Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is There an Adapter for Small Thread Spools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is There an Adapter for Small Thread Spools?

Hi All,

I have 60 Pfaff Hummel designs (some of them: http://www.pfaffusa.com/82_3407.html) that use Mettler Metrosene thread (http://www.createforless.com/Mettler...e-b1868304c100) for its matt appearance. Embroidering these designs was one of the projects I bought the Amaya for because I wanted to add an embroidered frame to each one of them and the hoops of my home machines are not large enough.

However, when I tried to put one of these spools on the Amaya, I found the thread posts of the Amaya were too large for the small hole of the spool. Is there an adapter that I can use to be able to use these spools on the Amaya? I'm lovin' this machine!

Thanks!
    Ed

Without having one of the spools to see...I'll shoot in the dark here...
    can you take the spools to a drill press, chuck up a 3/8" bit and ream out the hole? That's what I would do...if the spool is large enough to take the bigger hole...

Comment

Hi Signman,

Good idea and I could drill a larger diameter hole in each spool, but it probably wouldn't be practical as I have around 80 colors of this small thread spool, each holding a mere 109 yards of thread. And when the spool runs out, I'd be back at the drill press.

I have a few of these https://madeirausa.com/index.cfm?fus...TOKEN=66747622 that fits snuggly over the thread posts. If I could just find a hollow tube that tapers down to a diameter that would fit the small spools that I could attach to these Madeira cone/spool holders, that would be great. Next time I go to Home Depot, I'll see if there is such a thing.

Thanks!
      Ed

Comment

I don't know how fast you go through a spool...but my drillpress is right in the back of the shop...I'd just run out and drill every spool on hand out-wouldn't take 20 seconds apiece...saves a trip to Home Depot and setting up a tubing adaptor!
        But it does sound like something creative that could be vacuum molded cheap and sold through the thread suppliers. But that would be too easy, wouldn't it!
        Roland

Comment

And don"t forget Marathon thread. It is very good and very shiny - much shinier than RA! I get mine at American Embroidery supply. You have to call and talk to Andrew about the Marathon. Good thread, good cone, good price, good service. He also sells stabilizers from Fred. And they'll cut it for you. When I buy, I get part of the roll cut and part left on the roll. Best of both worlds.

Just thought I'd mention that.

Juli in Kona
          Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Comment

If you use a reamer with a pilot the same size of the hole of the small spool, that would be great..

Comment

There have been many posts about mini spools not working on the Amaya's without an adapter. This was never an issue with older Melco machines (Starlet, EMC and EMT series) If anyone from Melco is watching this board, this should really be redesigned so all thread spools work without have to make, modify, or purchase anything additional. No other embroidery machine has this problem.

Comment

Hi Scot,

"Reamer with a pilot....", can you please tell me what that is?

Hi Steve,

Interesting....I agree! I did find out that 1/4" tubing alone (that same sized tubing that is used to feed the thread from the spools, through the posts and to the acti-feed rollers) will fit through the holes of my spools.

I pulled off one of the white plastic post caps that attaches to the top of the thread posts and connects to the tubing. Then I thought I could just take all of those plastic tops off and pull the tubing through the posts until enough protruded to go through the spools. A "funky" work around, but it would work. But then I thought of what Juli in Kona recently said about having trouble keeping those caps connected to the tubing and wanting to use Super Glue. I quickly abandoned that idea! (Hey Juli...I enjoy reading your posts....and I first learned about "girl tight" from Cynthia Tisby too!)

Anyway, I just came back from Home Depot walking up and down the tool, plumbing and electrical aisles and couldn't find anything that would work exactly. I thought I found some nylon 1/4" tube connector adapters that would work, but found out when I got home that the inner diameter of the female end was too small to fit over the thread posts. UGH!! I should just bring one of those white thread post caps with me next time to see if I can find a similar connector with a 3/8" inch female end that would fit.

I am so determined to come up with another workaround because I want to get this project done!

Ed

Comment

I have a 'step' drill that would work perfectly on this problem-it looks like a 'wedge' drill with 'steps' from 1/8" up to 3/4", it came in a set with 3 of them so the largest goes to 1 1/2".
                  Just figure out which step is the size needed for the tubing, mark it with a black marker (the drill is gold colored), chuck it in a drill press, and hold the spools underneath. Lower the bit until the 'marked' one is in the hole and you are done-it will ream out as it moves down very cleanly.
                  We use it all the time on sintra, aluminum, even the steel on our jeep bumpers. Nice easy way to get an exact size hole for bolts.

Comment

Hi Signman,

If I don't come up with another workaround, I just may have to revert to your suggestions. But then I'd have to invest in a drill press, and then it would have to be next to my Amaya (!P). I wouldn't put that past me.....last year I purchased a table saw with a large table just to cut peg board sheets and dowels down to size to fit in containers to store my 391 Isacord thread spools. That's all I've used it for and it hasn't been on since. It just sits in the garage collecting dust. If only it would cut fine enough for fabric......then I'd have other uses for it.

Thanks much,
                    Ed

Comment

OK, after $69.60 plus tax, I found the following work around at the Home Depot plumbing aisle:

16 WATTS PL-3005 14 OD(1/BCTS)x1/4MIP Quick Connect Male Adapters (pink color-coded packages)

and

16 WATTS A-197 1/4" Barb x 1/4" Tip Hose Barb Adapters (green color-coded packages)

The PL-3005s fit snuggly over the Amaya XT nylon thread post caps if you remove the nylon compression tube sleeve from the adapter. Then for the spools, I bought the A-197s which screw onto the PL-3005s. The spools sit snuggly on top of the A-197s but don't slide all the way down. But it's okay...at least they won't wobble.

OK, now I can do my project!

Ed

Comment

Working...
                      X