How do I find a partner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I find a partner?

Here's the deal - I have a small business I have been running out of my home for a couple years. I have an XT, Pro package digitizing software, heat press equipment, etc.

Your are probably asking - what's the problem? Problem is I can't go out and knock on doors to get new business - I have finally accepted that I either find a partner that can do the sales or I close up and sell the equipment.

I think there has to be a person out there that would love to get into business but doesn't have the money to buy the equipment etc. I have close to $40,000 into this business and really enjoy it but I have since gone back to work full time and just work some evenings and weekends.

Any advice would be appreicated.

With just one head I can't see you ever making enough to make a profit and pay a salesperson with one machine. The market has gotten flooded with single head machines so its hard for anyone to make a go of it with just one.
    In this day and time you get big big or you die.
    Or you just keep the one, keep working and make a little extra money on the side.

Just my view.

I have gone from one head to 14 heads and now
    one head is about all I need.

Comment

Opps, did my post come across as looking for just a sales person? Sorry, that's not the case. I am looking for someone who may want to add this aspect to an existing business or has wanted to start their own small business but doesn't have the capital to start up.

Comment

So you want to rent, lease or sell?
        I would run a small ad in the local paper, contact people whom you have done work for or find a family member that may be interested.

Comment

Have you thought about partnering with a local Screen printer?
          Gabi<br />Gabi Kat Embroidery Emporium<br />Tucson, AZ

Comment

I thught it was just me, or my area that business has gotten tough in. I am getting calls for prospective new clients but when they hear the prices they say thanks and don't call back. Wether it is DTG printing, screen printing or embroidery seems every one is looking to buy it cheap, cheap, cheap.

On the bright side, at least I am getting the calls! Lol

Cindy in Phoenix

Comment

What you need to do is get known for your service and quality. Also, your ability to handle jobs where the minimum qty is 1. Most shops turn away business like that. That is how we exist in this economy; the downside is you work a lot harder do to multiple setup and preparation. But people will pay the price if all they want is small quantities; you just got to get known as the best person to do it. And that comes from existing satisfied customer referrals (give them your business cards... 10 to 12... and ask them to help you out when they can.)

Anyway it works for us. You got to find the jobs no one else likes and become the best at it then price is not the issue.
              Digital Stitchz / LaserWorkz<br />905 Texas Street<br />Fairfield, CA 94533<br />707-426-9963<br /><br />Embroidery, Screenpriinting, laser engraving and banners<br /><br />We keep you in STITCHZ, make your life colorful & your business more visible.

Comment

IF I had to rely on just the Amaya, we'd be bankrupt long ago...it has never really made a profit! But it brings in jobs and helps me 'hang on to' customers that might have gone somewhere else. The 'large' orders we farm out to Pat for her 15 machines to do-I just do the setup and test. She can turn around a couple hundred hats for example in a day...we can do 5 or 6 an hour. But we also offer full screen printing, heat sealing, banners, table covers, engraving, trophies, ad specialties...so there is very little that a customer asks about we can't do. Yet there are STILL customers that are simply looking for cheap prices with no regard for quality. We happily let the competition take them-and every other year or so we have a new competition in town-that bought out or took over the last one because they were losing money.
                Network with your local chamber of commerce-donate a batch of hats for the chamber staff, aprons for the Home & Trade Show if they do one, tote bags to give out...we give them plastic bowls full of magnets, fridge clips, window scrapers, always something to give away for us and they send us business. Not a heck of a lot, small town, high unemployment and business's are hurting-but it helps! We also use their mailing list and enclose a 'flyer' in at least every other month's chamber newsletter-keeps us in mind. I don't do cold calls, unless someone has to have me go see them I don't leave the shop-but we are doing enough to survive. AND doing 'wholesale' work for other shops (not local really, but across the country!) keeps my equipment running most of the time.

Comment

Thanks for all the helpful feedback - It helps with all the thinking I am doing

Comment

Working...
                  X