Thread Breaks/Pull on Needle 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thread Breaks/Pull on Needle 6

I seem to be experiencing thread breaks on only one needle (#6). Gears and everything obvious is okay (needle, foot, tension, design elements, oil, maintenance, rollers). What else can I check? The way the thread breaks seems like the thread is being pulled out of the needle rather than breaking during sewing. Bobbin tension seems well adjusted as the other needles seem fine sewing the design.

Sounds like the needle bar is out of time.
    Gregory

Comment

And how does one correct that?

Comment

I sometimes can "limp" on a needle that is out of time by turning the needle eye a little more to the right (rarely left) and get by for a while; but, generally, I have to give my tech a call & have him come out. While I have him here I have him give all of the machines a good look over.
        Gregory

Comment

When a problem is associated with one particular needle there are specific things to look for.

1. Physically remove the red pinch roller and the inner threadfeed roller. Are they lubricated well?

2. Visually, with a flashlite, check down inside the threadfeed roller pocket for any thread that may be wrapped around the gears and shaft in that area. Any excess drag or binding of the rollers will affect the proper amount of thread being fed which in turn will result in fraying and/or breakage.

3. It may possibly be the thread. Does it happen regardless of the cone of thread that is used on the #6 needle? Have you changed to a different cone of thread? A case in point....while I was working on a machine, the operater was sewing on a machine next to me. Continuous thread breaks finally led me to ask what was going on. He had just changed to a new cone of black thread. I asked if he had had any issues prior to changing thread cones, he said no. I had him change to another new black cone of thread, same problem....I had him put the original black cone back on that still had some thread left on it....problem immediately went away. Tried a third new cone of thread and problem had disapeared. Bad lot of thread was the issue in his case....sometimes stripping off 20+ yards of thread off of a new cone will get you down to thread that may not have been exposed to ultra violet. We have no way of knowing how old the threads are that we purchase from our vendors. Could be fresh, could be years old...?

4. Have you checked the hook timing closely. Hook timing is checked and adjusted on the "closet" needle. Logically, if there is a closet needle, then there is also a fartherest needle. The closest and fartherest needle designations are located and written on the lower right side of the base casting under the machine table top. Each machine is different. If the needleguard gap is excessive on the closet needle then it will be "extremely" excessive on the fartherest needle. This would lead to problems for the rotary hook to pick up the top and/or bobbin thread properly, resulting in thread breaks and/or fraying. The hook timing may be good as far as being advanced or retarded, but if the needleguard gap isn't also set properly, well nuff said....Also, each needle may have it's own gap but is strickly dependent of the closet needle having the needleguard gap set as close as possible to the back side of the needle during the hook timing procedure.

5. Design issues....does it happen regardless of the design being sewn? Rule of thumb....the narrower the column or shorter the stitch that is being sewn, the more apt the fartherest needles will miss picking up the top and/or bobbin thread and completing a stitch.

6. Combine all of this with the needle being oriented properly left and right which can also be specific to the type and brand of thread being used and the speed it is being sew at....well nuff said again...

Rod Springer
          Amaya Tech & Trainer
          Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Thank you Rod! I did all but #4 ... don't understand what you're speaking of. All the other numbers have been checked and done. I'd like to know more how to set the needleguard gap?

Comment

Refer to your Parts and Tech CD. Do a search for "Hook Timing Procedure". It very clearly describes this procedure, with pictures. All of the information must be followed precisely including the setting of the support finger after any adjustments of the hook timing...

Rod Springer
              Amaya Tech & Trainer
              Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Working...
              X