Thread Sling Shots Out Of Needle After Trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thread Sling Shots Out Of Needle After Trim

For about a month my machine is having this problem when I'm sewing certain designs that have small tight stitches or keyboard fonts with small lettering or dots, after the tie off and trim the thread will sling shot out of the needle and a piece of thread will be left behind near the bobbin case.

I've been speaking with Melco but no luck on a fix as of yet. If anyone out there has some ideas please let me know.

Thank you,
    Ben

Happens to all (4) of my machines from time to time. First I clean (inspect & look for abnormalities) & oil the mechanism as it says under settings>timers>4 million; then, I center the needle plate & try it again. If that doesn't help, I "exercise" the mechanism by going to steppers>start test>(wait a few cycles)-end test on the grabber & cutter both, then I click "home" for everything just to be sure. If these suggestions don't help, make sure you have the correct trimmer designated (checked) for your machine.
    Gregory

Comment

Ben,

Sling shotting is usually caused by something going wrong in the trimmer/selector system.

The knife may be dull.

The knife/selecter area may need to be cleaned thourougly and lubricated.

The push/pull cables/push rods may be bent causing the knife and/or selector to not travel their full stroke

It may be caused by hook timing issues or a combination of the above.

I assume we are talking about an XT Amaya?

Have you run the test design called Amtrim? This Melco test design is primarily used to check the trimmer for proper operation.

Rod Springer
      Amaya Tech & Trainer
      Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

GCannon,

I did all the suggestions except the on about "trimmer designated (checked) for your machine."

I'm not sure how or what I'm looking for on that. Can you explain this a little more?

Rod,

The knife is about 2 months old and I've done all the lubrication for that.

I've also adjusted the cable for the grabber as it was off slightly. I ran the Amaya trim test with Melco Tech support and no problems at all.

Comment

Go into Tools, Steppers and at the bottom of the page...assuming we are dicussing an XT Amaya....left click on "detect trimmer."

If this machine will run Amtrim successfully, then you have to suspect a design issue.

Have you tried using a different tie-in and/or tie-off type. Which style are you using now.

Are these designs OFM files?

Are they ones you have digitized?

Are they Expanded files?

Where are the exit points on the small lettering that are failing to trim properly, that is, are they at the end of a column?

For that matter, are there tie-ins and tie-offs present in the dots and lettering?

What kind of fonts are we talking about? Are they pre-digitized Melco fonts or True Type fonts?

How small is small?

Is pull comp being used?

What have you and Melco Tech Support actually tried so far?

As you can see, there are lots of questions to ask and very little information supplied to go on here....

Rod Springer
          Amaya Tech & Trainer
          Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Hello Rod,

I hate to ask but would it be possible if I could call you?

Thank you,
            Ben
            702-221-2134

Comment

Shoot- call him- his number's right there...
              Gregory

Comment

Let us know what you find was wrong so we all learn from your experience. Thanks

Comment

First off, thank you very much Rod for speaking with me on Saturday and helping me to better understand how my machine operates. I would also like to mention the trick with the down arrow button and laser button helped me fix my XT.

To make a long story short I thought the thread was being sling shot out of the needle after the trim but it wasn't. Rod told me to hold the "Down Arrow" Button and the "Laser" Button on the keypad right before the trim happens. This action will stop the machine right before the trim and you can then push the Green Start button for each step and watch how the selector moves out to grab the top thread and the bobbin and then you’ll see the knife cut both pieces of thread.

By watching this I learned that the selector was grabbing three pieces of thread. This part I can't explain correctly but there are three pieces of thread under the garment before the final trim. The bobbin thread and the top thread which is supposed to be split into two pieces by I think the rotary hook. Unfortunately this was not happening and when the selector grabbed all 3 pieces of thread the knife cut the wrong piece of thread which caused the remaining thread to be too short and when the needle returned to its final resting position it appeared as if the thread was sling shot out of the needle.

Because of this action I checked my hook timing and sure enough it was off. After I made my adjustments and ran a few tests, knock on wood, its working great.

Hope this info helps someone else. Thanks again Rod.
                  I think I should of made a video on this.
                  Ben

Comment

Working...
                  X