Resizing a design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resizing a design

I'm new, only had machine for a few weeks, getting to know the software pretty good now. But I have a question. Can anyone tell me what I should charge to resize a design for another shop? This other shop has designs that are large and ask me to resize them to approx 45% smaller and send them back in Tajima format. This was a pretty simple things to do. Now that he knows I can do it, he wants a price for doing so on a regular basis. I don't know what a fair price would be. Appreciate advice.
    Thank you all.
    Sue Schroeder

Sue

In most cases, reducing a design by 45% will effect the quality of that design and often it is best to re-digitize the design rather than simply reducing it.

I don't know the design[s] you will be working on but to change the size by 45% may also require things like detail reduction / removal, perhaps changing column stitches to outlines, etc.

Bob

Comment

Sometimes...Designshop does it's automatic resizing and the design sews correctly. But don't count on it.You have to plan on your 'shop rate' for any work you do...and believe it or not-your shop rate should be between $30 and $50 PER HOUR. If another shop wants you to redigitize a design (and no matter how simple you think it is-that is what you are doing) then it means they can't afford or don't want to afford what their normal digitizer charges!
      So why should you give away YOUR shop time to the competitor?
      Yes, you will have to sewout a proof-and over and over until it comes out right. That's what digitizers do!
      Changing a design that much does mean removing details, doublechecking line width, density, lettering-letters 1/2" with double underlayment are now 1/4", and may not need ANY underlayment-or thread breaks start in. Short stitch function, fill patterns may now become satin stitching-outlines may now end up 2 stitches wide...all things to consider! So a $10 charge isn't even going to cover your first sewout! A full jacket back design could run 50,000 stitches and could have cost them $150 the first time-you are now doing a new design makeover-and should expect to get $50- $75...just like sending it to a digitizing shop!

Comment

Well, I look at it from a different point of view. I would say that if he only wants it sized and reformatted and doesn't ask you to edit or check it by sewing a sample, then I would do it for $5 or $10 since it is only a 3 or 4 click procerss and can be done and re-mailed in under 5 minutes. But, if you he wants you to edit and make sure that it sews well and lines up since we all know that everything said previously is true. then I would negotiate on each design after I looked at it and decide how much work it would be, it could be that the guy in need doeasn't have the software to resize or probably work in another format than Tajima. He may not be worried about quality, only getting the jopb out and he doesn't have the resources. Bottom line is if it doesn't sew well or look as good as it could then the other guys reputation is the one that takes the hit and Sue doens't lose out unless the guy stops sending work for conversion, so if he understands the risks I would let him take them.
        Remember just MY opinion.

Ron
        Body Cover
        Ron Vinyard<br />Body Cover Design<br /><br />Grants Pass, Oregon

Comment

Working...
        X