Thread breaks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thread breaks.

I'm new to this form, please bear with me. Last night I had thread breaks every few stitches. First I should start with I Just purchased a 06 XT. As to the thread breaks every few stitches. I was on auto actifeed. I switched to standard, and adjusted until
    it seemed to sew better, but not very good. Then it started to give me bobbin thread breaks every few stitches. Finally I Disabled bobbin thread, and it finished sewing the 70,000 stitches with only 2 top thread breaks. I also should say I'm using up my thread from my Happy (Rapos Thread). Is there anything special I should look at?

Please sign a name so we know who we are addressing
    There are many things we need to know:
    1. What type of fabric are you sewing on?
    2. What type of backing are you using?
    3. Is the garment and stabilizer or fabric hooped good and taut?
    4. What type and size needle are you using?
    5. Are they inserted the right direction with groove down the front and little indention or scarf to the back?
    6. If you were to look with a magnifying glass, is the groove straight forward or 5-10 degrees to the right and ABSOLUTELY not to the left?
    7. How high is your presser foot?
    8. What size cones of thread are you using--if 1,000 meter, are you using the coaster under them?
    9. Is there a chance that the thread is wrapped around the spindle anywhere?
    10. Are the cones tall? Are the thread tubes pushed all the way up so that they are approximately 1/2 inch above the top of the cone?
    11. Is the machine properly lubricated and oiled?
    12. Are you using sticky spray (if so, try not to)?
    13. What speed are you sewing at?
    14. What design are you sewing--who digitized it?
    15. Is the bobbin inserted correctly?
    16. Have you taken a corner of a sheet of paper and cleaned under the leaf spring on the bobbin to make sure there is no wax or lint there?
    17. Is there a possibility that there is thread in behind the threadfeed rollers?
    18. Is the machine threaded properly?
    19. Is the machine new or used?
    20. How is the hook timing?
    21. Could there be a nic or scratch on the retaining finger?

These are just the first things I would check. If all these are good, then hoop up three pieces of a good cutaway stabilizer and try sewing AMPASS. That designs is a test design and should sew at 1200 stitches per minute with less than 3 threadbreaks. Be sure the stabilizer is hooped nice and flat and taut.

If AMPASS sews well, then you have a design issue.

I am sure if Rod were here he would ask more questions. These are just the ones that I would immediately look for.
    Sharon Springer
    Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Sharon

I will try to answer all your q's.
      1-I used several layers of cut away stab for a trial run.
      2-It was hooped tight.
      3-Needle was a 75/11 DB
      4-i even changed needles & used a toothpick to hold it up & to rotate about 5 - 10 degrees. A also switched the thread to a different needle.
      5-Pressure foot I will have to check.
      6-Cone is 5000 meter, Tube about 3/4" above.
      7-I will have to lube, No sticky spray, speed was about 800.
      8-I digitized it with Drawings XP, like I have done for my Happy.
      9-I cleaned under the bobbin leaf spring with paper & rechecked it.
      10- I checked the threading of the machine & nothing in the rollers.
      11-The machine is used.
      12-I will check on timing & nics & scratches later. I have to take care of my sign business first.
      13-Where is this AMPASS design at.
      Thanks for your reply.

Dan C.

Comment

Dan,

This is Rod.

I am going to assume that you have Version 9? If so Ampass is found in C Drive, Program Files, Melco, Amaya, Test Designs.

If you are not using Version 9 and are using Version 7 or lower, Ampass will be found in C Drive, Program Files, Melco Embroidery Systems, Amaya, Test Designs.

As Sharon said....Presser Foot height is very important. I would say that over 95% of your sewing will be done with the presser foot all the way down and up 1 or 2 clicks including caps. If you wish to actually see the presser foot "move", go into Maintanence, Head Timing and drop a needle to Bottom Center. This puts the Presser Foot Cam and Cam Follower in a position so that the Cam Follower can raise and lower the presser foot visually.

The short cut way is to just turn the Presser Foot cog wheel counter-clockwise all the way to the left and then turn it back clockwise 1 or 2 clicks to the right.

Rod Springer
        Amaya Tech & Trainer
        Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Rod,

Again thanks for all help. I checked the pressure foot, all's well with it. I ran the Ampass test. RAN JUST GREAT. 2 thread breaks, & 1 was my fault, Thread spun down around the cone. Should I use thread nets? I hate to say it, Looks like back to school for this old goat, digitizing!!! I only had trouble with 1 area in my design, so I'm going to change to a different fill stitch and see how it runs.
          Again thanks for all the help. This form was a big factor in the XT purchase.

Dan

Comment

where do you get thread nets? Someone told me to use kids socks, but I am not sure what size or anything specific. - mary

Comment

Mary
              Just about any thread supply place, just ask. You will use long ones on 5000 cones and shorter ones on 1000 cones. As long as it covers from top to bottom. Dan

Comment

Dan~

What type of thread are you using? Amaya's run better when using Polyneon thread...

Was there a reason you are sewing only at 800 spm? I usually will have my Amaya at least 1200 spm...
                Tina K.<br />Embroidery Gals<br /> <a href=\"http://www.embroiderygals.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.embroiderygals.com</a> <br /> <a href=\"http://www.bridalgiftspersonalized.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.bridalgiftspersonalized.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.facebook.com/cruisetoembroiderysuccess\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.facebook.com/cruisetoembroiderysuccess</a>

Comment

Tina

I'm using polyester. I'm not use to running 1200 spm. My old Happy would work great at 800 - 850. Last night I ran the Ampass test at 1200 spm. It sounded like the Amaya was going to fly apart. I'm not use to those speeds. I finally came up with a name for my XT. ET!!! Number 5 is alive. It comes from the movie ET. I will slowly use up my Rapos thread & replace it with Maderia from melco.
                  Thanks for your support.

Dan

Comment

"Number 5 is alive." is actually from the movie Short Circuit.....
                    Embroidery

Embroidery Digitizing

T Shirts

Comment

Funny, I have always said the Amaya's looked a bit like Johnny 5 - No dissasemble! Johnny 5 is ALIVE!
                      John Yaglenski
                      Amayausers.com - Webmaster
                      Levelbest Embroidery - Owner
                      Hilton Head Island, SC
                      http://www.levelbestembroidery.com

Comment

Maderia's thread nets are good. They are very soft and stretch well.
                        Marcelle Lewis
                        http://embroideryavenue.com
                        http://embroidery.gotop100.com

Comment

You can also get them (Thread nets) from your local Florist they get every rose they sell in a net covering and they are identical the ones used for thread. A florist supply friend in CALF orders them from the same source as my thread vendor.
                          I don't use them as I find I only need them for maderia cones and I dont use it.
                          But I have a bunch I was given by a local florist they throw them out for the most part...
                          [email protected]
                          Jerome in Minnesota
                          (320)259-1151

Comment

What do you do with thread nets?. How do you put them on? Thanks

Comment

Some use them to keep the thread from pooling off the cone. I find them more trouble then they are worth. But others just love them and find them usefull, all individual Preference.
                              [email protected]
                              Jerome in Minnesota
                              (320)259-1151

Comment

Working...
                              X