Sewing Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sewing Machine

Does anyone have any opinions on a workhorse sewing machine? We also do some sewing and our $100 Singer "El cheapo" is about done.

Thanks,
    Linus

Linus, I also do clothing alterations. I have Juki DDL8700 straight needles--they're industrial machines. They don't do anything fancy, like zigzag stitches or buttonholes, just straight stitching. They cost $700-800 new, but they're great machines. If they're taken care of they will outlive you! They come with a large motor so they're VERY fast machines. If you have never sewn on one before, i takes some getting used to so you don't sew your own finger. Hope this helps! Dianne

Comment

How much are you wanting to spend? Do you want to be able to make buttonholes, hem garments, sew seams or what? An industrial machine is great if all you want to do is a straight stitch. They are FAST! If you want to do general mending and such, get a good european machine. I've been selling machines left and right on Ebay. I presently have a Viking #1+ on Ebay. The last of the metal body models made, and a workhorse of a machine. Machines from Walmart and such are "disposables". Use it 2 or 3 months and throw it away. The dealer here suggests using them as doorstops or boat anchors, LOL! Let me know if i can help you find something in your price range on Ebay. Edna
      Etched In Thread
      Preserving Your Memories in Thread

Comment

A 950 Bernina Industrial sews 1500 SPM, non computerized with excellent stitch quality, heavy duty motor and does a few decorative stitches and button holes. Sells new for about $1000. I have one that I use to hem jeans.

Barbara

Comment

Linus,

Depending on what you want the machine for and the volts(110v vs 220v), whether you set it on a table or in a machine stand. A machine that is very capable that we used in our sewing operations for about 10 years is the Juki DL555 and the DL5550. It is a lock stitch, has needle positioning, auto backtack and a trimmer. Very durable machine. Mitsubishi, Phaff and Brother to name a few also are good. 220 v panasonic motor is the way to go if you have 3 phase, but a 100 works too, just longer to wind up.
          Greg

Comment

Working...
          X