down loading designs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• down loading designs

I have ordered deisgns from Embroidery Library and requested them as .DST format when .ofm is not available. But when I open them I get and .exp format. Anyone had similar issues with designs from this vendor? Is it a design shop issue or a vendor issue?

Thanks
    Cindy in Phoenix

I have not had that issue. But exp works just fine. In fact, it may work just a little better than the dst. Dst does not hold trim commands! We are so spoiled with DS!

Juli in Kona
    Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Comment

Cindy,
      Both DST and EXP files are considered "stitch formats" as opposed to "Outline formats" such as OFM and CND files. Any file you load into Design Shop that is not recognized as a Melco outline format will be indicated on the screen as an EXP or "expanded" file. The information should be the same with respect to stitch coordinates and color change commands. However, if what Juli says is true, then you may not see dedicated trim commands in the file where you would see them in the "true" EXP file. The reason for this is that a Tajima machine will be able to derive it's trims from settings in the machine rather than in the file itself. A true Melco system will have both trim commands in the file and trim settings in the machine as well.

In short, when you start mixing and matching different parts of a system that are from different origins, you will get what you get. It's not to say things can't work out right, simply more that you will have to rise to the challenge and learn what you need to from various sources until you become the expert with your scenario.

Looking at your original post, what specifically is your issue with the DST file looking like an EXP file in Design Shop. Is something not working correctly... say, as Juli said, with trim commands missing???

Ed
      -The Embroidery Authority-<br /><br />\"Turning your Problems into Production.\"<br />Ed Orantes<br />504-258-6260

Comment

Ed, it is my understanding that with the Amaya we should thrive to get .ofm or .cnd files. However when purchasing stock designs, if those options aren't available I usually go with a .dst file. Maybe that is where I am going wrong. In the past when I have taken a exp file and converted it to wireframe so I can edit it usually ends up being a good deal of time to straighten it out. In other words converting it to wireframe usually makes it sew worse than it was in .exp. At least that seems to be my experience.
        That is why I tried getting the stitch file in a different format then .exp. Your explaination makes total sense and why it downloaded as a .exp. So my next question is what type of file should I download the design in? Keep it as .exp and then work through it? What do you suggest?

Thanks for taking the time to post an answer.

Cindy

Comment

Hey Cindy,
          When you convert a "stitch format" file (EXP or DST) to wireframe elements, I've always said that's the same as an experience chef tasting a chocolate chip cookie and then trying to tell you what all of the ingredients are and the quantity of each. Sure, the chef, with all his experience, will be pretty close but chances are the recipe won't be exactly the same as the original.
          What happens is the software measures the distance between stitches to calculate stitch lengths, angles for corners, how close the stitches are to each other for density, and so on and so forth. With it's high technology, it will be real close to the original but you may have to go into the software and make changes only a human can decifer.
          For this reason, it's always suggested that you only convert the sections of an EXP file that you want to play with and not the entire design because you may very well be messing things up in areas you don't want changed.
          You should also know that when you convert a file or element back to wire frame, the elements that are created take on the default properties of your specific stitch types you have set up in you software. Meaning, in your column tab, if you have double zig-zag as a default underlay, then everytime the auto-digitizing feature creates a column stitch when you convert back to wire frame, then that column (and all others like it) will have a double zig-zag stitch underneath it. And if your EXP file already had a zig-zag stitches under it's columns to begin with, now your column stitches will have triple zig-zag underlay. I hope you understand what I'm saying here.
          Just know that converting files to wireframe and auto digitizing (same thing essentially) are powerful tools that need to be learned and understood in order have consistent success. I don't recommend that beginners play with these tools as chances are they will be unsatisfied with some of the results and not know where the problems are stemming from.
          To answer your question,...
          Yes, OFM and CND are the formats you strive to get your designs in (only if they were created in Design Shop or EDS-Melco's much older software). Otherwise, EXP would be your other choice.
          Think of it this way.. If your neighbor won't sell you the recipe to her world famous chocolate chip cookies so you can bake them yourself, at least she's willing to sell you the cookies themselves to enjoy. What you do with those cookies in your kitchen (or laboratory) is your own business.
          Some digitizers will ONLY send you an EXP file to deliberately require you to call them back for changes or edits that they will then charge you for. To give someone an OFM file allows them the ability to reverse engineer the file and actually learn how to digitize by looking at the secrets contained within the file. And this can be bad for business if you are a digitizer. I may be burning bridges telling you this information.
          Of course, there are other valid reasons a digitizer may only offer EXP files. Let's say you have Design Shop version 5 and your digitizer is using Design Shop version 9. If your digitizer uses a fancy feature in the newer sofware to create a unique pattern for the design, and then tries to save that file in the lower version of software so that you might be able to open it in your sofware, then the unique pattern will be lost. The only way to save the file so that you can sew all the stitches the way they were intended is to save it as an EXP. Sure, your digitizer will have the master OFM copy on their computer but this is what must be done to share the latest features with you, the customer.
          Best of luck to ya'.

Ed Orantes
          -The Embroidery Authority-<br /><br />\"Turning your Problems into Production.\"<br />Ed Orantes<br />504-258-6260

Comment

Ed thank you so much for the education. I had no idea about the defaults and wondered why that happened. I been doing this for a little over 3 years now and digitizers of the world have nothing to fear from me. I would rather pay to have someone create a great sewing design for my customers. I enjoy the task of embroidery but not spending time digitizing. Thank you again for taking the time to educate us all on this forum. I would be lost without it at times.

Here's to a prosporus holiday season for us all!

Cindy

Comment

A prosperous Holiday Season!!!
              I'll drink to that!!!

Ed

Comment

Cindy,

I have hundreds of designs from Embroidery Library and love them. I get "exp", but when you save it, save it as an "exp" not ofm.
                When you go to your order history where you download your designs, you can change the format to what ever you want anytime. If you have dst you can change it to an exp in this window. They have this at the top of the list. They save your orders for quite a while, I have orders from three years ago still available for download.

If you do convert exp to wireframe it won't sew out well.

The "dst" format, I don't use because it does'nt generate an viewable icon so i use exp or pes.

I just received an email from them with a $25 gift certificate. I guess I'll get more in my collection.

Good info Ed' but now I'm hungry with all the recipie talk

Good Luck,

Herb
                \"I have a plan so keen, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasle\"

Comment

Ed, Thank you!
                  That is some great info regarding formats, especially helpful to us newbies to DS and AOS.
                  Even better than chocolate chip cookies [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I appreciate the kudos. Sometimes I worry I'm rambling on and/or losing folks with the detail.
                    And yes, warm chocolate chip cookies and ice cold milk is the bomb! Especially sittin' on the couch with a big blanket watching National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

(Rambling again)

Ed

Comment

Working...
                    X