Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hoop Definitions - How do I change center offset?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoop Definitions - How do I change center offset?

On the wooden 16.8 x 19.5 inch hoop, the hoop center is 1.5 inches too high. OS won't let me change offset, so I tried to create a new hoop but it wouldn't let me change the offset either.

First question is will the Amaya let me use the entire hoop space? If yes, how do I change the center point?

Thanks much,
    Barb in Broomfield, CO
    [email protected]
    Barbara Bunker<br />BMB Custom Embroidery<br />Broomfield, Colorado

Second Request for Help:

On the wooden 16.8 x 19.5 inch hoop, the hoop center is 1.5 inches too high. OS won't let me change offset, so I tried to create a new hoop but it wouldn't let me change the offset either.

First question is will the Amaya let me use the entire hoop space? If yes, how do I change the center point?

Thanks,
    Barb Bunker

Comment

Barb,
      Without getting too deep into how alter hoop dimensions...
      Why is it necessary for you to teach a new center to the hoop? Could you measure it with a ruler or measuring tape after hooping the garment and then pinning it or marking it.
      Then, using the laser beam, move to that mark and whalla, you are in the center of your hoop no matter what anybody says.

Ed
      -The Embroidery Authority-<br /><br />\"Turning your Problems into Production.\"<br />Ed Orantes<br />504-258-6260

Comment

Come on, Ed! When you center your hoop, you expect it to be centered. Right? What if everytime you used your 18 cm hoop you had to refind the center, day after day? The center should be the center! And no one has answered the question, "Can the machine use the whole hoop?" Or is it that the hoop cannot really be used fully and the hoop input data is correct for that machine?

And, to add to the hoop question, most hoops can be safely utilized more fully especially on the bottom and left sides. I sure would like to move the center and edges down and left about 1/4" or slightly less. Right now I just take of the hoop limit off so I can go outside the limits. And I ALWAYS trace!!!

Juli in Kona
        Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Comment

Juli,
          There will be variations from machine to machine when it come to hoop center. I don't believe it was meant to be NASA accurate. But I do respect there will be individuals who would like both the hoop center and laser beam to be right on the money. As for the working space within the hoop, that will vary from hoop style to hoop style. If memory serves me right, the hoop limit on the "round" hoops default is .527 from the outside of the fixed plastic ring.
          On the other hand,... If the machine is not working correctly or is out of specification, then it takes an educated eye to figure out what's wrong. Personally I haven't worked a great deal with a hoop that big so I haven't committed to memory it's properties. I would have to compare it to another hoop on another machine.
          However, Barb should be able to make adjustments in the Hoop Manager for that hoop. Why she can't at the moment, I can't say.

Barb,

Back in the day, before the Hoop Tech Slimline hoop was available, one had to know to type in a -3 in the Y offset field when using the ICTCS hoop (the original yellow clamping hoop). I'm guessing this is where you would want to make adjustments. Maybe start with a -1.5 and see what happens.
          I'm going on a service call today and will see what options I have to make changes to this hoop.
          Let me know if the Y offset works for you.

Ed Orantes
          -The Embroidery Authority-<br /><br />\"Turning your Problems into Production.\"<br />Ed Orantes<br />504-258-6260

Comment

If I change hoops and pull up a different one, I always find that the laser is 'off' about 1/8" from dead center line up with the needle, nothing you can do about that. And the 'center needle' always finds the center-I've drawn lines vertical and horizontal on the hoops for lineup and tested that way...
            BUT...this is important for newbies...if your LAST embroidered hoop had to be moved to line up somewhere else other than dead center, this is where your NEXT hoop thinks it is on center!
            Always click on 'center hoop' after a design, and to make double sure, 'center DESIGN' using the button next to your needle color selection window. I'd say virtually every design I set up in Design Shop I forget to center the entire design on the grid there...usually the design might be centered but then I add lettering above and/or below it...and forget to select 'all' and center it once again. If your entire design is NOT centered HERE, in Design Shop, then it will NOT be centered when you send the job to Amaya OS. So we just habitually click on 'center hoop' and then 'center design' to avoid that. And when we are trying to line up lettering above a shirt pocket for example, each shirt has to be jockeyed around using the hoop directional keys...but once you change to the next shirt, you have to start over...unless you managed to hoop the next shirt in exactly the right spot.
            Roland

