Coated vs Uncoated Bobbin Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coated vs Uncoated Bobbin Case

Was wondering if there is a way to tell the difference between the coated and uncoated bobbin case? I know there is a difference with the timing schedule but I can't tell the difference by appearance. Thanks,

I think you are refering to the rotary hook. Coated ones are black, uncoated are silver.
    Herb<br />Royal Embroidery

Comment

Thank you...I have both an XT with the black rotay hook and an older Amaya with the silver one. So I can use the same bobbin case in both?

Comment

Uncoated rotary hooks ( silver ones ), are set for a 200,000 stitch lubrication sequence.

Coated rotary hooks ( black ones ) are set for 600,000 stitch lubrication sequence.

I personally would not wait for the timers to come up to prompt me to oil either one. Yes, you might let the coated hook go a bit longer between oilings.....we oil ours at the start of every day and if running hard, approximately every 4 hours, regardless of stitch count. A cleaning process takes place at the same time also....

Rod Springer
        Amaya Tech & Trainer
        Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

All,
          The bobbin case is not coated... it's the rotary hook that is.
          Explanation:
          The rotary hook is comprised of two parts: 1) the outer spinning part and 2) the stationary part where the bobbin case is inserted. The latter is referred to as the "bobbin basket".
          On a coated rotary hook, the bobbin basket is coated with a teflon coating (black in color) for reasons thought that it's slipperier surface would allow the operator to not have to oil it as frequently as with a standard (silver) rotary hook.
          In time, it is possible for this coating to wear through rendering you with a rotary hook virtually identical to the standard hook only black in color which would then require you to oil the rotary hook more frequently as you would with the standard hook.
          Hence, I tell all my customers to set their rotary hook timer type to "uncoated" to remind them more frequently to ensure long life on their rotary hook and not mistakenly thinking that the coating is made out of something like of "Kryptonite" (Superman's weakness).
          Of course with the newer technology comes a higher price. So if you do need to replace your rotary hook for any reason, you could replace it with the standard hook and save yourself some moohlah.
          Regardless of timers, oil your hook once a day at the beginning of your 8 hour shift - unless you are sewing non stop and then oil every four hours (this would be twice a day).
          If you are concerned that your XT does not have a black rotary hook, know that Melco is putting standard (silver)rotary hooks on the Amaya XT's.

Ed Orantes
          Melco Tech & Trainer
          504-258-6260
          -The Embroidery Authority-<br /><br />\"Turning your Problems into Production.\"<br />Ed Orantes<br />504-258-6260

Comment

Ed,

Standard 8 hour work day? I thought 12 hours was a work day. 8 hours is practically having the day off [img]smile.gif[/img]

We oil our hooks every morning when we start and then again 1 or 2 more times throughout the day. Doesn't hurn to make sure they are wll lubricated.
            Aaron Sargent<br />Pegboard<br />541-727-1440

Comment

Aaron,
              I've had customer's tell me that they were afraid to, both, over oil and under oil the rotary hook.
              One cannot over oil the rotary hook. If you do over oil it, the worst thing that could happen is that you get oil on your next garment or floor. (For this I say put a 5 gallon bucket underneath!)
              If you under oil the rotary hook, you get to meet your friendly neighborhood/interstate Melco Man (or Woman if you live in Florida) sooner than expected. One good drop is all that's necessary. Put two drops and expect an oil stain on the next garment.
              A big problem is folks don't know where to put the drop of oil.
              Place the drop of oil on the hairline crack between the outer spinning part and the stationary bobbin basket. Surface tension will cause the oil to absorb into the area where it needs to be.
              A dry rotary hook can make wierd sounds and definitely cause thread breaks.
              One lady who had recenly purchased her business from someone without any training asked me why her bobbin cases were too hot to touch after sewing???
              Unbelievable!!!

Ed Orantes
              504-258-6260
              -The Embroidery Authority-<br /><br />\"Turning your Problems into Production.\"<br />Ed Orantes<br />504-258-6260

Comment

Working...
              X