connecting through wireless router?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• connecting through wireless router?

I was just wondering if I hooked the amaya up to a lan port on a wireless router, would i be able to use a lap top on the network to control the amaya. Just curious.

Thanks
    kevin

Kevin,

Not sure I fully understand your question but will try to give some information on it.
    AOS to AMAYA/AMAYA's needs to have a dedicated Ethernet connection. This means that the Ethernet connection can not be connected to your internal network nor the internet. Always use a 2nd Ethernet connection to connect to a internal network and/or the internet. Most notebooks only have 1 ethernet connection so if you can not connect to you internal network and/or internet connection via wireless you can purchase a usb to ethernet connection to work around this. Here is a link to an example of this adapter http://www.google.com/products/catal...8307275&sa=X&e i=RDVTT4uYJJGctwf0nqivDg&ved=0CKUBEPICMAM

Now to answer your other question that I think I understand your asking. I have seen where a user takes a wireless router with ethernet ports and have connected AMAYA/AMAYA's to it via ethernet cables and then connected the pc via the wireless connection. This is not something that Melco supports but it is something that works. Keep in mind that this type of connection still has to be only connected to AOS to AMAYA. The reason Melco requests that there be a fully dedicated Ethernet connection is because there can be all kinds of traffic on other types of Ethernet connectivity. That traffic will cause problems/delays in the AMAYA connection.
    Please let me know if you more questions on this

Thanks,
    Mike Doe
    Melco
    [email protected]

Comment

The Tajima TFMX-C1501 has built in wireless. You can also transfer data via USB, compact flash, LAN or disk to it. Melco really needs to keep up with technology or other companies will run circles around them.

Comment

Thank you for the feedback

Comment

I am not saying here that it Is What is recommended by Melco.

But

I have been Running my Amaya with out incident on my net work with only one ethernet card.

I have a fairly good size network and I have my designs on a server along with client file on the internet in their cloud. so it in necessary to have full access.

I have the Amaya and its PC connected to a 4 port switch that is actually connected through a 16 port switch to the network.

I have never had any issue with communication.

Note: note if I had I would have installed a second ethernet card..

I have also used several computers and other configurations and not had issues.

So from what I have seen it seems the Network segregation issue is a way for Melco to ignore some other underlying flaw in the software.

Not looking for a fight just stating a fact that I have had issues, but never network communication issues.
          [email protected]
          Jerome in Minnesota
          (320)259-1151

Comment

Melco has seen issues in the past with other networking on the same card.
            I am glad to hear it works for you
            Melco is not ignoring other issues in this but trying to lay a good solid path of cumminication between AOS and the AMAYA's for all types of users and systems
            Thanks again

Comment

To back Mike up - we have ALWAYS been told either use your machine dedicated with your Amaya or have 2 network cards - and do not run the amaya over the same network as the rest of your computers.

We have 2 network cards on our machine - one of which is dedicated to our 3 amayas.
              John Yaglenski
              Amayausers.com - Webmaster
              Levelbest Embroidery - Owner
              Hilton Head Island, SC
              http://www.levelbestembroidery.com

Comment

I don't say they don't insist apon 2 network cards.
                They do...

My point is they are not necessary at least for me they are not.

and I have a more complex net then most.

If you just are restating Melco's requirement I am not contesting.

But the fact remains I have never had a conflict using only one NIC and the AMAYA OS.

IN 4 years it has not been an issue.

and frankly the way networking is done it should never be.

