not trimming...my turn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not trimming...my turn

Top thread isn't trimming. I've searched the forum and the maintenance cd and tried much of what I found to no avail. Probably more than necessary.

I'm doing lettering with 65/9 needles and 60wt thread. There are 2 trims, both fail 100% of the time. This came on slowly...once or twice in an evening, now all the time.

I started by cleaning the bobbin case, under the throat plate, around the knife...gently...there were no threads or dust. I oiled the knife where recommended. I moved the 2 colors to different needles in case it was the thread feeders or other thread path issues and replaced the needles while I was at it. I've tightened the bobbin and lowered the presser foot. I eventually changed the blades (never been changed...it was a thought). Oiled the grabber drive.

Any suggestions? I'm tired...and have 30 t-shirts to do. Plenty of time if I don't have to babysit my Amaya XT.

I have not tried a different design or something with 40wt thread...didn't think of that till now.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Anita

Since you have done just about everything, I'd try tightening the actifeed. When the thread is too loose, it just isn't tight enough to cut the thread.

If that doesn't work, I'd try 40 wt thread and a #10 needle. There is a big difference between a number 10 and an 11 needle when working with small letters.

What is the density? With the 60wt thread, it should be just a bit denser, i.e., instead of .4, try .38 or .35.

There isn't a lot of difference between cutting and not cutting. Just the smallest adjustment can make the difference. If it was cutting with a #11 needle and 40 wt thread, and now it isn't cutting, then, obviously it is the smaller stuff.

Sometimes it is the tie off stitches that are the problem. You can try changing them or even manually digitizing them.

Anyway, something to try.

Juli in Kona
    Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Comment

Thanks Juli...Some things to try are a good thing...&lt;smile&gt;. I can see that just the smallest adjustment can make all the difference. I just got up and created a new design with same setup except .5". Trimmed perfect. Made it smaller, .3" and it didn't trim.

I think you may be right about the tie off, and I'm not seeing one after the false cut. As I lay awake I realized I couldn't just manually cut them...I could tell the stitching was coming loose. I'm assuming the alphabet...Executive Block...has tie offs and trims digitized, true?

I shut everything down, reran the design, trimmed as expected. Ran it again, no trim. Software or me?

I'm off to a quilt show...need the break. Thanks for your help.

Anita

Comment

So, what's the end of the story? I decided to just babysit my machine and just get er done. Darn thing is humming and trimming like there had been no issue at all. Go figure.

Maybe I'm just not running it enough...

Comment

Working...
        X