Material Feed vs Acti-feed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Material Feed vs Acti-feed

Does actifeed cancel out material feed? Are they the same? Same effect? How are the different? When to adjust either?

Some of the prior conversation made think about these and how little I know.

Terri

Terri,

No,activ-feed is material thickness. The older Versions 4,5 and early 6, if my memory is correct did not have the "auto acti-feed". Standard acti-feed meant and means that you select the material thickness manually depending on the material thickness you are sewing on.

Auto activ-feed selects the material thickness automatically for you by the use of two extremely sensitive crystals that sense differences in pressure from how tight the thread is pulling up on the thread break sensor tube. This system has evolved to where it now works very, very well. I would use this at all times unless I was doing a speciallty item.

When would you use Standard activ-feed with this system, doing Puff style embroidery would be one where you need to take any varibles out of the mix and run at a "constant, consistant" material thickness. Very thin scarves, hankerchiefs, lace may be some of the others. Experimenting and testing would be the only way to see which method would give you the best quality embroidery....
    Rod Springer
    Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

I have version 5. This version calls it Material Thickness, which is very self-explanatory. It seems that the confusion comes in their having chosen the word "feed" in "auto acti-feed". It muddles it up with the column and run/fill feed settings. Here is an explanation of the difference between Mat'l Thickness/Acti-feed settings vs. column and run/fill feed settings; it was provided by YD Custom a couple of years ago in answer to a question about controlling puckering:

It seems to me that you would want to increase your material thickness rather than adjust the thread feed. You are correct in thinking that the thread feed will increase the amount of top thread that is fed out but won't adjust the stitching because there will be less bobbin thread so there is no net gain of thread. By increasing your fabric thickness, you are telling the machine that you need more total thread (bobbin AND top) to complete the stitch.

Comment

Auto Acti-Feed Limits
        Auto acti-feed automatically adjusts for different garment thicknesses. You can however provide some guidance in the form of autofeed limits. This will provide a range in which auto acti-feed must operate.

Autofeed Lower Limit (Minimum)

The autofeed lower limit guides auto mode with a minimum thread feed. It allows auto mode to adjust and feed more thread as needed, but it will not allow feeding less than the specified amount. The exception to this limit is the last few stitches before a trim. They will be allowed to feed less thread and essentially create a tighter tie stitch.

The lower limit is helpful when dealing with more delicate or squishy materials. It is helpful were the thread could pull tight, but a little more loft is desired.

The autofeed lower limit can be accessed through the Thread Feed Tab or through the Advanced Status Tab (if available) of the main AMAYA OS screen. To access the lower limit:

Select Tools from the menu bar.
        Click on Settings.
        Select the Thread Feed Tab
        The same information can be accessed from the Advanced Status Tab if available in the main AMAYA OS screen. The autofeed lower limit is shown as the "Minimum".

Autofeed Lower Limit Suggestions
        The autofeed lower limit is used to provide guidelines for auto act-feed mode. The following settings are suggestions of settings that might be used to better accommodate different fabrics and the backings. These settings may need to be adjusted as material weights differ across the variety of garments on the market.

Material Lower Limit
        Broadcloth with cut-away backing 3
        T-shirt with cut-away backing 4
        Polo shirt with cut-away backing 5
        Towel with tear-away backing 8
        Unstructured cap with tear-away backing 4-5
        Structured cap with tear-away backing 6-7

Autofeed Upper Limit (Maximum)

The autofeed upper limit is a seldom used, but occasionally handy feature. It is not available on all models of the AMAYA. If it is unavailable, the machine maximum of 40 points is used.

he autofeed upper limit restricts auto mode with a maximum thread feed. It allows auto mode to adjust and feed less thread as needed, but it will not allow feeding more than the specified amount.

The autofeed upper limit is disabled by default and will use the machine maximum of 40 points unless the check box enabling the feature is checked.

The autofeed upper limit can be accessed through the Thread Feed Tab or through the Advanced Status Tab (if available) of the main AMAYA OS screen. To access the upper limit:

Select Tools from the menu bar.
        Click on Settings.
        Select the Thread Feed Tab
        The same information can be accessed from the Advanced Status Tab if available in the main AMAYA OS screen. The autofeed upper limit is shown as the "Maximum".

Sharon
        Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Originally posted by Mama Kass View Post
          By increasing your fabric thickness, you are telling the machine that you need more total thread (bobbin AND top) to complete the stitch.
          Despite the years of experience, I wasn't even aware of this nuance. We learn every day.

Thank you Mama Kass. BTW, did you get to use the <a href="http://colmanandcompany.com/static_s..._Backing1.html">Heat Seal backing</a> that you were discussing earlier? And, how was the quality?

Comment

thread breaker sensor tube

I have a Big Red about 2005 or so with the original thread breaker sensor tube, I can update the part. Is it worth the update, as in will I notice the difference in thread breaks, quality of the embroidery, etc
            Thanks.
            Dave Janis

Comment

[QUOTE=Thank you Mama Kass. BTW, did you get to use the <a href="http://colmanandcompany.com/static_s..._Backing1.html">Heat Seal backing</a> that you were discussing earlier? And, how was the quality?QUOTE]

I've had too many other things on my plate, but if Juli says it works you can be sure it does.

Comment

Working...
              X