Retrace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retrace

When I do a retrace on a walk normal, I expect that it will start and stop in the same place. But, alas, that is not true. It starts at A and goes to B and ends at B, which means that it goes back to A because it has to do the retrace. So it actually does 3 runs - A to B, then back to A and back to and ends at B. If I just want it to go from A to B and back to A (like I would expect it too!) I have to go in and move every out point to over the start point.

Is this right? Or is this a glitch? Using DSP+ v 7.00.046

Juli in Kona
    Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

If you want it to start and stop in the same place (same end of the line) then make 1 line where you want it, then duplicate it right on top-and swap your 'in' and 'out' point markers...now it will sew the first line, and then the second line in reverse...ending up right where you want it to end...if I read your question right.

Roland

Comment

So, what is retrace? What is the point? To my way of thinking, retrace should start and go out and then retrace to go back to the starting point - without changing ins and outs. Otherwise, why would you be using it in the first place?

Juli in Kona

Comment

I have used it when I needed to beef up a detail line but not with a satin stitch single line...you just have to pay attention to 'start' and 'stop' if you want the same color to keep sewing another section without trimming.

Roland

Comment

So, the real question is, do you ever use retrace without changing the ins and outs, or just the out point?

Comment

If you don't change the IN and OUT points...at least in my DS program...then it does just what you saw...end of the line, turns around and goes back to the start...and then heads back to the other end-making 3 passes. I don't know if you can change anything in 'retrace' itself...I found it easier to just duplicate the original line, and swap the in and out points...voila'...I've traced the line back to the beginning. If I'm working on detail in a design (doing a jeep right now) I just use the walk normal 'pointer' just like a pen...I figure out a pattern to get me from the door handle, to the door outline, up to the windshield, around that, down to the hood, etc....making one long continous run and only going back on itself where I absolutely have to, or where I want a thicker line...so I have bare minimum 'trims' and starts and stops. Another way to do it and get the same effect-you can draw in your detail lines but do it in 'segments', always starting one line where you stopped the last one...it will not 'trim' between the two lines but sew continuously...when you need to change details or move something-you just move the line in question.

Comment

I have version 7.00.112. It does what it is supposed to do. Start and stop at the same location.
              Debbie

Comment

I am going to check the versions of DS on my two computers. I may not have upgraded my desktop to the new version. Man! It's hell getten old!

Juli in Kona

Comment

I did check the ver of my software and on both my computers I had v7.00.056 and have now upgraded to .115. But the problem I was experiencing is still the same.

BUT now I think I have this figured out. If I have a Walk Normal from point A to B and I want to make it sew from A to B and back to A, all I have to do is change the Out point to over the Start point. As far as I can tell, the Retrace function is totally redundant and just makes for confusion. There is no copy/pasting, no using the retract function, just change the out point. Very simple. Gads, what a relief.

Juli in Kona

Comment

Juli,

Retrace should work in the way you discribed it in your first note. Point A to B and come back to A. I leaned that in the Digitizing class with Cynthia Tisby from Melco in LA. I don't know why doesn't work for you.

Thank you for your response about the Koozies supplier.

Maggie

Comment

Working...
                    X