New Computer Specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Computer Specs

I am ready to buy a new computer because my old one is several years old and my computer techs have advised me that when it goes, it will be unfix-able because of all the proprietary parts.

So, does anyone have any recommendations? And what about the 64 bit systems. Will DS V9 run on it? Am I going to be able to run my other old programs on a system like that? And what about my printer which is a HP All-in-One (32 bit driver I am positive)?

I don't want to make a mistake and have to get new programs and printers, etc. And I think this is the time to get two monitors. So a big power supply will be necessary.

Juli in Kona
    Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Juli,
    I have been working on Dells for the past 8 years. I have tested many others and found the Dells to be the most reliable and easiest to work on. From what I have read the 64 bit will not run on DS9. I would get Windows 7 with the windows XP downgrade. DO NOT get Vista, it is a piece of crap. As far as your printer goes, go to HP.com and search for your model number and see if HP has drivers for both windows 7 and xp. Dells optiplex model is best foe commercial environments and they do sell them with the option of a dual monitor setup. Don't worry about the power supply. Dell will put the right one in for your setup. Also make sure you get at least 256mb video card. If you do a lot of graphics suck s photoshop, I would suggest 512mb card. Sorry bout any mistakes as I'm on my blackberry. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me.

Comment

One more thing, do not get a Celeron processor. Pentiums are much better. Also get about 4gb of ram

Comment

64 bit Windows does run things - we are running on 64 bit vista in our shop. I'm an HP person myself (we have a lot of problems with Dells at work) but everyone has their own preferences.

I would check with Melco on Windows 7 and the state of things and if they say they support it, I would go with 7 staight away.

Get a lot of ram and a good video card.
        John Yaglenski
        Amayausers.com - Webmaster
        Levelbest Embroidery - Owner
        Hilton Head Island, SC
        http://www.levelbestembroidery.com

Comment

Juli,
          A few things to help stop the confusion...
          Whatever PC you decide on, I did these few things to make mine run like a race horse compared to the way I bought it. Increased memory cards to get 3 gigs-best bang fo da buck at &lt; $60. Wallyworld had a 32" PC compatable TV for &lt; $400.that I added to a 22" screen.GeForce 210 graphics card added Whatta difference!

Don't be afraid of adding the cards D.I.Y. These cards only fit in their designated locations. I looked at the on-line pix for general location description, followed dem directions, bada boom.
          More on this at [email protected] if you want.

Don

Comment

In thinking about my new setup, I have some questions. Just want to get all my ducks in a row before I do this! I plan to only upgrade my office computer to a W7 super dupper computer. It will be running DS V9.00.099. The computer that handles the XT will not be upgraded - it is an XP Tablet version and runs the OS just fine.

When I create designs on the W7 computer using DS9, will I have any problems copying them to the XT tablet computer?

Juli in Kona where it is a Beautiful Hawaiian Day
            Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Comment

Working...
            X