Clamping Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clamping Systems

Lately, we have been getting more requests for "hard to hoop" items, such as backpacks, etc. I am considering the purchase of a clamping system, but they are very expensive so I want to do my homework. I have considered both the Slim Line and the ICTCS, as well as FastFrames. Can anyone give me pros and cons for each? Anyone have a system they prefer/ recommend?
    Robert Brooks<br />Buy The Stitch<br />Custom Embroidery & Graphics

Robert,
    I have the Slimline clamps and love them very much however, you are limited to what you can do with them. If the spot needing embroidered is close to the edge of the garment it works okay, but if not, you have no where to put the excess fabric. Last night I put a logo above the pocket of a shirt type jacket and was just barely able to center it, because the collar had to be bunched up against the clamp's back hinge. The clamp can not shut if there is too much bulky fabric in the way. But, I use it on most all the bags I've purchased, 12 pack coolers, beach bags, garment bags, computer bags and more. HTH Debbie
    Debbie Rinehart<br />Deb\'z-N-Stitches

Comment

I started with the FastFrames and finally graduated to the SlimLine clamps. Yes, they're costly but heavier items will not stay secure with FastFrames, even with the clips.

Barb in Broomfield, CO
      Barbara Bunker<br />BMB Custom Embroidery<br />Broomfield, Colorado

Comment

Robert, and Debbie...we got the Slimline clamps (identical to the ones from the manufacturer, by the way-but melco sells them WITH the adaptor for Amaya-the 'other guys' don't. AND buy them from Melco and you don't void warranty if something happens-and the techs will help you with problems.)
        Okay, fastframes...except for 1 or 2 that have spoken up, everyone that has gone with speedframes got rid of their fastframes. Period. Unless you have a specialty item that only the fastframe works on-you won't use it. Backpacks are too bulky and heavy for fastframe and the adhesive backing won't hold them.
        Slim line frames...yup, very restrictive on how to hoop stuff-no place for 'excess' material to go. BUT if you are doing above the pocket area, or name on right, logo on left of jackets, just turn the jacket AND logo 90 degrees-and clamp it 'in' from the zipper edge! It will work fine for you! I take an 'artist's triangle (clear plastic) and line that up on the zipper 'hemline' and make a chalk mark perfectly perpendicular to the zipper, mark with a ruler where I want the 'center' of the name or logo, and then have masking tape on the top clamp hoop with pen marks to match for lineup. Quick 'trace' to make sure, then sew away!
        It is so darn easy that way! And just did a couple kids backpacks for back to school, lined up right on the money for placement on decorative trim, or whatever-and also did the nylon 'lunchbox' that matched, and even managed to clamp and get the snout into a nylon pencil bag the little girl's pack came with!

Roland

Comment

Debbie, Barb & Roland -- thank you for the information. I just received my Slim Line from MelcoMart, and I love it. I do see what you were referring to, but I agree that with a little creative clamping can get into a lot of areas that I previously could not.

How do you adjust your presser foot for use with the SL? If I have mine installed correctly (I think I do), the item sits closer to the needle than in a regular hoop. When I adjust the presser foot to barely touch the material, or one more notch down, I get false bobbin breaks. I adjusted the presser foot deeper than I thought was necessary, and alleviated my issues. This was on a light-weight quilted material. I didn't have any problems on this run, but I don't want to mess up registration. Any advise is greatly appreciated.
          Robert Brooks<br />Buy The Stitch<br />Custom Embroidery & Graphics

Comment

If you have the frame adjusted right (and on ours, it does tip 'up' towards the front of the machine-not level-then just adjust the pressor foot until it works for you.
            For heavy items, totes, jackets-you have to be real careful about the material/garment hanging off the table-this pulls the 'window' down and it will run into the nose of the bobbin housing.
            We learned to ignore the 'gray line' area of the allowed sewing area-and pretend there is another line 1/2" INSIDE that-less sewing field, but after the first ruined jacket because the hoop drooped and jammed into it-and design jumped-that was the last time!
            Accordian fold large items to sit under the bobbin housing on the table, or get the 'table' adaptor that sits there-use a box-or sit and carefully hold the weight of the item off the hoop.
            It will definitely speed you up. We have masking tape around the perimeter of the top frames with guide marks-evenly spaced-so we can line up a shirt by the hem, buttons, chalk mark-whatever-the same place everytime.

