thread tangling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thread tangling

What do you all do to prevent the thread from unrolling while it is stitching and tangling? I thread mine down through the middle, but occasionally I get thread breaks that are related to the thread up top getting all tangled w/in the spool being used. I don't get how that happens, but I have to completely take it off, untangle it, then re-thread. I've heard of the little net things that go on them, but have not used them. They make the thread a little tight, I've heard and that, too, causes breaks...any suggestions that work for you all?
    Blessings~cindy

What kind of thread are you using?
    I have never heard of this happening.
    Debbie<br />Sew Many Things

Comment

It's probably just my luck, then! ha...it tangles up around the post or something..it's so weird. It happens on my ARC, my Isacord, and the Maderia and they happen on both the big and the little spools.
      Blessings~cindy

Comment

I've had it happen too; although primarily with the smaller spools of thread. If you don't want to put one of those little nets on it, just keep an eye on it.
        Theresa

Comment

I will use a net if it helps. I've just heard mixed things about it. Where do you get yours?
          Blessings~cindy

Comment

Most of the time the reason for this is that the thread tubes are to high. Try lowering the tubes so that they stick out about 2 inches from the top of the spool. The small 1000m spools are the biggest problem, since the thread tends to get wrapped under them as well.

Hugo Torbidoni
            Melco tech
            301-471-3157
            Hugo Torbidoni<br />HT Embroidery & Machine Repair<br />Certified Melco Technician<br />301-471-3157

Comment

I would agree with Hugo, I have my thread tubes just above the large spools, maybe even 1/2 inch. Then make sure you use the cardboard disks, when using the smaller spools. This raises the spool up closer to the top. I forgot about, those smaller spools, and it took me forever to figure out why Melco sent those cardboard disks. Worked like a charm and I don't have to adjust the tubes, everytime I change the spool.

Comment

Debbie,
                Melco should have discussed with you what those cardboard disks were for in the training class. Have you had the chance to get to the training?
                Ed
                -The Embroidery Authority-<br /><br />\"Turning your Problems into Production.\"<br />Ed Orantes<br />504-258-6260

Comment

The problem with using nets on your spools is that they can sometimes be too tight. If you choose to do this, make sure you stretch them out a bit so they don't inhibit the way the thread should be released from the spool.
                  Consider this, I've been in the game now for 7-8 years and I can count on one hand how many customer's I have seen using those thread spool nets. My point is your solution may not lie with these nets.
                  Ed Orantes
                  Melco Tech & Trainer
                  504-258-6260
                  -The Embroidery Authority-<br /><br />\"Turning your Problems into Production.\"<br />Ed Orantes<br />504-258-6260

Comment

I did go to training, and it was great. I would recommend it to everyone. I think, though, I had already figured it out, as I went to training a couple of months after I got my machine. I was one of those people, who had worked at a company, using different machines. Of course, I already knew everything, I neede to know. Until, I went to training, and learned I knew nothing.

Comment

I went to training and none of this was mentioned. Maybe I was in overload shutdown and don't remember it, but I think it's more the case that they weren't mentioned. I've had this problem only recently and am glad the topic came up.

Anita

Comment

I get that unspooling problem mostly on cones that don't have a bottom -- the ones that are almost a triangle shape. I do use the thread nets, but they are a pain. I do use a lot of thread wraps. They are a clear, self-cling vinyl. Wrap around loosely making sure the starting poing faces the right direction so the thread runs under it instead of snagging on it. They work well because you can control how tight they are.

HTH,
                        Judy

Comment

Here's my 3ยข worth...
                          thread tube-sticking up 1/2", no more past tip of cone. SMALL cones always on the coasters, same 1/2"
                          net/web...tried it-pain in the keister...it would lift right up with the thread and tangle it all.
                          Tangled threads, loose, wrapped around under the bottom of the cone...could never figure it out UNTIL one day I was working next to the amaya and not using it-and the ceiling 'Modine Heater' kicked in-fan forced heat...and the AIR started unraveling the thread! The thread is light enough to catch the air and it would just blow it around and around-unraveling.
                          Then, on small cones-thread wrapping around under the coaster...we were running hats-machine jumping around everywhere and vibrating...and we watched the small cones literally unwind themselves-because they are NOT hitting the foam platform which grabs the larger cones and holds them in place!
                          Hope this helps you figure out where your tangles may be coming from!

Comment

I like the Astre Net expandable nets from Madeirausa. They are very soft and expand a lot. They come in a package of 12. For the small spools I cut them into 3 pieces since the net doesn't have to cover the entire spool. They are also good to use for all the spools to prevent unraveling when not in use.

Marcelle
                            Marcelle Lewis
                            http://embroideryavenue.com
                            http://embroidery.gotop100.com

Comment

A different approach - we had the same problem.
                              for the big cones (Isacord, madeira 5000 - 7000 spules etc.) we take a doublesided velco strip about 1 inch wide (available in most hardware stores on a small role) - cut about a 4 inch piece of the rolle and wrap it like a cone ( or scarve) around the plastic cone holder (with the soft side of the velco outside) - that holds the cone firm down - and can be re-used again and aigain.

for the smaller minicones (1000 - 1200 Isalon etc) amann suplies a plastic cone cup free of charge - fit this above the plastic holder and your thread will not fall and tangle

Peter - Vienna - Austria

Comment

Working...
                              X