Fabric Showing Through Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fabric Showing Through Design

This goes back to the Corvette question about the pink shirt showing through. I just saw the following writeup on one of my embroidery groups. I haven't tried the Dry Cover-up product but think it might be something I'll buy.

Barb in Broomfield, Colorado

QUOTE:
    Coverage on Dark or Bright Fabrics

You try to embroider a white polar bear onto red fabric, and the polar bear ends up pink. Or you try to stitch pale pink on black fabric and you end up with a sickly grey. If you stitch the fill area twice (for better coverage), the design is a stiff as cardboard. What do you do?

You need to place a barrier between the fabric and the thread. The simplest solution is to use a product such as Dry Cover-Up from Hoop It All. You place the product on top of your fabric, embroider the fill area, then tear away the excess. The fabric color will not show through the stitches, even after repeated launderings. The Cover-Up comes in different colors, to make any fill area look better. Use Google to find online sources if your local dealer does not carry this product.

Another solution is to use a design that uses appliqué instead of fill stitches. Select an appliqué fabric that is opaque enough to hide the color of the background fabric.

Next issue: organizing the info

from Mary Jane Allen of Perfect Little Stitches
    Barbara Bunker<br />BMB Custom Embroidery<br />Broomfield, Colorado

I have used the dry coverup and it works well. However all I had was white...wouldn't of solved the problem since the corvette was dark green. What I did end up doing was to use some black tulle under the underlay and it worked like a champ. Thanks for everyone's input and help. Ck

Comment

I'm probably the ultimate penny pincher of all time. When I have this problem, I use either white or black stabilizer on top of the fabric, outlining and trimming before letting it get to stitching. It works really well...for black or white designs.

Comment

Working...
      X