I need 100 hats NOW!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need 100 hats NOW!!

Who has the source for REALLY inexpensive (cheap) hats? My customer needs 100 and has been given a budget of $500.00 because that is what they were quoted by someone in Florida.
    I remember a discussion at one time about this subject, but cannot remember where the supplier is.
    One more thing...I need them in my hands by no later than the 24th of this month....it just keeps getting better! LOL
    LuAnn @ Image Embroidery<br />Because Your \"Image\" Matters

There's 'cheap' and then there's 'cheap garbage'....customer claims to be quoted $5 a hat...why didn't he buy them? Probably because they're imported (3-6 weeks), setup or digitizing charge, freight charge, etc. etc. And how many stitches?
    And what type of hat? I've got catalogs here from suppliers that will do hats for under $2.00, but 5,000 stitches, couple weeks to ship in, and you have a deadline.
    I've got probably 80 dozen or more foam front trucker hats I'd sell cheap...but you can't embroider on them-only decal. Sanmar has 'inexpensive' canvas hats, but if you haven't got time to do them-you aren't going to make a heck of a lot of profit to meet $5 and freight, setup, etc.
    Dick up in Canaan can turn around 100 hats in about 2 hours-he's done it for me...but you are going to pay $1.35 or more for the embroidery, plus the cost of the hat and shipping. Doesn't leave much room but you could squeeze some profit out of it.

Comment

100 caps with embroidery for $500 ???

I would suggest that you:

1) don't waste your time looking too hard for the caps because there simply won't be enough profit in that job to make it worth while.

2) don't let a customer dictate the prices. Know what you need to charge to make your business profitable and stick with those prices.

3) learn to "fire" customers. Not all customers are good for your business [especially the price shoppers].

If a job does not offer a reasonable profit, then let the machine sit idol and use your time doing other things.

Just my opinion.

Bob

Comment

I agree with Signman. Unless you are going to screen print them. Not worth it to make a dollar or two a hat. You can make that when you farm it out and use your time to make much better money. Debbie
        Debbie Rinehart<br />Deb\'z-N-Stitches

Comment

My plan is to farm it out. There is NO WAY I am going to embroider 100 for $500.00! My customer came to me because he is regular customer. His boss is the one that found the hats for $5.00 embroidered.
          I told him that I would not personally be doing the work...just passing it through my door. He is fine with that, because he is trying to get his boss to bring all of the embroidery work here.
          So...has anyone ever farmed out a hot order and been happy with product?
          I guess I should have included that info in my original question.
          Thanks...
          LuAnn @ Image Embroidery<br />Because Your \"Image\" Matters

Comment

LiAnn,

I would try otto caps or KC Caps. I have seen both of thier work but I have never done any large orcers with either of them. I prefer to do all my own hats. THose are 2 I can think of that would be in the price range and I think they both have overseas and domestic embroidery although not sure you can meet the price going domestic in the time frame you are taling.

www.ottocap.com
            www.kccaps.com
            Aaron Sargent<br />Pegboard<br />541-727-1440

Comment

I don't embroider any order over 36 pieces-I send it right up to Dick and Pat at their place.
              I think there are a couple others on the board here that also will do 'contract' orders.
              I like Dick because I can drive up there if I need to, and he is setup with Sanmar like me-so I can have my blanks dropshipped right to him-he gets them a day before I would-and I still get free freight.
              If you do farm it out-make sure the customer knows about freight, setup, etc.! so you don't get screwed at the end!

Comment

They way I see it, the boss is shopping for bargains and even if you farm the job out:

- at 100 caps for $500 there is very little [if any] money to be made
                - you have no control over the quality of caps or stitching which will reflect on your business negatively if either is substandard
                - you are allowing the customer to dictate the $5.00 per cap price and if you do that, even if he does come back for more work he likely will be demanding more "el cheepo" prices

If I were you, I would let them know nicely that in your business you emphasize quality and service. If he can get the caps done for $5.00 somewhere else and if that is what he wishes to do, you will not be trying to price match.

Good luck

Bob

Comment

We offer contract work out of our shop in southwest Michigan. If needed, we can send out our price list on an individual basis. Please contact us direction for information.
                  Thanks!
                  Janet<br />Fabrications by design, Inc.<br />269-273-8495<br />[email protected]

Comment

I would ask them what brand caps they are being quoted for $5/per cap embroidered or a copy of the quote faxed to you. Probably some brand made in China we never heard of and/or crappy quality to go with it. How many stitches are in the design. If it is under 5000 stitches, I would probably do it myself if I was slow and needed the business. 100 caps would take a day or so under 5000 stitches. If I was to farm it out, I would make sure I clear at least $100 after ALL costs for my time. Don't forget shipping all directions.

Comment

If you need a cheap hat in the future and you have some wiggle room as to style color etc, call Garnie at Cobracap and see what they have in their closeout section. They regulary have $10 dozen hats. I have bought over a thousand in the last year or so and the customers loved them. But you will always have the customer who says it too expensive no matter how much you charge. I sold 600 to one customer whose boss skewered her for spending $4.50 for a 5K embroidered design on a washed unconstructed hat with brass buckle. That is normally a $2.75 hat wholesale from most suppliers. (I think I paid $9 a dozen for those hats.)

http://www.cobracap.com/index.htm.

Jack
                      Jack Fuller

Comment

Working...
                      X