Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving in .vip file extension

Good evening everyone.

My mother had given to me her Designer 1 Embroidery machine. She bought this machine in 2001 and when she gave it to me she had a total of 2.5 hours of sewing time on it. I am currently using the machine to do a quilt, (love the built in 1/4 in stitch). Tomorrow we are going to a Softball tournament to sell tournament shirts and hats for our local high school. We had discussed whether I could bring the Designer 1 just to offer putting player #'s on the back of the hats that we are selling. My computer has Window's 7 and DS V9pro+. It shows that I can save in the .vip format but every time I tried it would crash. To put in the software with the Designer 1 I need a new dongle driver for that machine and I really don't want to learn that software if I don't have to. All I want is to just do a set of hat numbers and save it on a disk to use in that machine. I don't plan on really doing any major embroidery on it. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
    Linda
    R&J Screenprinting & Embroidery

Whether your Designer 1 uses a floppy disk or a USB stick, all designs have to be formatted so the machine can read them. They become an .shv design. That's done through a Viking software program called Disk Manager which is available through the purchase of the 4D Organizer program or 4D Embroidery programs (or earlier versions of these programs). I know you can create a floppy disk through Embird but don't know about the USB stick.

The machine can't read a .vip design directly. But the Viking software can read .hus, .pes, .exp, .vip (and several more) and convert them to .shv.

So, part of the answer to your questions is that you don't have to save the file in .vip -- .exp will work -- but you have to have the capability of writing (through software) to the floppy or USB stick.

Barb Bunker in Broomfield, CO

PS: I've had my D1 for ten years -- it's a wonderful machine!
    Barbara Bunker<br />BMB Custom Embroidery<br />Broomfield, Colorado

Comment

Thanks Barb

I have the Disk Manager software that came with the machine as well as the original dongle, my next problem is using the new computer with Windows 7 it won't recognize the dongle, and I know there is new drivers for that dongle, but I don't know if those drivers will have an affect on my Design Shop dongle if I do what it says. One thing they say is to use a SSDClean.exe file which will remove all old dongle drivers. However that driver software was never installed on this computer so maybe I won't do the SSDclean part of it and see what happens. All else fails, you uninstall and reinstall Design shop.
      Linda

Linda

Comment

Linda,
        Someone on this list said I could run DesignShop V7 on my Win7 computer with an updated driver. I still can't get it to work. My BuzzXplore has a conflict as well that the Buzz techs can't explain.

Back to Viking, the 3D Embroidery version wasn't compatible with Vista, but I don't know if they were able to fix that with a new driver. I'm thinking that your Disk Manager program is probably older than the 3D level of the Viking software. A suggestion would be to join the Designer1 egroup at Yahoo and check their files for a fix.

Barb

Comment

Hi Barb

I deliberately didn't install DSV7 on my Windows 7 computer. I need to get really familiar with DSV9 and with me if you have the one you are familiar with I tend to fall back and not bite the bullet and learn the new version.

Yes my Disk Manager is from 2001 which would be older than the new 3D version. I haven't tried the fix yet, we have been busy with little league season and by the time I finish this weeks 572 hats with #'s on it will be Memorial Weekend before I get back to this task. I'm worried that this dongle fix will screw up my DS dongle, so if I do it then and it does, I will unload everything, reinstall DSV9 and perhaps when I go to my mom's use her older computer, make the disk I want and then go from there, I'm not ever sure exactly how these hats are going to sew on the Designer 1. Figured I had to get software in it before I tackled that project. I'll look up the Designer 1 egroup and see what they say. If it doesn't work its not that big of a deal cause I love the machine for regular sewing and doing the quilts.

Linda

Comment

My apologies to the person offended by the Designer 1 discussion, but I think you have to take your own self off this list. It's very quiet because it's the weekend. Just wait until tomorrow, when there will be plenty of valuable Amaya discussions. I was just trying to be of help on something I knew about.

Barb in Broomfield, CO

Comment

My direct email is [email protected] for anyone wanting information on the Viking Designer 1 embroidery machine, and/or Viking software.

Barb in Broomfield, CO

PS: Thanks, Deb!

Comment

Barbara,
                I think it's wonderful that you know so much about the Viking machine.
                All the while I'm reading your posts, I'm picturing a sewing machine made by those vikings on the Capital One commercials.
                You go gurl!
                Share the knowledge!!!

Ed
                -The Embroidery Authority-<br /><br />\"Turning your Problems into Production.\"<br />Ed Orantes<br />504-258-6260

Comment

Thanks, Ed, I needed that!!! Now for the real question that just came to mind: Did Sweden have vikings, too, or were they just from Norway??

Have a great day!

Barbara

Comment

I like to read all the discussions about machines like the Viking. DS allows saving in many formats for Amayas as well as home machines so it is important to understand the needs of the different machine owners.

I still have my old Brother ULT that is still a great machine, a cousin has a Designer I and my neighbor across the street has an old Janome and a newer Pfaff. Recently a customer purchased designs for her Viking Diamond and had trouble with her software.

These discussions can help even those that don't own a Viking.

My thanks to Barb.
                    Marcelle Lewis
                    http://embroideryavenue.com
                    http://embroidery.gotop100.com

Comment

This is an embroidery site - any embroidery discussion is appropriate - especially converting files from one platform to another.

Don't sweat it! [img]smile.gif[/img]

The person offended was unsubscribed as they wanted leaving all of us interested folks left! That's the great thing about websites or mailing lists - if it doesn't interest you, you just don't read it.
                      John Yaglenski
                      Amayausers.com - Webmaster
                      Levelbest Embroidery - Owner
                      Hilton Head Island, SC
                      http://www.levelbestembroidery.com

Comment

Barbara,
                        I know not of Vikings from Sweden.

Sweden has the Swedish Bikini Team, Swedish Meatballs, and the music group from the 80's... ABBA. (Dancin' Queen, young and sweet, only seventeen....)

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
                        Ed
                        -The Embroidery Authority-<br /><br />\"Turning your Problems into Production.\"<br />Ed Orantes<br />504-258-6260

Comment

Thanks, guys/girls. I too have a Viking Designer Diamond (and a quilter and a quilting robot and....) and work part-time for my Viking dealer. I even make a little money from time to time.

Marcelle, I would ask your customer if her diamond is the latest version (you download updates from the Viking website). The machine and current 4D software can read about seven different formats, but not the newest level of PES.

Barb Bunker
                          BMB Custom Embroidery
                          Broomfield, CO

Comment

I really appreciate Barbara's help on this topic as I'm the one that started it. She has given generously of her time, which I know as busy people is sometimes precious. All the information I read here is worth its weight in gold and you can gain a wealth of knowledge. Sometimes just having a good discussion sparks new ideas.

Thanks again Barb for helping me out.

Linda

Comment

You're very welcome -- can you see me blushing??!!

Barb

Comment

Working...
                              X