Conventional Cap Frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conventional Cap Frame

I just received my new conventional cap frame and I'm not shocked that there are absolutely no instructions along with the frame. I know it's probably so basic to use, but if anyone can steer me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. I've lost 10 hats to the WACF and I can't afford to lose more in this order.
    Thank You!
    Mary Nason <br />Owner<br />Hunny\'s Boutique<br />New Durham, NH<br />[email protected]<br />hunnysboutique.com

Hi Mary. The hat goes on a LOT like the WACF, without all of the twisting/turning/clipping.

Put frame on hooping device and open it.
    Put down a piece of cat/cap backing.
    Open up the sweatband on the hat.
    Put hat onto frame.
    Grab it by the back and pull DOWN while putting the frame over the bill.
    I find that on 6 panel hats, the seams will just about lign with the edges of the front of the frame as you close it.
    As you're closing, smooth it down and get it as flat as possible.
    Clamp and you're done.

I always put a piece of tape across the brim so there are no rub marks from the brim hitting the back of the needlecase.

I always put the design as close to the brim as possible. I find the lower I go that way, the less it pulls the top of the hat against the end of the tubular arm and I have less registration problems.

Probably clear as mud, but I'm not known for my gift of description!

HTH,
    Judy

Comment

Thank you Judy. Your instructions were perfect. My hats are running along, smoothly now!
      Mary Nason <br />Owner<br />Hunny\'s Boutique<br />New Durham, NH<br />[email protected]<br />hunnysboutique.com

Comment

Did you order the 'brim hold down' I suggested? It solves the problem of 'brim rub' from the back of the needle case, and also prevents the 'distortion' that happens as it sews while rubbing against the back. Our service tech showed me how bad it gets.
        I put them on all of our CCF frames and haven't had to add 'tape' or had a front panel 'move' while sewing since.

Comment

I searched the website and the catalog backwards, forwards and upside down and could not find the brim holder!!!!
          I looked on the site with the item # you gave me and it didn't come up with anything.
          I will probably have to call MelcoMart and order it over the phone.....still hate that website....lol

Comment

Yup, you have to order it by phone-it is a super secret part, limited only to special people...LOL....
            but you will be amazed at the difference it makes.
            Judy, you should get them also-no more 'rub' marks and your designs will stay in tight register because the face panel isn't moving. Watch a hat when you 'trace' a design and it rubs on the back-the 'face' will actually move as the brim rubs. Poor registration, and needle breaks happen because of it.

Comment

Maybe once someone figures out what the part # is they can post it here? I normally use tape as well and don't seem to have many registration issues with the CCF but wouldn't mind trying these out.
              Aaron Sargent<br />Pegboard<br />541-727-1440

Comment

I know it's here in the archives but I'll post it again...

#12180 WACC brim holder

why they can't automatically include it with the CCF frame I don't know-but making it a separate part means they can soak you for another $20 or so. I paid $19 apiece for 3 of them over a year ago.
                A screwdriver and 10 minutes is all it takes to put it on.

Comment

Thanks Roland. I will order a few next time I order from Melcomart.
                  Aaron Sargent<br />Pegboard<br />541-727-1440

Comment

Just in case anyone wonders if you can convert the brim holder from the WACF to the CCF...nope. I was going to-but the threaded holes are in the wrong place and there is not enough room to drill out for new holes. Darn...the WACF has a much better clamping system for the brim...the CCF 'adaptor' is not much more than a foot of mini bungee cord!
                    But it works!

Comment

Working...
                    X