frequent threadnesting .... why??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frequent threadnesting .... why??

While doing a design using one color (needle 3), at least 2x with each stitch out the thread would nest and jam around the cutter and then wouldn't cut properly. It's like too much top thread is being pulled down. One thing I noticed, is that, although the pinch roller was down (and secure - thread not moving), by the time I worked to fix the mess, I noticed that thread could easily be puled thru the pinch roller even though it was physically in the down position. Do these 2 things correlate with one another? I have the XTS and just got it this past December... really isn't used that much. Help is appreciated. thanks... diane

Hi Diane,
    Raise up the pinch lever and make sure your thread is in the little "V" notch toward the back in the cap of the thread feed roller (the little black cover that goes over the roller). Then put your lever back down and you should be good to go (after cleaning out all pieces of thread from your nesting). You should not be able to pull thread through the pinch roller now.
    Sharon
    Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Diane,

To add to what Sharon has said....if you can easily pull thread through the roller, it is not making solid contact between the two rollors. The pinch ( red ) roller is being held up by, probably, the threadfeed roller face cover not being completely snapped in place or is not lining up with the hole in the faceplate cover.

I have seen situations where a pinch lever appears warped and does not allow the red roller to sit flush with the threadfeed roller.

Regardless, this is where the problem area is. Find the cause of why the red roller is not putting pressure on the threadfeed roller and your problem will be solved.

If you relubricate the pinch and/or the threadfeed roller, make "absolutely" sure that you do not allow "any" grease to contact the surface of either one. If you do, the thread will feed off to the left side of the roller and then cause a birdnest. These rollers should only be cleaned with warm soapy water.

Rod Springer
      Amaya Tech & Trainer
      Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

When I would start sewing, I always made sure that the thread was in the V and that I wasn't able to pull the thread through when the pinch roller was down. When the machine would jam up (thread nesting near the cutter), it was at that time that I also noticed that now I was able to pull the thread through the pinch roller. So.. I'm guessing that in the course of sewing, the pinch roller was no flush with the thread feed roller causing more thread to get pulled underneath the fabric...... is this feasible???

Comment

When this has happened to me, I have found in most cases, that one of the little "prongs" that are on the red pinch roller is cracked or completely broken off of the roller itself. This causes, the roller to wobble, giving me the same intermittent effect you are talking about. I usually just remove it, clean & lubricate a new one, put it on and I'm back in business. I always keep a handful of those little boogers on hand for this reason.
          Gregory

Comment

I can't detect anything wrong with the red roller

Comment

Take off the little black cover that covers the rubber feed roller & make sure that one of the brass bushings is not missing, if so replace (try to find lost bushing- hit or miss). Clean & lubricate with emb-polymer grease and put back together & give that a try.
              Gregory

Comment

Working...
              X