Big Red needle bar stuck down and in between colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Red needle bar stuck down and in between colors

First off I'd like to say thanks to all of you experts, my embroidery has improved and my eye has gotten more critical by reading your posts.

My big red has crashed this afternoon, it has a needle bar stuck down and it is jammed between needles two and three. None of the software commands are functional. It can't home if it is turned off and then back on. Anything that I can try? Any good techs in the area north of Chicago?

Thanks - Jeni

Jeni,

This is usually caused by the optical laser sensor that controls the color index feature of the needlecase becoming contaminated with oil, lint or other debris. Big Reds have an optical sensor for the color index and also one for the home position of the needlecase. XT Amayas do not have these particular optical sensors.

Try this, with the E-Stop pushed in(engauged) or if the machine is presently turned off...leave it off. Push the X-carriage back to the rear of the machine. The X-carriage is what the hoop arms are attached to. Just above the sewing arm, behind the needlecase, you will see a rectangular hole in the machine casting. Inside of this hole you will see a silver rod that runs from about the back of the needlecase area back towards the rear of the machine. This is called the Z-axis shaft.

See if you can turn this shaft in either direction. It may take some force, but use your hands only, no pliers, pipe wrenches or the like. If you can, luck will be with you. If it turns and you can lift the needlebar to a point where all of the takeup levers are lined up with each other and the needlebars are all in their upper most position, you are half way home.

If you can do the above, try physically pushing the needlecase to where a needle is lined up with the presser foot. I hesitate telling you to just turn on the machine again when the needlecase is between needles as it could dislodge the needlebar stud from the reciprocator jaw and let the needlebar drop free which would mean you now have a bigger problem then you started with. If you can do this, it is now time to use an air compresser or canned air and phyically blow the sensor out agressively. Now turn on the machine and let it initialize. If the optical sensor has been decontaminated and assuming that it is not defective, the machine should return back to normal operation.

If you cannot do the above, it is probably time to call on a tech for onsite assistance.

Rod Springer
    Amaya Tech & Trainer
    Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Thanks Rod! I can't believe you are surfing the Amaya boards already....Thanks!

Unfortunately it looks like I'll need a tech. The Z-axis shaft will move pretty easily but not enough to raise the needle bar. It is number 2 needle that is down, and the needle case won't move far enough in that direction to line up the needle & foot. If I line #3 needle it drops but is easily picked back up.

Jeni

Comment

Jeni,

Just curious, when you have the #3 needlebar lined up, can you move the #2 needlebar up and down using your fingers? It should be able to move some, if not it may be frozen.....

Rod Springer
        Amaya Tech & Trainer
        Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

It doesn't move much, my guess is that it is frozen. I called Allen Baumgartner, he is listed on the Melco-Service website and he'll be able to look at it Monday. -Jeni

Comment

Working...
          X