Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thread Sensor issues on only 1st and 2nd needles (Amaya red)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thread Sensor issues on only 1st and 2nd needles (Amaya red)

Hi,

I'm having problems with one of my amaya reds, up until a few weeks ago it was my favorite machine! Here's whats going on:

Needle 1 will start to sew and only get to the default 16 stitches before it stops and the message comes up for a thread break, however the thread isn't broken. If I press start again, it continues to sew but again it will not stitch more than the default 16 stitches before stopping and crying "thread break" when it isn't actually broken.

I've tried changing out the red roller, the roller inside, new needle, blowing out the thread break sensor, using different thread - nothing works. Rotating the thread sensor bar worked temporarily but soon it began to do the false thread breaks again. A week later, needle 2 began doing the same thing. The rest of the needles sew fine. Rotating the sensor bar seemed to be a quick fix but however gently I do it, it seems to no longer be helping.

If I turn off thread detection for that machine, it will sew beautifully but if a thread breaks on any of the 16 needles, the machine will just keep running without alerting me. Obviously not a good way to operate.

Can anyone make suggestions on how to remedy this issue??

~ Alison

I don't know the answer, but be careful about rotating the thread sensor bar. Just jiggle it no more than a quarter of a turn back and forth. It is attached to the machine with a wire that can break if it is rotated 360°. If the rest of the needles are not having a problem, then something is wrong in the tension of the thread as it passes around the sensor bar; when was the last time the machine was lubricated? Are the number 1 & 2 needles the ones you tend to use the most?

Comment

Mama Kass,

Thanks for the reply. Didn't know about not rotating the bar 360*, I think I've gone past the 360 mark but the rest of the needles are still sewing fine, it's just 1 and 2 that are having this issue. No, I don't use them the most often, I keep my main colors in the middle needles and use the outer ones for switching out colors....

I do the timed maintenance religiously and apply grease to the rollers often in-between, greased the inner roller recently also and it hasn't made a difference.

I wonder, if the sensor bar is malfunctioning, is it possible that it's only affecting the right side, where needles one and 2 are...?

Comment

Did you try just cleaning the sensor bar? It can build up with dust, oil and/or wax and stop working right. I use a little rubbing alcohol and a clean rag and it usually fixes this.

Comment

quote...I don't know the answer, but be careful about rotating the thread sensor bar. Just jiggle it no more than a quarter of a turn back and forth. It is attached to the machine with a wire that can break if it is rotated 360°. If the rest of the needles are not having a .........

Right about being careful turning/spinning the sensor tube...but the wires are not attached to the tube itself. Inside the tube is a platform on each end that have a small rubber ball bearing that is used as a dampener. Getting aggressive with the tube could dislodge this rubber dampener, so be gentle..

As to the failure you are describing there can be multiple reasons for the false thread breaks. One could be wear in the V rail blocks on the back of the needlecase. Also on the Reds, there is a center roller bearing that creates pressure/tension on the bottom of the V rail. At the outer ends, like when the needlecase is at #16, the needlecase is hanging heavy and vice versa if the needlecase is at the #1 needle. The oly way to adjust this tension is to remove the needlecase. This is just one possibility...there are many others....when was the last time the machine was "thoroughly" gone over by a certified tech?

Rod Springer
          Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

We had a certified tech do a thorough maintenance after we bought the machine(used) not quite two years ago.

I'll look into the v-rail, see if there's any way I can find if there's an issue there. Like I said, the machine runs great as long as we don't use needles 1 or 2, but of course I'd rather fix the issue and definitely do not want it to start affecting other needles! Thanks for the advice all.

Comment

Working...
            X