Thread trims, NOT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thread trims, NOT!

Well, I just replaced the red rollers for the new gummi ones, and replaced all the large yellow rollers too. Right after upgrading to Amaya OS v9. So I decided to run the AMPASS just for fun (isn't that what we do this for!). Well, I can't get a decent trim between color changes, on any kind of sewing, fill, column, etc. So I stopped and went to the trim test file, and as expected, not a single decent trim. Took the needle plate off, cleaned around the selector and knife (nothing significant to remove), oiled, and made sure the trimmer and selector ran with the maintenance test. Looks AOK. Nada, zilch, no help at all. Checked the bobbin and tensions. No help!

What next? I vaguely remembered a dilemma like this immediately after delivery, took a tech visit to sort it out and correct.

Regards,
    Dave
    David Kohler<br />Integrity Embroidery<br />7942 Mainland Drive, Ste 101<br />San Antonio, TX 78250<br />210-232-2351 cell

Dave,
    Are we to assume you weren't having these troubles before you upgraded and replaced rollers???
    Were you certain to lubricate both the yellow rollers as well as the new gummi rollers???
    Do the gummi rollers spin easily when in the up position???
    Rather than removing the rollers that you just installed and re-installing the old ones, it would be easier to isolate softwares.
    If you didn't uninstall the older software, you should still have an icon on your desktop so you can run the older version of Amaya OS. Try sewing what you were sewing when you were having troubles with the previous version of AOS and see if your problems diminish or go away.
    If they do not, I would think your rollers might be your problem.
    Let us know what happens.
    Ed
    -The Embroidery Authority-<br /><br />\"Turning your Problems into Production.\"<br />Ed Orantes<br />504-258-6260

Comment

I have the new software and the new pinch rollers and do not have any problems.
      Here's a couple of things to check: Is the presser foot at the right height? Do you have force download checked on the ethernet tab?
      I hope you figure it out and post the answer.
      Mary
      Mary Buckle, Charlotte, NC

Comment

Thanks, Ed and Mary, for some definite suggestions. Basically, this seems like a new problem. Sure, I had those occasional nominal trims that were half-baked, and usually solved with a better tie-out, but this is a well-done royal pain. Actually, I rebuilt the hard drive with this CPU after adding some memory (again, for the fun of it) so I don't have the v7 on there, but I might just try and reinstall everything so both are on there. And I might replace some of the gummis with the old red roller for grins, too. Oh, BTW, all new needles, checked the timing and found two of the set screws were loose, so I re-set timing and locked 'em down good and tight. I was running some denim scraps and two sheets of backing, auto-thread seemed to be running fine, no excesses of thread rolling off the spools, new spool of bobbin, clean bobbin case, just the right wag so to speak.

So, talked with Chris at Melco today, and he gave me some other points to inspect. Needle alignment, for one, and a tip to stop the machine just as it is ready to trim that will then cycle slowly and see just what the selector is doing before the knife is supposed to cut the thread. It makes sense that the selector may not be pulling the threads back and into the path of the knife, for this to happen on all needles and all types of thread on all types of stitches.

Case not closed, but still under investigation, autopsy to follow, news at 6, film at 11, yada yada.

"Turning my Production into Problems,"
        Dave
        David Kohler<br />Integrity Embroidery<br />7942 Mainland Drive, Ste 101<br />San Antonio, TX 78250<br />210-232-2351 cell

Comment

Dave,
          Your motto could use a little work. &lt;grin&gt;
          I hope you figure this out sooner rather than later.
          Mary Buckle, Charlotte, NC

Comment

I liked the motto, made me laugh!

Tina K.<br />Embroidery Gals<br /> <a href=\"http://www.embroiderygals.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.embroiderygals.com</a> <br /> <a href=\"http://www.bridalgiftspersonalized.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.bridalgiftspersonalized.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.facebook.com/cruisetoembroiderysuccess\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.facebook.com/cruisetoembroiderysuccess</a>

Comment

Tina got it! Mary, the motto was a twist on Ed's email signature!!

