Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple Digitising Software

Afternoon all

I've just sold my old Brother machine with all the PE Design software. The problem I have is that I used it specifically to create files where people wanted names in Comic Sans and there is no equivalent on DS Lite.

So, is there a way to add a font to DS Lite? Failing that, can anyone recommend a cheap digitising programme that I can use. 99% of what I do is names on towels and it is literally just Comic Sans that I'm missing!

Cheers
    Andy

Can you not download and install the font on your computer? All the extra fonts I have downloaded are installed on my computer in a separate folder then, when I get a new laptop etc I copy the folder and install the fonts on the new one and then all the packages I use read the new fonts - does DS not do that?

Comment

Hi Mandy

I don't think the light version works like that. It seems to have a pre-set choice of fonts.

Comment

Yeah, I meant to post again - I asked the tech when he was here on install day and Lite doesn't let you install new fonts, just the full version - sorry!

Comment

When I buy a program, I get the highest version possible, because I know that the first thing I'll want to do will be something that is not included in a lower version. For instance, in DS, I want to choose any TTF and auto digitize it. Can't do that with the light version. With any program I buy, it is always the the same.

Addressing "counter intuitive": Any program you buy, having no experience with any similar program, you just learn it. However, if you do have some similar experience, then it will probably be harder to learn because you are going to want to do that same things in the old way and that SEEMS counter intuitive because it goes against the way you have been doing some similar thing. The learning curve with these complicated programs (that give you really good designs) is always a long process. AND there is a LOT more to digitizing a good design than just learning the program.

The good thing with DS Pro Plus is that you are working in the NATIVE format. Going back and fixing design is simple. With any other program, it will not be working in ofm. You will have to save to its native format then save to exp. When you want to tweak it, you go back to the original file, do you tweaking, save it, then convert to exp.

BUT DS Pro Plus is expensive. Not nearly as expensive as Wilcom or Pulse, but still hefty. Whatever program you decide on, it must be able to save to an exp file. And each program has different tools. The more tools, the more expensive it is, the more difficult to learn, but better in the long run. Since you are just starting out, inexpensive is probably a good choice. Nothing like a little experience under your belt to make you appreciate a good, full bodied program.
          Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Comment

99% of what I do is names on towels and it is literally just Comic Sans that I'm missing!

In your case, I would sew out one name in every font available to you without investing in a new program and just have your customer choose which font she likes. Simply give them a choice of what you have. That makes it very simple!
            Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Comment

Working...
            X