JMHO
                [email protected]
                Jerome in Minnesota
                (320)259-1151

Comment

I completely agree with the above reply. I used to run a 250 end-user network for a high security corporation so I know a thing or two about networks. You do NOT need two network cards! If you have a network router correctly configured for the internet and the machines (your end-users), you will be just fine. My assumption why Melco supports the concept of dedicated NIC cards is for easier troubleshooting only and/or because the newer routers themselves have become more advanced and the Amaya's can only communicate through a simple switch which means a conflict could arise with a gateway modem if not correctly configured. I can't think of any other reason why their advice is for dedicated NIC cards. I've run multiple XT's, network printers, and internet on one PC that is part of a small network. Never a conflict. I often surf online and check emails while a large design is running. The Amaya OS software is written in an outdated Windows 95 platform and very minor updates have been made since then. This is the cause for the incompatibility issues everyone experiences, especially with refresh rates on video cards and memory issues. Think of how much more memory you now have on your PC than you did with a 95 computer? Of course it's going to crash at times. I'm suprised it doesn't do it more often, but these are the minor updates made which have diverted the system resources. Just look at the icons and taskbars ... old, old, old! It costs a fortune to rewrite software and it's probably just not in their budget. They're forced to rewrite these "minor" updates (which also cost a fortune) just to keep treading in the mainstream of technology because every year Windows OS and PC's get faster, memory is increased, external devices added, etc. I think the XTs are amazing work horses and their original software setup worked very well with the technology in Windows '95. I find no reason to invest in software anymore unless and until it's completely rewritten and a legitimate UPGRADE rather than an UPDATE. In the meantime, they should offer the updates and make them easily available rather than front the updates as upgrades. An upgrade would look completely different, be re-written from scratch for the present Windows operating system and newer technology platforms and devices. Melco's updates are only corrections to their original software and oftentimes I have found that in their scripting a correction for one issue, another issues gets a conflict or ceases to work altogether. In IT, we call this practice "band-aiding" problems and it's a nightmare when so many bandages are overlapping each other. Even their automatic updates program is old technology. The update server seems to drop the process during the handshaking or connection point. No one uses that technology anymore! It would be smart business sense for Melco to be honest and upfront about their struggle. I think their supporters would be there for them. I know I would be. The XT's are only as good as the software that is available and, in my opinion, this is the area they should focus on most to avoid their loyal customers from feeling ripped off. I will remain loyal to Melco and their equipment/software because I think it's still the best in the industry for quality embroidery and I have faith that Melco will eventually "get it" and focus on the right thing. I have always received great technical support when needed. I also understand the frustration of the end-users who may not have technical knowledge to troubleshoot their setups. We just need to be more patient and help each other the best we can.

GF

Comment

GF,
                    You've really "hit the nail on the head" with this explanation!
                    I, too love my XTS, but do find most problems/bugs with the software.
                    Thanks!
                    Thanks!<br />MJ, Everything Embroidered

Comment

AMEN!
                      [email protected]
                      Jerome in Minnesota
                      (320)259-1151

Comment

GF,
                        such an illuminating reply, and another reason why this site is so unvaluable.

Your explanations help me to relax about the 'problem' I have: not being able to connect, or only partially connect to the internet when my Amaya XT is turned on. I had a satellite put up on our isolated farm house many months ago, and have a router with 4 ethernet cable entry points, into which I put the Amaya ethernet cable, as the single ethernet entry into the main computer, takes the ethernet from the router.

I have another computer, a laptop, which is wirelessly connected, and I have been wondering if I should load the Amaya software onto this computer, and then plug the Amaya ethernet cable into the also-single ethernet input in the laptop.

I have little understanding of computers, but try to read as much as I can and hope some sinks in. I have read and re-read your extensive reply and this has eased my mind, and settled the still-muddy waters a little.

Thank you, GF!
                        amayaki

Comment

You wil prob. get good results by using the laptop with a cross over cable to hook up to the Amaya. the internet/net work would be avab. to you wirelessly if needed but since your other computer would be free you may find yourself using it and your Amaya would be left to use the laptop.

Be sure to set the laptop up to stay on and not go to sleep while running the machine...
                          [email protected]
                          Jerome in Minnesota
                          (320)259-1151

Comment

Thanks for all the info

Comment

GF,

Is it difficult to configure the wireless router to operate the amaya from a computer connected wireless to the router?

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X