Amaya OS dropping offline?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amaya OS dropping offline?

Hi everyone. I'm not sure if this is a question for the machine section or the software section. Every now and then (once a month or so) while I'm running a design the Amaya OS just drops off line and restarts itself. Now this doesn't affect the machines at all they just keep running as if nothing ever happened. I thought maybe it was the computer cord coming loose but the computer and other programs do not restart...just the Amaya operating system. It's usually not even something I even notice until I hear it saying machines are online and initialized. This started sometime in the winter and it happened twice last week. Has this ever happened to any of you? Thank you in advance for any feedback.
    Everett & Michelle

Noticed that too with the latest V9.....099 version. It happened to me at least four times using Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. It did not noticing it happening with the prior V9......074 version I think it was.

What version are you running?

Cheers,
    Ed "Kanga" Roux

Comment

Not that exact thing has happened to me, but a lot of little "gremlin-involved" things have happened to me and "The Girls" (as they are affectionately called) while running OS version 7. But the one thing I can't stand is "that voice"- I turned that function OFF as soon as I figured out how.
      Gregory

Comment

voice? voice? YOURS can talk to you?
        Mind passing that doobie over here for a quick hit? LOL...
        never heard a peep out of our big red or the XT replacement, OS 7 or 9....did we miss something?

Roland

Comment

Roland

Go into Tools, Options, Notifications and enable Speech Notification. select what phrases you want it to say and...there you have it.

Our past friend Dick, had his 18 Amayas so they would talk and it drove me nuts listening to them. Actually, it is the computer(speakers) that you are listening to....

Rod Springer
          Amaya Tech & Trainer
          Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

I think the only reason I would enable this function was if I were (mainly) digitizing & running samples & trying to further multi-task at the same time. It could also come in handy for getting rid of "bothersome" people- just tell them that your machine needs you. But, if I ran more than one Amaya, and I (we) do; the "voice notification" must be OFF in my world!
            Gregory

Comment

I use headphone AM/FM industrial earmuffs with a transmitter that picks up the computer speaker through the headphone radio. They muff the sound so well that I can barely hear the machines running, so I rely on the speech notification to tell me when there's a thread break, bobbin out or design complete. It also picks up the email notification chime or any sound that would normally come through the computer speakers. It's really nice not to have to hear the sound of machine all day and it keeps me from getting major headaches.

But back to the original post subject...I would like to know if the OS has dropped off line on any more of you and if so why and what can be done about it.
              Everett & Michelle

Comment

Thanks Rod, we just enabled it and can't wait to have it talk to us! Any idea how to turn up the volume so we can hear it across the room?
                Too bad we can't give it a 'sexy' voice...sounds like we should be watching Stephen Hawking sitting over there! LOL...

Comment

Should be some volumn controls on the speakers themselves or possibly on the computer control panel..

Rod
                  Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

No speakers, just the 'internal' one on the computer.
                    I'll have to ask my son where the control panel is...I doonnoonuddin' about PC stuff...LOL
                    that's what he went to school for.
                    Give me a Mac anytime...

Comment

Gotta have a set of speakers to really hear "Him"...

[ June 03, 2010, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: gcannon ]
                      Gregory

Comment

works fine on the internal speaker, just not loud enough to hear over the noise of the Amaya or across the office with the air conditioner running. Somewhere upstairs I have another set of plug in speakers we'll have to find and try out...Sue got a big laugh hearing it talk to her when she turned off the Amaya first today...LOL...

Comment

Ain't it the little things that make all this worthwhile? I say "Yup.".
                          Gregory

Comment

The voice can be changed. It's a setting in control panel. Depending on your version of Windows there are different voices available. Try them out until you find one you like. You will need sound card and a set of speakers to hear the Windows sounds.

Back to the original problem. Amaya OS is designed to recover seamlessly if a machine drops offline while sewing. If you didn't have the voice notification turned on you wouldn't even notice. It would just be a screen redraw. There are a few things that can cause a machine to momentarily drop off. If you are not using a separate network card for the Amaya it could hang up for a few seconds. Another program could be using some excess processing time. Another machine could have been hogging the network. There are probably another 50 reasons.

If the machine only drops occasionally I wouldn't worry about it. All networks lose or drop packets. If the machine starts dropping off 10-20 times a day then you need to track down the problem. Until then I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

Thank you very much for the reply. I had actually given up hope that I would get this resolved, since this thread turned into a "how do I get the Voice function to work" ha-ha. It looks like I may have been running to many programs...I always have the Amaya OS and the Microsoft Outlook open and sometimes Design Shop and Internet Explorer. Like I said though It hasn't really happened that much I was just curious to know why. I didn't want to be doing serious damage to the software or machine. Thanks again.

Everett
                              Everett & Michelle

Comment

Working...
                              X