Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Razzle Dazzle and embroidery

Afternoon all,
    I have a customer that wants some rhinestones added on top of an embroidered design. Cheerleader stuff, you know they like the bling. I know I can get the rhinestones / lettering on line from some suppliers but my question is can they be applied on top of the embroidery? I think they have to be applied by heat so I want to make sure the heat will not damage the embroidery thread and they will stick. Anyone know?

Thanks

Cindy
    Impressive Threads

From what very little I know about it, I think it is best that the rhinestone be applied to the material, not the embroidery. That means that a design must be digitized for rhinestones, a little hole where each stone would be applied.

As far as our thread goes, they say not to iron directly on the embroidery thread. That tells us something. I have never actually had any thread melt although I have ironed the embroidery face up, but would I do a job where I would be applying fairly high heat on thread that I even think would melt? I don't think so! I'd so some serious investigation first.

Good luck, and when you come to a conclusion, let us all know.

Juli in Kona
    Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Comment

I agree with Juli. I have done a little work with rhinestones. It is very important to have the glue on the rhinestones stick to the fabric. They need to really, really stick...and need the most amount of surface area possible. There isn't all that much glue on the heat fixed stones..there is an adequate amount. If you stuck them on top the embroidery, you would not have nearly as much surface area stuck down as if they were stuck directly to the fabric.
      Theresa

Comment

What about using the old fashioned crimp-on rhinestones rather than the glue-on ones. They are available from "Rhinestone Guy.com Inc" phone #(888) 594-7999 and website http://www.rhinestones.org/
        They mention crimp settings for ice skaters where glue failure would be an issue.
        Hope this helps.
        Redina

Comment

I have used those, too. Downside is, the prongs snag on Everything. If you're working with a fabric that is not snaggy, then they are great. There are sew on ones, too. You sew them on with a beading needle. Rhinestone Guy is an outstanding resource; that's where I have bought my stones. He also makes the iron-on transfers, you might ask him about the best way to affix them for this type of project. One can also just get glue-on rhinestones as opposed to heat fix rhinestones. I prefer the glue on ones, you can control how much glue you put on. Yes, it takes time.
          Theresa

Comment

We use a company called Rhinestones Gone Wild and they have put rhinestones directly on top of embroidery and as of yet have had no problems. They heat set at 365 degrees F for 15-20 seconds. You might check with the thread company just to double check. It's got to be easier than all those prongs and the glue.
            Margaret
            Wishes In Stitches Embroidery<br />4502 W. Buffalo Street<br />Chandler, Arizona 85226<br />480-216-3163

Comment

Working...
            X