How to ship an amaya

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to ship an amaya

I am not sure this is the correct place for this post, but I figure someone will let me know.

I have one simple question- if I purchase a used machine from someone across the US what is the safest way to ship it- where do you get a box that size and how do you package. What shipping company would be able to handle the machine? Could someone please let me know what they have done in this situation.

When I got my machine, it came strapped down to a skid with a "skid box" over it all. It could only be moved by forklift. When we went down to the airport to pick it up, they forked it onto the back of our pickup truck. From there we took off the box and cut the straps. Had to get another big guy to come and help lift it down. We assembled the cart before that and set it right on the cart. Then we could just wheel it in the house.

Juli in Kona
    Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Comment

You can buy a wooden crate for it, roll it in and close the crate up. Try uline.com or google 'wooden shipping crate' As far as shipping goes, try UPS Freight. Make sure someone buy insurance for it because things do happen!

Comment

You should also call Melco and check their price for an original shipping container. I don't know if they still sell them, or what the price may be, but it is worth checking.

Comment

It cost us $450 to get the new XT shipped here from Melco...so unless you are getting a real deal and willing to chance damage-can't you find one within your driving area used? There's enough of them coming up for sale-and with the 'trade in' program I'll bet Melco (or someone!) is sitting on a warehouse full of them to refurbish.
          Find your area sales rep and service tech-they will have first hand knowledge of machines available close to you. Might spend a few bucks more but if you go through Melco you can buy it WITH a warranty-and insured shipping. Just one 'oops' with a forklift and you can be looking at several thousand dollars of repairs that a regular trucking company is going to try and weasel out of. Some horror stories in the archives here about machines arriving unusable and the problems trying to prove where the damage came from!

Comment

just a quick note....under no circumstance should the machine be allowed to be shipped while still on the roll about stand....

Rod
            Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

You could also find the sales rep where the used machine is coming from-and see if they have someone getting a new machine that would pass along the packing crate and boxes to the person you are getting the used one from. Otherwise you are going to end up paying shipping for an empty crate/skid to get one there!
              I would check with techs at Melco to find out if it is possible to 'roll it into a crate' for shipping. I am sure that would increase damage-the 'head' unit comes in fairly secured down to the skid so there is zero movement of it.
              Maybe you could consider a 'business vacation'-drive out, rent a small uhaul if you don't have a small pickup, and drive it home yourself! Get to see the countryside, get out of the office for a few days...LOL...
              it's been raining almost continously up here in NEw England for two months...we're going stir crazy-any excuse to go somewhere is looking good!

Comment

Speaking from many past experiences,I would say that 90% of my customers have not kept the containers that the machines were shipped in.
                The ones that do keep the container have them for when they choose to sell there machine and won't give them up.

Although you can purchase a container from Melco the cost is very high,,,,,even though its is some what broken down the box that covers the machine when folded up still is about 1&1/2 times bigger than the pallet that the machine is place on.It is still rather bulky and takes up a lot of room,which is part of the shipping cost as well.

I have picked machines up for customers in the past.Like Roland mentioned the smallest U haul you can get will hold the machine, cart and any accessories that come with it comfortably.

If you get a tech,I would recommend the he/she verify that the machine is operational before they deliver it,so that there are no issues "after the fact".

Like Rod said, under no circumstances should the machine be shipped on the moveable stand/cart.The cart is sturdy enough for what it has to do in a stationary enviroment.

Hugo Torbidoni
                Melco Tech
                301-471-3157
                Hugo Torbidoni<br />HT Embroidery & Machine Repair<br />Certified Melco Technician<br />301-471-3157

Comment

Try Navis Pack and Ship (www.gonavis.com). They will pack professionally and ship with insurance. You may need to give them a couple of known tips (wood crate is probably obvious, but cart on top may not be).

Dorothy
                  Dorothy Compton, Owner<br />Bee Embroidered<br /><a href=\"http://www.BeeEmbroidered.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.BeeEmbroidered.com</a><br />(916) 635-7467

Comment

Dear "All stitched up",
                    Shipping of a used machine can sometimes be almost half as costly as the machine itself. This is definitely something to consider when purchasing a machine that is at a good distance from your location.

Machine transport is one of the services I offer along with being a Melco tech and trainer.

What I'm able to provide my customer's is verification that the machine is sewing well at the seller's location along with a report as to what may need replacement or updating before moving the machine. Then I personally transport the machine and set it up at the buyer's location. If training on the newly purchased equipment is requested, I can handle that as well (Melco certified).
                    Let me know if you would like more information.

Sincerely,
                    Ed Orantes
                    Melco Tech & Trainer
                    504-258-6260
                    -The Embroidery Authority-<br /><br />\"Turning your Problems into Production.\"<br />Ed Orantes<br />504-258-6260

Comment

Like Rod said, under no circumstances should the machine be shipped on the moveable stand/cart.The cart is sturdy enough for what it has to do in a stationary enviroment
                      Oh MY.. LOL
                      I just moved my AmayaXT to new quarters 50 miles away. The movers did just that..left it on the cart and used loaded boxes and legacy bungees with hooks to immobilize it in the rental truck.

I had shown them the section of the XT manual where it explains how to move the machine but they were convinced it was better this way.

Once I got everything setup in the new workshop, I had a Melco Tech. He checked some things, added some oil, ran a couple test designs, declared it in working order.
                      Just glad it's okay
                      Cordially,<br />Dee<br />Bordados Distintivos<br />Personalized Embroidered Textile

Comment

So I found this old post about moving the Amaya XT and wondered if there has been newer/better ways to ship the amaya - we're planning a move cross country from NJ to AZ - my husband is driving and I'm flying - I called service and they said if I wrap the head and every movable part in the machine with saran wrap and pack it well that it should be fine. Wondering (1) would it fit in back of RAV4? I guess I have to measure but I know a lot of users take their machines to shows etc. or should I have UPS ship it for me? (don't trust them!) - any suggestions?

Comment

A sales rep who worked for Melco for many years took the Amaya all over the West. I will try to describe how he did it. Leave the arms in the outside position. Take a piece of wood and cut a bit wider than the arms. You are building a shelf and using bungee cords with one end clipped on the front of the board/shelf probably from underneath and wrap around till you find a secure place to clip the other end. Take some time to analyze how to do this. Once you have the shelf secure, remove the screws that hold the thread tree. Have someone to help hold the tree. Gently lift and twist the tree so it will sit on the shelf. if you do this slowly and carefully the tubes will not come out of place. Attach the tree with more bungee cords. Wrap the tree area with Saran and/or bubble wrap. The machine was taken off the cart and put into the back of a Trailblazer. This works for long trips and would work across country. it will block your back window however. when you get to Arizona email us. [email protected]. Margaret
                          Wishes In Stitches Embroidery<br />4502 W. Buffalo Street<br />Chandler, Arizona 85226<br />480-216-3163

Comment

Yes it fits in the back of a RAV 4. I have one and that is how we take our Amaya out to the fair grounds every year. Or anywhere it might need to be taken. With that said the cart usually ends up in the trailer, not in the car with me.

Linda
                            R&J Screenprinting & Embroidery
                            West Branch MI

Comment

thank you Linda! Margaret thank you for the detail description of how to pack the machine. I'll try to figure out the "arms in the outside position" and creating a shelf to put the thread tree. Definitely I will call you when we get there - moving July 2nd 2nd times' the charm used to live in Ahwatukee area till 2000. Now we're looking to move near the Fountain Hills area.

Comment

Working...
                              X