New Computer / Design Shop Problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Computer / Design Shop Problem?

I need to find a new computer. But the fast new computers are now coming with 64bit and I have been told that this will not work with my Design Shop program. They say I have to upgrade to DS-9 in order to have it run on a new 64bit computer.?? The DS-9 program is just to much $$ for me right now with buying a computer, any ideas??
    Where do I go from here? So frustrated with Melco and their lack of caring. I can't event talk to anyone anymore without first giving them a credit card # and paying to get a question answered.
    Carole<br />embhoop.com

I'm not sure about the whole "lack of caring" thing - There are plenty of people who work there and who are affiliated with melco who do care and want customers happy.

DS9/AOS - does now work with Vista 64 and I can also tell you that it seems to work with Windows 7 too which I have the gold release of.

Far as sticking with 7, I would talk with the folks you are buying the new computer from and either ask a) for a xp downgrade or for b) a vista 32 bit install.

If you order your computer from Dell or HP, you should be able to get the 32 bit install without a problem - which means you wont have to upgrade to v. 9 and you can stay on 7 as long as you like.

Lastly, if you are a tiny bit tech savvy, you can get a OEM version of Vista 32 bit (which includes a windows 7 upgrade) for $109 additional - which you can wipe your new system (do a clean install), and then just grab the needed drivers from your manufacturer. Depending on the cost, this may be the least expensive way to go.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116674

So, you definately have some options.
    John Yaglenski
    Amayausers.com - Webmaster
    Levelbest Embroidery - Owner
    Hilton Head Island, SC
    http://www.levelbestembroidery.com

Comment

In case you were searching for vista business 32bit OEM - you can find it here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116673

The link I gave was for home premium OEM. We use at least vista business on our computers so we can remote desktop in - but if you don't care about that - home premium should fit the need!
      John Yaglenski
      Amayausers.com - Webmaster
      Levelbest Embroidery - Owner
      Hilton Head Island, SC
      http://www.levelbestembroidery.com

Comment

John thanks for the info,husband is the comp guy here. he is checking out the page you sent. I wasn't referring to this list with my complaint. but about Melco in Colorado. before you could always call and if you had a Ser. # you could talk to someone there now you can't get through. it's a recording asking for you credit card # The techs. there are always good just cant get to them. warrantee or not I/ we spent a lot for all this equipment and should be able to access the company. just my opinion
        Carole<br />embhoop.com

Comment

I'm running version 7
          Compact Presario PC Model SR5710y AMD CHIP X2

AND IT WORKS JUST FINE
          WAYNE
          I got it from bestbuy

Comment

Dell still sells new computers with XP on them (they call it Vista with a XP downgrade) This way you won't be forced to spend a couple thousand dollars on the DS9 upgrade.

Comment

I got my new computer (Lenova ThinkCenter) from the local computer shop up the road in May, and they offer all computer buyers the 'option' of Vista or Windows at no difference in price. They also prefer not to run Vista because of all the commercial accounts they service as IT pros have not or will not upgraded to Vista.
              If you shop at a local computer store instead of Walmart or on line (and Dell is sold in Walmart now)...you have the perfect opportunity to 'trade' a new computer for embroidered staff shirts and sweaters...worked for me!

Comment

Working...
              X