Comment

The laser will be off more the thicker the fabric or item is... because it's not beamed straight down - rather it's shot at an angle. Therefore, defection because of the thickness of what you are sewing will cause the laser to appear more right than center.
              John Yaglenski
              Amayausers.com - Webmaster
              Levelbest Embroidery - Owner
              Hilton Head Island, SC
              http://www.levelbestembroidery.com

Comment

Thanks to all who replied. Just got online for a minute; I'm off the the airport for a trip to England -- back late on the 3rd of September. I may write more then, but for right now, when the big hoop is selected, the top of the stitch area (broken line) is at the top of the outside of the hoop, and it appears that a lot of the hoop area isn't available. I understand about the laser being off, but an inch and a half! That doesn't make sense to me unless you can't use the full hoop area to embroider. But if that's the case, why does the hoop exist at all?

Have a great week, everyone,
                Barb

Comment

OK, Ed, is there someplace other than the hoop definition where I can put in the 1.5 offset? It's greyed out in the hoop definitions. I even tried to create a new hoop definition but still couldn't change the offset.

I can move the design until it appears to be centered in the hoop, but it's outside the hoop limits (on the screen it looks like there is at least two inches of hoop I can't use). If this doesn't make sense I'll send a pic when I get back home next week.

Thanks much,
                  Barb

Back in the day, before the Hoop Tech Slimline hoop was available, one had to know to type in a -3 in the Y offset field when using the ICTCS hoop (the original yellow clamping hoop). I'm guessing this is where you would want to make adjustments. Maybe start with a -1.5 and see what happens.
                  I'm going on a service call today and will see what options I have to make changes to this hoop.
                  Let me know if the Y offset works for you.

Ed Orantes

Comment

Barb,
                    The maximum sew field is shorter than the 19.5" dimension. That's limited by how far the x-beam can move.
                    I have the tubular sash frame. It's 20.7" wide, but you cannot access the total width of the frame for the same reason. It just gives better access the the maximum width of the sew field, as it looks like the 19.5" rectangle gives you full access to the bottom area.
                    Hope this makes sense.
                    Mary
                    Mary Buckle, Charlotte, NC

Comment

Mary, thanks for writing. What I don't think I explained properly is that the sewing area at the top of the hoop actually sits at the top edge of the outer hoop. So, if I loaded a design that fits in the hoop, and centered it, it could very likely try to sew onto the wood, which of course would be disastrous. That's why I need to offset the center by 1.5 inches, but cannot do it in the hoop definition.

Cheers from England,
                      Barb

Comment

Hi Barb,
                        I see what you mean. The area below the center of the hoop is longer than the area above it. I tested your assumption in Design Shop. I drew a design full sew field except stopped at the inner hoop limit at the top. Traced it to be sure it was OK. Then I centered it and it was clearly into the no-no zone, did a trace and it didn't give me an error. Hmmmm.... I think maybe you've found a bug???

By the way, I just looked in the catalog and noticed that this hoop is not for the XT. I wonder why that is?
                        Mary Buckle, Charlotte, NC

Comment

Hey Barb and Mary -

I have had this or a similar problem with 2 of the large SlimLine hoops and the smaller 8x8 SlimLine. I've been certain it's something I'm doing wrong...and it may still be.

With both the 12x9 and 12x5 SlimLines I've given up trying to figure it out and created my own hoop definitions exactly as the original hoop definitions, except with offsets to compensate.

I've stitched out several designs using the 8x8 with no issues and in one particular case I stitched out a test design with no problem, loaded the blank, traced again and the hoop was off just like the other 2 were...what the machine thought was the hoop outline and center was not...and I couldn't convince the Amaya otherwise. There had been no changes...neither the machine nor the computer had been touched...I could find no reason for it and no solution. I eventually changed to the 8" round hoop, finished what I was doing and haven't had occassion to use the 8x8 since.

I'm persistent to a fault...I'll figure it out eventually. For now...creating new definitions works for me.

As FYI...I have the first Vista compatible version of DS Pro+...and an AmayaXT purchased in late Oct 2007.

I'm on my way out of town with no internet until Tuesday evening, but would love to hear if others have experienced the same...or can tell me where I'm going wrong. I spent this evening trying to get past this problem with the 12x9...and didn't get the gift for my friend stitched out.

Yak, yak, yak...sorry for the long post.

Have a good holiday everyone!
                          Anita

Comment

Working...
                          X