Comment

Hi there,

I have seen mention of the Melco table that attaches to the AMAYA. What table? I have not seen it on the online catalog. If someone has a part number and a brief description of what it is for, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

-Loyda
              Loyda Olson<br /><a href=\"http://www.PreciousKeepsakesStore.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.PreciousKeepsakesStore.com</a>

Comment

I inquired about the table for my Amaya and was told the tables are only available for XT machines. There are 3 available, a 6", 9" and 36" I believe were the sizes.

There was a table available for the red Amaya's like mine, but was told it's been discontinued.

Barry

Comment

Thank you!

-Loyda
                  Loyda Olson<br /><a href=\"http://www.PreciousKeepsakesStore.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.PreciousKeepsakesStore.com</a>

Comment

Part Numbers for the table tops are:
                    33278 Large XT Table Top
                    33025 Mini XT Table Top
                    33218 Micro XT Table Top

Medium or Large Table Tops are highly recommended for use with the Extra Large Slimline 2 Clamping System.

Dave
                    David Anderson<br />Keband Australasia

Comment

Thank you very much for their part numbers! I appreciate it.

I have one more question on the clamping systems. I've seen the thread about the slim line compared to the fast frames. Does anyone know what the main differences are between the slim line and the ITCS frames. They look a lot like the slim line, but I'm guessing there are functional differences between the two.

I would appreciate any feedback on this. I am planning on buying a clamping system, and since they cost so much $$ I am nervous about picking the right one.

Thanks!

Comment

Just an update on how good the slim line clamp works...we are finishing up a small run- 15 large tote bags (Sanmar #BO75)
                        3 lines of type, .6" high, one color-almost the width of the 6" 'window' frame.
                        NO backing, no underlayment. All we did is stick the handle loop
                        through the frame, under the bobbin snout, then pull the tote up to the edge of the frame assembly and clamp it-lined up perfectly.
                        Average 4.5 minutes each to sew, about 1 minute to take one off and get the next one ready.
                        No trimming between letters, and we're down to the last one-not one single thread break! Lettering density is 4.3, no backing. Needles are turned slightly, pull comp 105.
                        I would 'guess' if we used a round hoop like we used to- about 10 minutes to change over, hoop, line up?
                        Started about 1 hour ago and have been running without stopping. I'd say total time, including setup and test sewout, will be about 1 3/4 hours. 15 totes for local school office, retail price with 5,000 stitches- $141.40.
                        So the right clamp system can MAKE you money fast!
                        Roland

Comment

I need to give a estimate for 200 bags, I think they are going with Sanmar BG90, 97 or 98. The bad part is the person I am dealing with that is associated with the school also has an account with SanMar so she is ordering the bags to save the school money on this project & I am only doing the embroidery. First of all they have'nt decided on if it will be logo & students name or just name it of course depends on my estimates for the embroidery. Please help me with the estimate I should give. I won't know the stitch count of the logo before giving the estimate which she needs in the next few hours to present at a school meeting today. If it was a logo it sure would be easier then having to input all the names! I will also have to purchase a clamping system so tell me what I will need to order and from whom I should order it from to do the bags, if I do the job.
                          Thanks a bunch!!

Comment

Do you have DS Plus Pro? There is a feature there that you can input a list of names and then bring up one at a time for sewing, with or without the logo. I just got a small job of 15 bags where I'll put the logo with name, so think I am going to take the time to learn this feature. The list can be emailed to me in a simple txt format.

I'll let you know how I do on it. Just got my dongle for DS yesterday, so I am fairly at the bottom of the learning curve.

Juli in Kona
                            Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Comment

I have DS Pro. I will check that feature out.
                              When I purchased my XT's I got the Slim Line with Adapter bracket and only the slime line 6.5" X 5" window. Also a fast frame for dog collars and belts. None of which came with any instructions so I have yet to try either......
                              Is the slim line window I have the size I most likely will use or is there another size that would suit the bags better? I assume the bracket will work for all or is that not the case?
                              I guess I will call Melco to get instructions on the set-up of the slimlime. Let me know how your list of names worked.
                              Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X