recovering embroidery files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recovering embroidery files

I need help!! My hard drive fried...the computer techs ran a data recovery program and stored what they got on an external drive. All files that were recovered got saved into folders, for example all jpg files in one folder all html in one folder etc. Does anyone know what the computer might recognize an embroidery file as? I talked to Rod briefly and tried the search but didn't come up with anything other than the system seemed to get overloaded and run and run without displaying any results. Note to self: never save customers designs on the hard drive!! Thanks so much for any help!
    [email protected]<br />Samme Engelson

Also - always back up both locally and offsite.

Unfortunately without seeing the data or drives, it's going to be very difficult to provide guidance.
    John Yaglenski
    Amayausers.com - Webmaster
    Levelbest Embroidery - Owner
    Hilton Head Island, SC
    http://www.levelbestembroidery.com

Comment

The topic of backing up hard drives has been mentioned many times here. I use a Seagate FreeAgent GO drive (around $75 at newegg) to back up my hard drive once a week as well as manually back it up on DVD's and keep those at my parents house in case the house blows over from a hurricane. You could also keep the DVD's in your car (not suggested in 90 degree heat) or use an online backup service or a fireproof safe.
      I am a full-time computer tech and part-time embroiderer. I have cables that connect directly to the hard drive and USB to a computer that MAY or MAY NOT be able to see the files missing depending if the hard drive is still readable (50/50 chance) Sounds like in your case it may not still be readable but I have seen a lot of other "computer techs" that have no idea what they are doing as well as some very talented ones. I dont trust anything the tech before me has done. There is a program called r-studio which is used for data recovery. (I have used it for data forensics.) As I said before...it may or may not work. ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR WORK! Single point of failure is never a good thing.

Comment

For me, it's windows home server for network backup of all my computers and CrashPlan - a free program that allows you to set up encrypted backup to another computer over the internet. Find a backup buddy, send them a $100 drive like steve mentions above - and back up your valuable data to it across the net - and allow your friend to do the same on your network.

John Yaglenski
        Hilton Head Island, SC

Comment

Go for the easiest and cheapest...just have a second hard drive installed in your 'tower', and store your customer files on that as you create them. If anything goes wrong with your COMPUTER (motherboard, program, etc.) this hard drive can be taken out in seconds and installed in a new computer-it isn't going to be affected by a problem with your computer since it is a separate unit.
          Been there, done that...and when I got the XT and had to upgrade to newer computer, the computer guy just downloaded the files to a new second hard drive (old enough original it wouldn't work in a new tower) and I didn't lose anything.
          Although there is ONE file I have lost in all these years...no where to be found. All I can think of it got saved under the wrong name and we can't find it using any search!

Comment

Data backup is only half done unless it's done offsite as well as onsite...
            John Yaglenski
            Hilton Head Island, SC

Comment

and what happens if your friendly offsite databackup also has a computer crash? The problem can go on and on and on and on...
              oh, how I wish this could all be saved on a macintosh! Oh wait...yes it can! LOL...already have some saved on there that I had to send out and my amaya PC is not connected to internet so I just copy files via thumbdrive to the mac.
              Amaya data files take so little room...I can just slide them to the mac...or every once inawhile copy the whole customer file to a DVD...those are cheap from Staples.

Comment

To signman: Could your missing file have been "hidden"? Would search find a hidden file?

Barb in Broomfield, CO
                Barbara Bunker<br />BMB Custom Embroidery<br />Broomfield, Colorado

Comment

The rule is save in two places - redundancy is important and if fire, water damage, tornado, hurricane, coke spilling on the computer etc happens - you'll have a copy elsewhere.
                  John Yaglenski
                  Hilton Head Island, SC

Comment

just picking on you...too early in the morning to be serious...LOL
                    guess there must be a problem with drinking and digitizing...
                    waterproof keyboard would solve that...LOL
                    or drink from a sippy cup...
                    *sigh*
                    guess I should start getting some work done...

Comment

Havn't been to dunkin yet - that's when I get my humour on
                      John Yaglenski
                      Hilton Head Island, SC

Comment

Some of the new laptops have a tray under the keyboard (you cant see it) so if you spill something on it, the motherboard isn't fried. My guess is in the next couple years, all laptops will be built that way.

Comment

Ok..so I understand by the school of hard knocks that I should always back up somewhere else...got it! Does anyone have tips or thoughts on how to find the files now that the computer tech took everything he could salvage and saved it to an external drive? Like what the computer might have recognized my embroidery files to be, what format???? Thank you all for the tips you've given so far and any that you might have for me in the future!!
                          [email protected]<br />Samme Engelson

Comment

See my post dated posted June 01, 2010 11:09 PM. As I said before it may or may not work depending how bad the hard drive is but here is the cable I use. http://www.amazon.com/USB-2-0-SATA-C...5517808&sr=8-3 (around $15 after shipping)

Comment

One of the things that happened to us,
                              was the same thing and we learned the hard way too.
                              We mistakenly let Windows fix the problem and it named over 3000 of our art files with names like
                              "File 0001.chk" which is a generic name it gave everything no matter what file format it was.
                              Here how we went through to salvage what we could.
                              there are programs to do this faster or you can do it yourself. you need to rename any suspect files and change the extension to .omf or .cnd. or .exp depending on what format you usually save your files in. the ones that are actually embroidery files will no show with an icon and can be relocated. then you can work through the remaining files and see what else you can salvage. there may be text files there (.txt) or photos files (.jpg or .bmp or .png) or who know what else.
                              it will usually question you as to if your sure you want to change the extensions, but it is easy to change them back as well.
                              Not sure if this will help but I hope it might.
                              Since you have now learned the lesson that many of us have about back ups. because its never "if" its always "when"

Good luck and keep us updated.
                              Ron
                              Ron Vinyard<br />Body Cover Design<br /><br />Grants Pass, Oregon

Comment

Working...
                              X