Trying to get into SCHOOL UNIFORMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to get into SCHOOL UNIFORMS

I am trying to get some local uniform business from some schools in my area. I do not have a store front. I work out of my home with my three AMAYAs. I think I have the equipment to handle uniform orders. I just don't know how to offer my services to the schools. I have been told that most schools require that you have a store where the students can go get an item any time. There's got to be another way, like filling orders once a month. For the first round of purchases, I could bring the uniforms to the school and set up in a gym or cafeteria. Kind of a 'bring the store to you' deal.

Should I stop pursuing this or can it actually work? Any and all advice is welcome!
    Lisa Griswold<br />Impressions Embroidered Apparel<br />Canton, GA<br />770.369.2060

Some schools will have their own 'school store', either handled by a 'business class' or teacher from the business end of the school. I've had the school here set up a 'school store' in a spare office or even just a wall display, and each year one class gets to 'manage' the sales as a fund raiser for that year. They have samples of everything, and take orders for size, etc. to be filled by the vendor as needed. (unfortunately, since the teacher I worked with retired, I no longer have that business, a competitor with a kid in school nailed it out from under me)
    If they don't have anything set up, suggest running it in a wall size glass cabinet, and as a fundraiser for either a class or 'friends of football' or something.

Comment

As this has not been a good sort of business for us (our local school is tuff to say the least) I say Good Luck! We have tried everything close to giving stuff away and jsut can't get past the ppl in charge who instead of spening money in their community where we truely want to support the school (I have 4 kids in this system!) would much rather go out of town or worse yet, online and out of State!! So frustrating!! We just keep trying and hopefully oneday someone will see the light!

Good Luck!
      Laurie

Comment

When we first got our Amaya our older son was graduating-and the 'parent's group wanted to host an 'all night no booze' party-refused to give us a chance to bid on their teeshirts and stuff-political and personal differences...so, we made up individual hooded sweatshirts for EVERY SINGLE KID IN THE CLASS before they placed their order for the party with the other guys...and GAVE Them to the students one by one at a class meeting. What a hit that was-and the students told the parents group not to bother with shirts-they wanted our stuff instead! That got us orders for the next couple years from parents 'outside' that clique that wanted custom goods-and our son's class wore them on the float for the graduation parade-AND we had a large picture and article in the newspaper-got the Superintendant of Schools involved because we valued the 'donation' at over $3,000. Just can't buy publicity like that. But parents and kids move on...we don't know anyone with a kid in the school now but we're working on it. Unless you 'sew up' (haha) the whole business for the school, the teams, the clubs-it really isn't worth getting hammered for nickel and dime profits.

Comment

Lisa,
          We do the local 8th graders fund-raiser each year. We create a "new" version of the school's logo and offer it on tees, sweats, etc. We first approached the school's secretary, who is in charge of the event, with our ideas. She loved the idea of working with some one local, rather than out of town We give her a "gift" each year for her efforts(forms, collecting money, etc.). This helps keep us the business. We have been doing this for 5 years now

Comment

We are currently bidding on a school system where we are. Don't know yet if we'll get the business, but it will be well worth it if we do. There are 6-7 schools with 3 of them having over 1,000 students. We had to figure a percentage to go directly to the school also, so they make a little money at it also. For this particular bid, we will have an inexpensive warehouse/office where we will keep stock and the locals can come try on. We will also have to go to each school for a try-on/order day before school starts. The parents will be able to either purchase online from us or come to the office. Our schools don't require a store front, so that's a plus. My kids go to one of the schools, but we are not dealing with our school directly. We have to go through the corporate office who has no idea our kids are in the school system.
            I don't know if we'll get the contract, but we're hoping! If not, we'll refine our bid and try again next year.
            Two Bit Embroidery

Comment

Dear Two Bit,
              I have taught in an Arizona public schools for 37 years and do a lot of business with then now that I have retired from teaching. A few suggestions. Most districts have a district office with a purchasing department. Go there and sign up as a vendor. They want to make sure you are a legimate business with a license. Each district has athelic directors either one for the district or one at each high school. Go and visit with them and show them some product. Many teams have parent booster clubs that aren't funded by the school so the president of those groups can be contacted. BIGGIE-contact school groups at least two or three months ahead of time. Coaches do their selections the season before. Many schools with have a bid system in place where you apply to bid. If you don't have the bid then you have to talk to school personnel about them buying the shirts and you doing the embroidery. Teachers also have staff shirts that you can approach the office about in May for the following year. Secretaries many times make this decision. We also give a free item to the person who does the ordering after the order is placed. I don't tell them ahead of time so it doesn't look like a bribe. Just some ideas.
              Margaret
              Wishes In Stitches Embroidery<br />4502 W. Buffalo Street<br />Chandler, Arizona 85226<br />480-216-3163

Comment

I too am trying to get into our local school and because it is a very small school system and they have had the same person in place to do all their fundraisers it has been a challenge. I am starting to see more and more come my way however which is great. The thing I do is I design stuff that is different and have my kids wear it and also do craft shows held at the school and get alot of sales that way. If I sell anything that has the school logo on it I will give a donation to the sports boosters.

Good Luck!
                Tina K.<br />Embroidery Gals<br /> <a href=\"http://www.embroiderygals.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.embroiderygals.com</a> <br /> <a href=\"http://www.bridalgiftspersonalized.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.bridalgiftspersonalized.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.facebook.com/cruisetoembroiderysuccess\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.facebook.com/cruisetoembroiderysuccess</a>

Comment

Working...
                X