Am I a tech now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I a tech now?

Well, a few weeks ago I caused myself a major headache. I hit a hoop (I know - novice in and of itself) and broke the reciprocator on my XT. Well, since I live in the mmiddle of nowhere, no tech was really close to me, so I decided to try to tackle the job myself. It sounded "fun" at the time.

Well, all went well in the parts change - there were a few things that were SEVERE headaches though. got the machine back together, and it sewed like a champ. THEN I tried a trim, and uh-oh, no luck.

I then decided that the grabber must me a little off, so I made an adjustment. this went on several times.

Well, tonight, after about 20 man hours beating my head against a wall, I was able to resolve the issue - a dang loose wire in the wiring harness. It was slid out maybe 1/8 of an inch, just enough to not make contact. the machine is now running smooth, got new oil and grease everywhere, and is ready to do some work.

I say all of the above to say this: If you ever pull a "me", call a tech!!! These guys are good, and you will save lots of time and frustration in the long run.

I want to also offer a sincere thank you to the techs who have helped me along and given me advice in this ordeal. You guys are great.

Am I a tech now? NOT HARDLY. Week before last, in the middle of a job, my XT went ker-whump. The needle was down and the grabber was BEHIND the needles, with one finger bent a little. Luckily for me, my buddy Pineapple (Herman Wilson) had just returned from a tech trip. He walked us through unjamming the machine over the phone, so removed the needle and got the garment out, and DH removed the grabber, but I still wasn't seeing the obvious (the presser foot was holding down the needle clamp and needed to be pushed back to release it). Herman came over, saw the problem immediately and had it fixed in 30 seconds. He stayed to ensure the machine was indeed running properly. We're guessing that the OS hiccupped or something to cause the problem, but I had to admit I was using my cutter while embroidering, which I'll never do again. Thanks, Herman!!

Barb Bunker
    BMB Custom Embroidery
    Broomfield, Colorado
    Barbara Bunker<br />BMB Custom Embroidery<br />Broomfield, Colorado

Comment

Pineapple is a great guy!!
      He set us up here in Nebraska!!

Laurie [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

These machines create awesome work, and run great when they don't have "hiccups" but I have to say they are so damn finicky! They are such prima donnas...it's like before there was Weezer, there was Weeze and we're still in that "Weeze" phase. [img]tongue.gif[/img] It does seem like you're walking on egg shells sometimes. I guess we've just got to do what the XTs want, not what we want....at least for now.
        Embroidery

Embroidery Digitizing

T Shirts

Comment

Am I a tech NOW???
          This reminds me of the only 4 things you need to know to be a plumber:
          1)Hot's on the left, Cold's on the right,
          2)Poop runs downhill,
          3)Payday's on Friday,
          &
          4)Don't bite your fingernails.

To be a tech, all you have to do is be able to fix a problem well enough that the machine can continue to make money. Rubberbands, bubblegum and superglue might help.

With that said, to be a GOOD tech, that's a different story. And to be a Good "Melco Certified" tech, well, that's even more involved.

Walk before you run, but keep knocking them out the ballpark "emason6".
          And if you really get stuck, consider "Mr. Ed".

Ed
          -The Embroidery Authority-<br /><br />\"Turning your Problems into Production.\"<br />Ed Orantes<br />504-258-6260

Comment

And if you need something more than a talking horse (tee hee hee), call Rod. Between Ed and Rod, they can fix it with their eyes shut and one hand tied behind their back!
            (I can torment Ed because he is our son--well, almost!)
            Sharon
            Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Hey Sharon,
              Check out Mr. Ed gettin' a cheeseburger in Rod's car. That's Rod driving and Herb in the backseat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxihu4Xi7Uc
              -The Embroidery Authority-<br /><br />\"Turning your Problems into Production.\"<br />Ed Orantes<br />504-258-6260

Comment

Oh, I was only joking. I have no desire to be a tech. Heck, it took me 20 hours to locate a loose wire

Not sure the family would like that too much. I was mainly saying that use me as an example of what not to do - I will definitely be calling on one of you guys next time!

I will say I learned alot about the machine in the process, but I think I will stick to making things.

Comment

Another good "GO TO" guy here is Herb!!
                  He has been a real life saver a couple times for me! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Laurie

Comment

Working...
                  X