a LOT of thread breaks and some needle breaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a LOT of thread breaks and some needle breaks

I am trying to stitch names on backpack straps. I am using Design Shop Old English font. No funny twists or tweaks. The strap on the backpack is a little padded and thick(er). I have raised my presser foot all the way up because the straps are so padded, I have also tried going down with the presser foot one click at at time just in the even it was too high. I have switched needles, needle numbers (from 8 to 3) just trying anything to get it to work. I have put my material thickness in Amaya OS from 15-25. I have lubed my rollers that the thread goes through. I have changed bobbin thread, checked the distance between the little arm thing in front of the bobbin basket, oiled my bobbin basket holder, sprayed air to remove lint, etc. Just a general cleaning and lubing. Still tons of thread breaks, quite a few needle breaks. I am using the 16 needle charcoal gray Amaya machine. I am using tear away backing. I have tried 2-4 layers of backing during the fiasco. I am at a loss and have to deliver 25 bags in the morning. Please help.
    ~Chrissy~

Try increasing your material thickness to 50+
    the straps may be very thick and that may do the trick.

If you have any silicone spray spray the serface of the strap it will help lube the padding and help with the thread breaks.

This worked for me.
    [email protected]
    Jerome in Minnesota
    (320)259-1151

Comment

Hello. Thank you for replying. I am about to pull my hair out! I have set and re-set everything I know of. I did raise my material thickness to 40, that's as high as it would let me go. I have slowed the stitches down to like 300. I have never heard of the silicone spray. I will get some for the next time, I can assure you. So far with slowing the speed and raising the material thickness, I have managed to get 2 bags done. Thank you for your input!
      ~Chrissy~

Comment

Hi Chrissy. The only other thing I can think of...are you using rayon thread? If you are, switching to poly might help. AND, those straps can cause static electricity. Try rubbing the strap with a dryer sheet before starting to help decrease it.

Comment

Thank you. I really think slowing the machine down is the ticket. I've never stitched this slow! I am so sick of this machine at this point, I would try anything.

Thanks again for your input!
          ~Chrissy~

Comment

Chrissy,

It's not so much the material thickness setting as the lower limit being too low. If you are running in "auto" mode the material thickness will take care of itself but the lower limit will stay where it is set. If you havent finished yet try increasing the lower limit and you should be able to speed things up.

Steve I.
            Trinity Embroidery
            Steve I.<br />Trinity Emb

Comment

MY Opinion....
              Look at the weave of the strap material. When the needle enters this weave, it can very easily deflect, missing the hole in the needle plate. Instant needle break. Happens more often during a curve in the lettering. Also notice how the colums in the curve appear deformed. The thicker the material, the more exagerated the problem. Use the biggest needle you have. Use a sharp, not a ball. Slow the machine down, 6-7 hundred is not uncommon. You dont say how you are hooping but this can also create some problems for you.

Don't blame the machine. You just need to find the combination that allows it to do what you ask.
              Herb<br />Royal Embroidery

Comment

Working...
              X