long stitch skips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• long stitch skips

I have a older Amaya that skips stitches when it sews a long stitch. Sews okay otherwise. I have replaced the hook and did not change the situation.
    Greg

Ours started doing that a couple months ago-anytime I had a long 'underline' or straight border-even the underlayment (center line) wouldn't 'take'-it never caught the bobbin thread.
    Try this...move your 'start' arrow a 1/4 or 1/2 inch in from the end. Don't know what it does or why...but once I did that anytime I had a poor stitching on 'lines' or single line borders-it ended it! It now will start 'in' a little bit, then back up and do the entire line without a problem.
    And that's all I can tell you...I am not a tech but it works!

Comment

I stated my problem incorrectly. Instead of skipping on the long stitch the machine is breaking thread. It is happening on all needles. It sews grat on running stitches and small column widths, but if the width goes over 1/4" it starts breaking at most any speed. I have checked speed, presser foot height, needles, yellow rollers, hook timing. I have replaced the hook too. Any ideas?
      Greg

Comment

From Me, the great commissioner of silly questions -- what kind of thread are you using - poly or rayon, good stuff or new brand? I started out with rayon (EONS ago) and discovered it just doesn't work well. And there are a lot of brands of thread I won't buy again because they just don't seem very strong.

Judy

Comment

Guess, I have to ask....why are you sewing columns over 1/4 inch wide and how wide are you trying to sew them.

What material.
          What is the density?
          What underlay and stitch lengths?
          Running on Auto or standard?
          What auto lower limit setting are you using?
          Etc......

Rod Springer
          Amaya Tech & Trainer
          Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Rod, Judy,

Okay here goes from everything I can remember
            any material 7 oz pique, twill, polpin, tshirt
            Density--3.6 to 4.0
            underlay could be a zigzag of 1.2 to 1.8 also a run stitch of 2.2 to 3.0

Machine on Auto
            lower limit--2 to 4(if higher false bobbins).
            Arc, RA, maderia polyester thread
            Hoop size did not matter
            The width is around 1/4" due to large letters for monograms as an example, but not limited to or a 1/4 moon where it will run okay on ends, but break frequently in the middle.

Machine runs ampass test okay until you get to the flower where the jump stitches are

We are using groz beckart DBX-K5 75/11 and 80/12 ffg needles

Speed--500spm--1200spm

I replaced hook thinking the hook was bad, which I still beleive it is . I thought the hook was causing the breaking, but it was not. It happens on any needle. All i can thnk of at this point.
            Greg

Comment

Greg,

Your problem is a difficult one to diagnois because of the varibles involved. As a tech I approach this from the 'process of elimination' standpoint.

It would start with checking all of the critical functions of the machine. This includes many items all involved with timing issues. Z-axis timing, hook timing, X-axis cable tension, threadfeed motor/computer values to see if the proper amount of thread is actually being fed correctly, the condition of the Take-up Lever Cam Disk which would be an extremely important item and the list would go on. And then there is the lubrication question?

How old is this machine? How many total stitches have been put on it? When was the last time the Take-up Lever Cam Disk was lubricated? The pop-up timers are only guidelines to go by and my personal opinion based on experience is, if you are waiting for the timers to tell you to lubricate someting, you are waiting too long. The timers cannot calculate into the equation the individual environment the machine is exposed to, such as heat, humidity, non-run time, i.e., oil/grease drying up, etc, etc...

The Amaya's were designed to run with Organ brand DBX-K5 needles and something as simple as this can/may make the difference in the operation of this machine. The proper orientation of the needles and the correct needle depth setting would also have a direct effect on this issue.

I know you say that you checked hook timing and even replaced the hook.....not questioning your mechanical ability but did you use the "closest needle" to time from, how close is the needle guard gap set? The closer this gap is, the better the machine will sew at higher speeds, which is just one of the benifits...Did you reset the Retaining Support Finger gap using the guage? Did you check, with a magifying glass, the face of the retaining support finger for nicks, gouges and/or burrs as this could deffintly cause you some grief?

As you can see, too many varibles, it may be time to cry 'uncle', bite the bullet and let a tech go over the machine with a fine tooth comb....have you called Melco?

Rod Springer
              Amaya Tech & Trainer
              Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Hi Rod and Greg,
                I have to say ditto on the hook, but I don't think I have seen this little fact mentioned:

I was having sewing problems that were getting worse. I tried everything short of standing on my head, which I can't do. I finally called Melco to schedule service. They had me change options&gt;ethernet&gt;force download from unchecked to checked. Voila! Problems solved.

Simple thing. Might help.
                Mary
                Mary Buckle, Charlotte, NC

Comment

Okay,

Hugo came out and went through the machine and we went through it replacing the takeup lever cam and rebuilding the feeder gears. But replacing the threader feeder motor did the trick ...

Plus he taught me how to properly use super glue
                  Thanks Hugo

Greg

Comment

Working...
                  X