Adding a STAR on a Firemen's uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a STAR on a Firemen's uniform

The husband of one of my customers is a fireman. He just brought me two uniform shirts to which he wanted me to add one more star to the 2 stars already there. I said I'd do my best. I came **** near perfect and this is how I did it.

I determined through measuring with a ruler that his stars were exactly 1/2" square and butted up against each other. That made the centers exactly 1/2" apart. The color was Navy and since I have only one Navy thread, that was what he was going to get.

Using the Med Star already in DS, I made three of them exactly 1/2" square with their centers 1/2" apart. That made them just touch. I made each star a different color with the last one (this is the one I am adding) the Navy needle.

Then with a ruler, I marked the shirt with a pencil dot in the center of the third star. I hooped the shirt. Then I used the Laser Centering - marked the center of the first star and the center of the third star and centered on that. I did NOT have to hoop carefully at all - crooked or straight, it didn't matter. I then went into Settings/Move and moved to the third color which was Navy. Have to say that I crossed my fingers and prayed. It came out perfectly! I really love the centering function, because without it this kind of job would be a nightmare!

Now I know that I am going to get a lot of these because I am 99% sure that no one else in this town will accept a job like this.

Juli
    Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Good job Julie- I still do it the old fashioned way because my boss(es) have kept me so busy since day one, fifteen months ago, just because I haven't had TIME to teach myself how to use this tool. Maybe I should use the rest of my vacation time for Melco traning! (Not!) But, anyway, Juli, always nice to read your posts, & keep sharing!
    Gregory

Comment

nice job! once you start with the fire departments you usually get alot of return business!

Comment

My second job is coming in today. Not recommended by the first guy, but on the recommendation of a potential customer that I did a sample for. He lives far away and has employees that seem to keep him busy sorting out their problems. And he travels. But today, Fathers Day, he is managing to make it to Kona. There is a potential big (as in 2 or 300) hat job. It is just taking so long to close the deal. And getting the design right. He mainly does screen printing so his designs are often not very good for embroidery. I have to rework the whole thing.

My DH is out fishing. The big Ahi (that's the yellow fin tuna) are running and we need the fish to take to Las Vegas next week. He went yesterday and lost 7 big fish, but fortunately caught one. We can't sell them to the big buyers for much at all, so we cut them up and make jerky. And what a crime that is. This is prime sashimi fish! But we have no trouble selling the jerky - it just takes some extra work that I get to participate in.

Have a good Fathers Day, everyone!

Juli
        Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Comment

Working...
        X