cap frame whine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cap frame whine

From time to time, the cap frame on one of my XT's makes this resonating "whine" (for lack of a better word). I stop it, restart it, and it is fine, usually for the rest of the day. I lubricate these machines like it is a religion, so am I missing something- perhaps an adjustment is needed?
    Gregory

Greg,

It could be that the axis cable tension needs to be adjusted...

Rod Springer
    Amaya Tech & Trainer
    Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

That should read X axis cable tension.

Rod

Comment

Thanks, Rod. I figured that it was something that I would need Vince, my tech to take a look at. I will be calling him by the end of next month anyway to give the machines a good look-over before we gear-up for the Christmas rush around here. I will also go into the help section of OS and see if it's something that I can do for myself. I know I got that flat guage to do it with, now if only I can figure out the procedure and do it.
        Gregory

Comment

Just took a look in help & the procedure is straightforward enough, I think I can do it tomorrow when we are not running production. Will let you know if it was the culprit or not.
          Gregory

Comment

How often should we have to expect to make this adjustment under normal everyday use averaging 8hrs a day?? How often is too often??

Comment

It took mine over 2 years to start the whine, but when I went to perform the procedure the cable was way loose, so I probably will inspect/ tighten if needed about once a year. By the way- the instructions said to turn the cable with a pair of pliers- made more sense to me to rotate the nut- after so many turns the cable starts twisting- worked the same without twisting the cable. What do you think, Rod?
              P.S.- It was the culprit- tightened it up and the whine totally disappeared.
              Gregory

Comment

This depends on whether or not this is an XT or a Big Red.

On an XT, the cable attachment points are located on both sides of the machine and can be adjusted by tightening or loosening the respective nuts. The cable end, not the cable itself, should be held with pliers as the nut is tightened or loosened, to prevent twisting of the cable.

On a Big Red, the left upper arm cover,(black plastic cover), must be removed to access the adjustment nut and spring on one end of the cable. Pliers should be used on the cable end to prevent twisting of the cable. If there is not enough adjustment in this screw to properly tighten the cable to spec, then the cable must be stretched manually from the right side of the machine by loosening a U bolt and pulling the cable very tight and then reclamping it. Extreem care must be taken in pulling on this cable as it can and will break . This is why the change to the current system is found on the new XT versions.

The correct tension of the cable should be 10 plus or minus 1/2 pound. I use a force guage to measure and set this tension.

Rid Springer
                Amaya Tech & Trainer

Comment

I thought that would be the way to go about it, but in my OS ver. 10 software it says to turn the cable, not the nut. Maybe I should tell Melco about this next time I have to call them.
                  Gregory

Comment

Working...
                  X