Laptop or Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop or Desktop

We are going to buy a new computer just for the machine. We wanted to get a laptop so if we travel with the machine the laptop will be easy to travel with. Does anyone run there machine with a laptop or is it best to go with a desktop?

In our travels, we have seen a number of folks that run their Amaya's from a laptop. We as techs carry a laptop for tech service when multiple machines are present.

Be sure get one that is capable of handling the system requirements and know that the AOS will only operate on a 32 bit system at this time. Design Shop seems to work just fine on the new 64 bit computers, but the AOS side for the machine will not function at all.

Rod Springer
    Amaya Tech & Trainer
    Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

What computer so you recommand? Will it also run off of Windows vista?

Comment

Computers are somewhat of a personal preference. I will leave this question for the more qualified computer dudes on this group to answer for you.

As far as Vista, yes, the Design Shop and AOS software is now compatible with Vista. Having said that, many folks still prefer XP over it hands down. The problem is that XP is getting hard to find....

Ok, computer dudes....your turn..

Rod Springer
        Amaya Tech & Trainer
        Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Not a computer dude but we run our XT from a laptop.We can meet with customers do all the setup while we are with them,go back to the shop plug it in and go to work.A real big convenience.We don't use desktops at all anymore, everything laptop, for the portability factor.Also should add that with a laptop you can go wireless(printer,internet,file sharing)It is well worth going wireless.While at home we can go from inside to out on the deck in summer and still be connected.

Comment

That sounds like a really good idea. My mind is made up now I just have to make sure I get the right one that will be able to run everything. I don't understand computers and know nothing about them, I can get around and that is about it.

Comment

As the computer guru of the group, each one has it's advantages and disadvantages. Keep in mind DesignShop version 9 runs on both Vista and XP.
              I run DesignShop on both my laptop and desktop and move the dongle over.
              The big advantage laptops have is they are portable. If you plan on doing shows with it, I would suggest getting an external monitor as well so the customers see what you see without moving your laptop around and having the customer putting their grubby hands all over your computer. This is very helpful because if they are touching buttons the keyboard, it could mess up your design. Plus many shows sell food and you don't want someone spilling something on your computer. You can still buy Windows XP new from Dell.
              As far as desktops go, you are much more flexible on 'customizing' it when you buy it. It also has several advantages
              1) Faster hard drive speed (laptop speed is 5400rpm) desktop are 7200rpm and some are up to 10,000rpm. Some high end laptops (very expensive) do come with 7200rpm hard drives.
              2) Faster processor on desktops
              3) Better video cards - I think the maximum on laptops is 256k except for high end ones which have 512mb while desktops is up to 1gb (You really don't need more than 256k for DesignShop) but if you Corel Draw or PhotoShop, the 512mb is sweeeeeet!
              4) Desktops usually hold more memory - I wouldn't get less than 1gb of memory. (The more the better) There have been some issues with DesignShop if you run less than 1gb

If you go the desktop route, I would suggest getting dual monitors again. (This requires a video card that supports dual monitors - easy to find)
              I support several thousand Dell's at my full-time job and don't really keep up with other brands but Dell's Outlet can save you a couple hundred dollars and you get the same warrenty as a new one. The past 6 computers I bought from Dell are all from Outlet. I only had a problem with one and Dell sent me a new video card, no charge.

Comment

I second Steve's recommendation of Dell and the Outlet site. I have purchased several from them/there and have had nothing but good experience. Something of which I CANNOT say about the Sony VAIO laptop I am using now. At slightly over a year old, the DVD drive went out and Sony wanted $275 for a replacement (the same drive cost $60 on the web) with the first price I was quoted as over $700. The VAIO has been the biggest piece of crap I have ever owned!

Go with the Dell!

Steve F

Comment

I'll throw my hat in the ring - I like HP Laptops personally. The Dell's are ok - we use them here at work but they don't have much in the way of personality. Kinda boring from a design standpoint. HP's are comparativley priced and work well in my experience.

Truth be told, you won't go wrong with either.

BTW, I have 4gb of ram in my laptop. Memory is cheap - max it out.

Oh, and Vista with Service Pack 1 is just fine thank you. Windows 7 is right around the corner and I tested DS and AOS with it - and they ran fine there as well. Just stay away from 64 Bit systems right now, as the network drivers in AOS are not compatable. Be sure to ask which version you are getting - many computers are coming pre loaded with 64 bit Vista now.
                  John Yaglenski
                  Amayausers.com - Webmaster
                  Levelbest Embroidery - Owner
                  Hilton Head Island, SC
                  http://www.levelbestembroidery.com

Comment

We buy all our computers from CDW (www.cdw.com). They have GREAT pricing and service.

You can also shop their "B" stock - items returned un-used but not able to re-sell as 'new'. Even better deals on those items!
                    Janet<br />Fabrications by design, Inc.<br />269-273-8495<br />[email protected]

Comment

When I worked as an engineer, I needed a laptop so I could go onto the factory floor and troubleshoot the machinery. We bought a Dell. One day a assembly guy dropped some angle iron on it and destroyed the screen. I called Dell to arrange for repairs. I explained what had happened. They fixed it free of charge, stating that it was still under warranty. I had never heard of a standard warranty that covered damage like that.

So, there is my plug for Dell.

Comment

Working...
                      X