Rotary Hook Replacement part #

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotary Hook Replacement part #

I have an Amaya XT serial number 923585 and looking to purchase a replacement rotary hook. The parts manual for my machine lists the part number as 32644 but the only thing close to it at Meclo is 32644-1.

This machine is used for testing our digitized designs so doesn't have the mileage on it that a shop machine would have. The manual says the life expectancy for the rotary hook is 2 years under normal use. This one is about four years old and I am looking to install a replacement part as a preventive action.

Does anyone know if this 32644-1 is the correct part number for my machine and if so why the -1 designation? Is this a modified version of the original? Plus it's about twice the cost of any other rotary hooks listed on Melco's site.

Thanks for any help.
    Rick
    Rick Booker
    BFC-Creations.com
    Melco EMT 16X

Rick,
    When you have a part number without a -1 behind it, it is understood to have a -1 by all those who need to know. With every significant change Melco makes to the part, then they will give it a -2 or -3 to identify it's not the same as the original part. A lot of parts are downward compatible yet others are specific to only fit on machines within a certain serial number group.

The Amaya uses a higher grade Rotary hook than all other Melco machines from the past for the simple reason of how fast the machine sews. For every stitch the machine makes, the rotary hook spins twice. Hence, if you are sewing at 1,250 stitches per minute, the rotary hook is spinning at 5,000 RPM. This is why the cost is higher.

As for the rotary hook replacement consideration, I've seen rotary hooks last 10 years and I've seen rotary hooks in need of replacement after only a few stitches. In short, if your machine is running fine, don't mess with your rotary hook. Make sure you're oiling it with one drop every three to four hours of operation and it wouldn't hurt to have one as a spare.

If you haven't had training on how to replace a rotary hook, the average machine operator will not be able to get the timing close enough and then you will have to have a tech visit.
    If you decide to give it a try, more power to you.
    If you need help, consider Russell Silva - Melco Tech who lives in your backyard.

Ed Orantes
    Melco Tech & Trainer
    504-258-6260
    -The Embroidery Authority-<br /><br />\"Turning your Problems into Production.\"<br />Ed Orantes<br />504-258-6260

Comment

Ed,

Thank you for the part number information.

However,I did manage to find the differences between the part numbers. 32644-01 is a coated version and 32644 is uncoated. I just found that information this morning in the tech manual. Crazy me figured that information would have been in the parts manual.

Visual inspection of the rotary hook on my machine does not reveal a lot of wear and tear and it spins freely. However after reading the statement in the tech manual that the life expectancy for it under normal conditions is two years I think it prudent to have one on hand in the event it decides to go fubar on us. If it lasts ten years great. If not I'll have one to replace it with and keep working.

I have checked/set the hook timing & needle guard gap three or four times, removed it completely once and did not find it that difficult to do. The instructions in the technical manual are pretty simple to follow. Some of the photographs provided were pretty poor but after I copied them to my hard drive and brightened them in an imaging program I could make out the details good enough.

Thanks again for the information.
      Rick
      Rick Booker
      BFC-Creations.com
      Melco EMT 16X

Comment

Working...
      X