Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amaya XT

Hello everyone,

I am a new user to this forum. We are a small company based in Ireland who deal primarily in sportswear.

In January 2010 we purchased 3 single head machines, they are not XT but a very similar version previous to these. Although we have owned the machines for 2 years they were pruchased second hand and previous to that were pruchased on 18 December 2003, almost 10 years old.

Recently one of the machines has had a bit of trouble, we have got it running again however the quality of the embroidery can only be described as terrible. The machine has been well maintained and I have looked into as much as I can to no avail. I do have a number of points from the machine:

1. It is very loud when running (louder than others)
    2. Quality of embroidery is very very poor

Has anybody any ideas how to rectify this? I am happy to answer Q's if anybody wants to help.

Thank You
    Paul
    Paul Creaney

Paul,

The "previous" non-XT machines are fondly referred to as "Big Reds" by the folks that own them. They have a white body and transparent red plastic side covers. The sewing arm is flat on the top side. There are some red and white XT's and they are referred to as the "tweeners" or "pre-XT's" because they were actually the proto type for the change over from the Big Red style to the XT version. When the XT version was released in earnest, the color was changed to a platinum body and smokey greyish transparent side covers.

Are the sewing arms on you machines flat on the topside? Are they red and white?

You really have not given any real information to go on here. The only clue of any kind is when you said, "Recently one of the machines has had a bit of trouble, we have got it running again...." What was the bit of trouble? How did you go about fixing the machine? Has a tech been involved to any degree at this point? Are there any techs in your area? Have you had any training as to the "proper" lubrication of these machines? Do you "strickly go by the pop-up timers for any lubrication on the machine? If you do, it is not enough, which can be dependent on several other factors.

Did you adjust the hook timing? If so, did you "properly" gap the retaining support finger with the supplied gapping tool? The support finger holds the rotary hook basket in place to keep it from spinning. It is chrome in color and spans across the front of the bobbin case area.
    If this is not gauged properly, approximately 20 to 23 thousands ( .020 to .023 ), the machine will make quite a racket when it runs and should/could experience multiple thred breaks.

Need more information as to what the "bit of trouble" was and how it came about.

Rod Springer
    Amaya Tech & Trainer
    Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Hi Rod,

Thank you, yes we have 3 Big Reds as they are referred to.

The machine is capable of running again as we had a tech here, unfortunately he wasnt a MELCO AMAYA tech but works with another company, he did not diagnose the problem fully.

At first the needle was stuck in the plate and we had the Z axis error on screen, the tech then got it to the point where the needle was up the error removed and the machine capable of running though running very poorly.

We are very inexperienced in terms of knowledge. I do the maintenance upon each request by the machines, and every 6 weeks I change the needles and give the machines a service then as well.

The hook timing I will attempt to do, it sounds quite complicated but I am willing to give it a go in the hope it could rectify the problem.

Thanks
      Paul Creaney

Comment

The needle being stuck down and a Z axis error is understandable. Anything that will restrict or cause binding in the needlebars moving up and down or the rotary hook shaft from rotating freely will result in a Z axis error. Having said that, a malfunctioning or failing/failed Z axis motor will give the same indication. A weak Z axis motor will cause the needle to go down and if there is any binding, will not have the strength to lift itself back up.

The hook timing is not all that difficult. but, always do it on your "closest" needle. This number and your timing target number is found under the black table top in the lower right hand corner of the base casting. They will show something like 199.8 or 200.1, every machine is a bit different. The closest needle is indicated by C-1 or 2 or 3, etc. the F- number stands for the fartherest needle which you need not be concerned with.

There are two timing positions, the left and right position of the hook point behind the needle and the forward and backward spacing of the needle to the face of the hook point ( this is the needle guard gap ). Both are critically important. As to the gap, touching but not touching is how close this distance should be.

The Big Reds weakest point was the color index optical laser sensor. This sensor has a very narrow slit (approx 1/64 inch ) for the laser to shine through. It was very easily contaminated with oil, lint or other debris and the needle case than would get lost and move, usuallly stopping between needles. this could cause all sorts of problems. the XT's no longer have this sensor and use encorders attached to the motors to determine where the needle case needs to stop during a color change. The sensor on the Big Red needs to be blown out on a "very" regular basis. Once a week may not be often enough, depending on what you are sewing on and the dust/lint, etc, that can be generated while sewing.

When you say you do a service every 6 weeks, how extensive is this? What is done.

Rod Springer
        Amaya Tech & Trainer
        Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Ireland! and I thought I was a long way from a tech. Listen to anything Rod has to tell you. He really knows his stuff and, to top it off, is a great guy. Good luck diagnosing your problem.

Comment

Working...
          X