How Do They Do It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do They Do It?

Someone just turned down a quote that I sent them indicating that these guys are much cheaper... and they are! Does any one know anything about them?

http://www.queensboro.com

David Sklar
    Ballyhoo!
    Arlington VA
    David Sklar<br />Ballyhoo!<br />Arlington, VA <br /><a href=\"http://www.ballyhoostore.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.ballyhoostore.com</a>

Yup - they are cheaper. By a lot. I think their quality will show that too. I once lost a job because somebody showed me a price from Queensboro. I stuck to my guns and lost the job but I don't lose many on price. Maybe they have a true sweatshop, but who knows. I still think most customers like to know who they are dealing with, especially if there is a return on an item or a problem.

My advice is to let it go and tell the customer to let you know if they were satisfied or not.

Tom Dauria
    Tom Dauria<br />Mr. Sew & Sew

Comment

I browsed the site quickly...and all the 'hidden' costs are really hidden!
      Although they say 'free embroidery', find the hidden fees and it is only up to 10,000 stitches AND there is a logo fee...and charges from $3.50 or more for additional stiching, etc.
      Add in freight, logo charge, and I could not find a 'minimum' or quantity price break chart anywhere...and I'll bet they are not that cheap.
      Maybe if we itemized and made 'hidden fees' it would look like we are cheaper!
      Also, the 'production time' changes in different places...from 10-15 days to 15-20 days in another.
      Quality of shirts-I was comparing denim shirts-they have a 4.5 oz denim work shirt! I have handkerchiefs heavier than that....

Comment

I agree with signman and also some of the items are not all that cheap. Some people sell things for close to cost to catch your eye and then their other items that 75% of the people also buy are normal priced. The sixe of thier shop makes a difference also. I am not a huge shop but one of the larger ones in my area and I can compete with the prices on this site or at least some of them. I also have 12 heads running in my home so my overhead is low.
        Aaron Sargent<br />Pegboard<br />541-727-1440

Comment

To help you feel better-when you don't get a sale you bid or quoted on-don't consider it a 'lost' sale...because you can't lose something you didn't have! Let's you sleep better at night. I get customers talking about 'cheaper quotes' from XYZ shops in the area-a couple garage door printers with no overhead, no hired help, no insurance or worker's comp to pay...and every time I ask to compare 'cheap price' I find it has been itemized. Sure, the 'shirt' price is $3.99 or $2.59 or something, but then there is a $30-50 'screen charge', and maybe an 'ink charge' (yes, I've seen it!) and then 'freight' charge-even for local pickups-they charge incoming freight! THEN they add on the 'print charge'-it all adds up. Throw in a cheap lightweight Anvil shirt...and maybe the customer saved 25ยข over my price. But next time they want shirts-they come to me-because the 'cheap' shirts didn't even last one year of use. Or they shrunk so bad adults couldn't wear them...so stress QUALITY and satisfaction-don't stress price...and you will have all the business you want!

Comment

I did some more browsing, and no where did I find a claim that they 'make' their own clothing...would be a rare claim for one company to actually manufacture in one location everything from hats to polos to tees to suede jackets...and nothing at all is labeled (that I could find anywhere) as MADE IN THE USA...if you set up a 'website' using Sanmar web template, you get the chance to have the same 'we create custom logo'd apparel' blah blah blah...doesn't mean you actually made it!
            I would think if they are the actual producer for their clothing, hats, etc. they'd promote that in big print all over the place.
            So don't let their hype fool you!

Comment

I would guess not all (if any) of their manufacturing is done in the US. While they say they are in Wilmington, I could find no reference to "made in USA"(not that it isn't there, I just couldn't find it). There is a fair amount of textile mfg in Central America...so freight costs would not be as bad as importing from Asia. If they find a factory (such as Hanes or Jerzees) with excess capacity, they might subcontract out to a company like this, just to keep their equipment running and people working)(shoot, those companies might use a 3rd party mfg, as well). All the brands they indicate they are using are mfg offshore, so it wouldn't be suprising.
              Theresa

Comment

Start clicking the advertising links 1000 times they use on google and yahoo and I bet they raise the price!

Comment

Working...
                X