be coming to you for all his orders and the design never changes you could order transfers and be able to turn out what ever he ordered when YOU wanted and not when the printer dictates,and instead of paying the 12 piece price you could buy a few hundred. you pay for the whole order which means all your money is out in advance but as you take his orders they are ready to go and you don't have to pay for them. But if it's a small logo, maybe you could fit 6, 8 or 12 on one sheet. then you make even more money. longevity and detail isn't Usually as good as a direct print, but you have more control of future orders.

If I had more time I could go into more detail but you get the picture.

Ron
                      Ron Vinyard<br />Body Cover Design<br /><br />Grants Pass, Oregon

Comment

Working...
                      X