Alright, some serious update...
              First of all, Chris Fenton at Melco called about another issue so I dragged the big dog into the fight, and he gave me pointers to follow out on, and I did tonight. I checked the needle calibration, position in the needle plate hole, and moved a few, mostly to the left, but only one or two "clicks." Rechecked my hook timing and spacing between the needle and hook, looks dead on. So I ran the AMTRIM, and used a technique to stop the action right at the point of beginning the trim and step through it. Aha! The moment of truth - sure enough - the selector is missing the top thread consistently (catches the bobbin OK). It is as if the hook is not allowed to turn around the clock far enough, it stops leaving the top thread at about 7 o'clock, and this is too far to the left of the selector to grab consistently. Now, here's the rub... all this is with AOS v9. I went back and reloaded v7 (which by the way, the two versions want to install by default into the same directory, not like Design Shop which goes into separate ones, you have to change where to install on your own, I digress). Anyway, I run this AMTRIM design, same gummi thread feed rollers with v7, and it runs perfectly, hence my discovery where the hook is at with the thread when the trim selector starts to move, right at dead up and down, 6 o'clock. Immediately went back and started in v9, and voila, the problems resume, back to 7 oclock! So techs, what gives??

Once again I've $pent buck$ to upgrade $oftware and it's not up to par. Don't get me wrong, there are some great looking features, it looks like in this new version, but it just does everything consistently wrong, and slower. And if you "touch" the mouse in the middle of some action, it always gives me a "not responding" reaction and takes even longer to calculate and refresh the screen.

Well, I have a long weekend away from the shop to attend Abilene Christian University Sing Song weekend. So everyone else can mull this over and figure the next update needed.

Regards,
              Dave

Comment

Dave,
                You may have found a needle in the haystack. This is the first I've heard of this but your sofware was just released a few weeks ago.
                There are quite a few things that will determine where the thread falls when wrapping around the rotary hook in preparation for the trim cycle. I'm guessing though, that if Melco finds this to be a consistent issue for multiple customers, then they will investigate and make changes as necessary.
                Only problem here is you don't get reimbursed for your time figuring this out.
                Personally, when things are running well, I don't like to mess with anything - unless it's absolutely necessary. (My momma told me this.)
                Have faith in Melco as they WILL figure this out and get you where you want to be.
                Ed
                -The Embroidery Authority-<br /><br />\"Turning your Problems into Production.\"<br />Ed Orantes<br />504-258-6260

Comment

I tried to do some stitching with OS V9 (Amaya XT) for the first time today. Design had 3 colors and used the cap frame. Mostly just lettering and a few columns.

First cap only seemed to mis-trim on color 1 once. Second cap mis-trimmed on color 1 once, and on color 2 both trims, 3'rd color Needle broke after the about the 3rd trim. Not sure if the needle bent because of a mis-trim or not.

This may be just a coincidence to your problem but I have not had trim problems until this morning after using V9 for the first time.

Comment

Update to my post above: I redid the embroidery using Design Shop Pro+ V7. I tried to load the file done in V9 from Amaya OS and it didn't recognize the format.

I used the same fonts/sizes and the same column graphics that I did on the V9 cap. I left the 3 needles alone that had the problems with trimming (one broken). I left everything else alone. The design stitched out without a problem.

This does not set me back. The only thing I can think of is there was either some setting somewhere that had been set by my trainers in V7 that I did not set right in V9, or there is an issue making V9 incompatable on my XT. As I thought about watching the V9 version sew out I remember thinking that there was many more loops of top thread pulling out the top. I didn't notice any while sewing the design with the V7 version.

I also realized that I usually set actifeed to a min of 5 (for caps) and it was at the default which I think is 3. So before sewing I made sure that OS V7 was also set at 3.

Comment

The default for the "auto lower limit" in auto acti-feed is 1.

Depending on what material you are sewing on 3 with auto may be a high setting....

Creating a design/lettering in Ver9 and saving it as such will not allow Ver7 to open it. Doing it the opposite, i.e., Ver7 to Ver9 will work ok.

You can create it in Ver9 and then save it as a 7.00.xxx ofm file format.....then 7 can open it just peachy....

Rod Springer
                      Amaya Tech & Trainer
                      Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Working...
                      X