No announcement yet.

Tension adjustments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I too like the magnetic bobbins. I think perhaps I have heard sometime that the AMAYA's like a tight bobbin.
    My problem seems that I am getting too much pull particularly when the columns get wider. I am placing underlay with an edge run to the edge to attach the backing to the shirt but the pull of the column is causing puckering and my thoughts are that when I look at the column from the underneath I am not getting enough bobbin showing. that the top thread is nearly touching.
    I am going to try Mary's suggestion of increasing the feed number but when I watch my machine it appears all ready that the thread is feeding out almost now quite a lot.

Thanks
    Mark
    Mark Houston<br />PRO IMAGE<br />51 Plaza Drive B<br />Jacksonville, NC 28540

Comment

My head hurts.
      Just make sure that the graphical representation for the adjustment is going the right way. I can't remember if increasing the number makes more bobbin thread or makes more upper thread (ouch it hurts). What you want is less upper thread and more boboin thread. Watch the graphic as you change the number to make sure you're getting what you want.
      If this makes no sense, call me in the morning.
      Mary Buckle, Charlotte, NC

Comment

Mary,
        I think I remember the setting. I'll give it a try.

Thanks
        Mark

Comment

Mark,

If you are running the machine with auto feed turned on it will generally override the advanced thread feed settings. If you want to achieve the 30% bobbin under columns you will need to run with the manunal setting. Then carefully balance your bobbin tension and thread feed settings to get that perfect column and reduce puckering.

When running small columns, &lt;25pts or so, or small lettering you want less bobbin thread showing on the back of the columns. That will prevent bobbin thread from pulling to the top of the material.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I will try that tomorrow. Taking the day off. That might explain the reason I never could get that appearance because I typically use the acti-feed setting.
            For light fabric(knit) was setting do you use?
            It seems to me from observation that on the auto there seem to be a lot of top thread feeding out, the thread is (hopping back and forth from the take-up to the needle.

Thanks
            Mark

Comment

Hi Mark,
              Thanks to your troubles, I just bailed myself out of a problem with thread feed today. I am doing applique with microvelboa fabrics and was having a lot of thread breaks. I set acti-feed to standard (thickness level varied) and, when that didn't fix things, I changed the run/fill thread feed to 103 (up from 100). It made a HUGE difference.
              I was hyperventilating in anticipation of the worst "sew" ever, and it turned out not so bad after all.
              Acti-feed is wonderful when you don't have special circumstances. It's really nice to have the flexibility that the Amaya OS gives us, and it's important to understand that there is no real perfect "default" setting. The trick is to know when you need to pull out the big guns to fix a special problem. I guess it's trial and error as much as anything.
              I look forward to hearing about how your problem progresses. I know we can find a solution for you.
              I would love to meet you someday. Do you work for or own Pro Image? Would it be OK to come there when I'm in the area?

Comment

Oh, Mark, I forgot to say that I use 2 for a lower limit when I use actifeed. Like you I use actifeed almost all the time. It's addictive, but as I just said, sometimes we need to know when to abandon it for more conventional settings.
                Good luck!

Comment

Pro Image is my own business. I would love to meet you and please feel free to contact me or stop by any time.
                  Am I understanding you to say that you changed the feed from the standard of 40 to 103? Were you in standard mode or acti-feed?

Thanks,this is the value of the boards to share experience and learn from others.

See you later.

Mark

Comment

I just finished my big project. Sorry about being off line a little while.

To answer your question, I changed the run/fill thread feed setting to 103, not the column feed. Isn't your immediate issue for a satin column?
                    I just noticed that the operator's manual has a good explanation on the thread feed settings. It says that the number in the column feed represents the percentage of bobbin thread that's showing. It says further that to increase thread feed for columns, the number needs to be lower. From that it sounds like you should increase the number. It also says that the default setting is 50, but tech support suggested starting at 40. I'm running mine at 40, but I'll be much quicker to tweak it now that I have had this wonderful experience with the run/fill setting.

I have an update on my earlier post on the same subject. Standard feed didn't work as well as I thought for my micorvelboa job, so I switched back to auto feed. The advanced settings in the thread feed tab do indeed apply when running in auto-feed mode so it's like the best of both worlds. Forget about my comment about hauling out the big guns. The Amaya's OS is the big guns!

Comment

Working...
                    X